Posted on Tuesday, July 1st, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by 3f6175f2

Company: 2002 Toyota Highlander - tire jack buckled, failed during use - almost got seriously injured

# 5 for June 30, 2003

Complaints.com received the following on June 29, 2003:

From: Carissa NOSACK [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_30260#]

RE: 2002 Toyota Highlander - tire jack buckled, failed during use - almost got seriously injured

2002 Highlander…….First time to use the tire jack. It bent and buckled while it was being raised enough to put on the new tire. The car fell , pinning my hand between the wheel well cover and the spare tire.

My hand could have been amputated….it was a miracle that I was able to yank it out causing only severe bruising. There is a major defect with the jack, and all need to be aware that it is very flimmzy and could create similar problems.

4f969bfd, 2011-04-30, 12:42PM CDT

I also had a similar problem when trying to change a tire on my 2008 solara. The jack swayed and almost fell while i was removing a wheel, and I ammediately lowerad the jack and used a different jack to get the job done. Please let me know if and how you reported this to toyota and what was the results.

a61b516c, 2011-06-24, 08:28AM CDT

I just experienced the same thing(,the jack buckled to where the threaded rod is bent so bad it can't be turned. I had to put the car in drive to dislodge the jack from the under carriage.Thankfully I had just finished getting the replacement tire on when it happened.

My highlander is an 02 model and the jack was used for the first time.6-24-11