Posted on Friday, March 15th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by da2d56e7

Company: MSN Internet Service - their server crashed, unable to access account - trouble working through this situation with MSN customer service

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on March 13, 2002:

From: brian emfield [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_23178#]

MSN appears to have lost the ability to provide customer service. On 03-12 and 03-13-2002 they had a major server crash. As hundreds, possibly thousands of customers found out that they were unable to gain access to their various accounts. Many people did as I did and called customer service. After waiting an extended period of time I was able to speak with a real person.

The rep could not give a time frame of when the server was to be fixed other than to call back in 2 to 3 hours. I tried several times during the next 24 hours and their system was still down and the rep said if' its still down in 24 hours call us back. They were unable to give any time frame as to how long their service was going to be down. The next time I spoke with the rep and explained that due to MSNs neglect that it was creating problems that I was unable to do my business as needed through my internet source. I asked if MSN was going to credit the account due to the down time. It was at this point the minimum wage employee refered me to his supervisor. I again explained that I was concerned due to the length of time that the server was down and proceeded to get an ear full from the supervisor that MSN was not for commerical use.

I attempted to explain that the business I was refering to was my personal financial books and so forth. This employee would not listen and was the most rude phone operator that I have dealt with. He became so angered of the questions that I posed of him that he hung up. As anyone with experience in phone centers know that this type of conduct is a termination type offense. It appears that the supervisor was less informed than the rep that he supervises. I then proceeded to call back and ask for the consumer complaint department and was informed that they would not give out a number where I could talk to a representative. They would provide me with the email address (remember the servers are down) or a fax number to send a letter of concern to. Due to the internet being down I chose to write a concern letter and fax it to MSN. I asked for a representative to call back. I did not receive any phone calls back to discuss the issue with MSN. I then proceeded to call the accouting section at the request of one of the reps. I was told that MSN will not credit for their error unless the service is down for more than 2 weeks. I explained to the rep that their policy was ubsurd. Think of the fact that you have paid for a full months of service IN ADVANCE and they fail to provide you with the service. In many States and Jurisdictions this is falls under the theft or larcney statutues. When you finally get ready to pull the plug because the lack of service and the lack of response, do not rely upon the 800 number to disconnect. When you dial all of the numbers provided to cancel the account and import the last number you will be sent into the twighlight zone as the phone goes silent and never connects with a person to terminate the account.

MSN is not so dumb, they know that to make money you have to keep customers and if you do not allow them to disconnect you can hold onto quite a few. COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_23178# (Soon to change to another provider)