1997 Mercury Grand Marquis - Intake Manifold Failure

Company: 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis - Intake Manifold Failure

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on June 5, 2002:

From:

RE: 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis - Intake Manifold Failure

In March of this year, we mailed the attached letter to Ford Motor Company, followed by numerous telephone calls to various departments and management within Ford in an effort to resolve this problem. Response to our complaint has been a disappointment and we regret having placed our confidence in Ford Motor Company to stand behind their product.

We are hoping that by publishing our story, along with others who have experienced the same problem, that Ford management will seriously reconsider its position in this regard. Thank you. David and Janet Knutson * * * * *

Ford Motor Company

Customer Relations Center

16800 Executive Plaza Drive

Post Office Box 6248

Dearborn, MI 48121 RE: 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis

Current Mileage: 52,800 Dear Sir/Madam: My wife, Janet, and I are loyal Ford customers. We currently own a 1994 Cougar, the above-referenced 1997 Grand Marquis and a 2000 E-250 van -- and have owned Ford vans since 1977. We are writing to you concerning a serious issue with our 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis. Recently the nylon/plastic intake manifold developed a hairline crack at the thermostat housing and began to leak coolant. I researched this failure on the internet and found that Ford had recalled the 1997 Crown Victoria V-8-281 4.6 L VIN 6 SFI for this same problem, Technical Service Bulletin Number 01M02 (the Crown Victoria and the Grand Marquis are made on the same assembly facility on the same line and are virtually indistinguishable vehicles).

The biggest disappointment is the fact if I had purchased a cheaper model; the Crown Victoria, I would have been covered for this warranty issue. In talking to Mercury service representatives, I also found they recalled the intake manifold on the Thunderbird and Mercury Cougars for that year, as well. Enclosed is a copy of the Crown Victoria intake manifold recalls. Also enclosed is a letter from a friend who actually had the intake manifold on his 1996 Mercury Cougar replaced under a recall. Because of my concern over the leak, I called the Maroone Lincoln/Mercury dealer in Lake Park, FL and discussed the repair with the service representative. He told me that there was no recall for this part on the Grand Marquis, even though it is the same engine as the Thunderbird, Cougar and Crown Victoria. I then called the Ford customer service line and spoke to a representative who took down all my information and researched the Ford data bank. I was again told that there was no recall on this particular part for the Mercury Grand Marquis and I had no recourse with Ford. She took all of my information, told me that she would submit it to Ford customer relations for consideration, and that I should save all my receipts in case a recall was established later. My service representative at Maroone was courteous, but indicated he had discussed this with the service manager and that this defect would not be covered by Ford. I'm used to repairs of rotating equipment like alternators, starters, and other wear-out items on cars. I do not believe that this failure is one that is a wear-out item. It appears that this is a design defect. I was shocked at the outrageous price for the replacement part and installation. My total bill (a copy of which is enclosed) was $1,040.00. Five hundred and twenty eight dollars of the bill was for an upgraded part which had been changed from nylon to aluminum - in the area where the failure occurred in my particular part. It makes no sense to use plastic in an area that sees 15 psi and temperatures of 200

94c042dc, 2008-02-26, 11:15AM CST

My wife and I also own a 1997 Mercury Marquis. We have the same exact problem with the intake manifole cracking and leaking coolant. We recieved a recall notice, but were out of town at the time and the recall notice is lost. I hope this comment somwhow finds it's way back to Ford/Mercury as paying for a car once should be enough. We pais perfect money for the car and we expect nothing more or less than a perfect car. Mike Boutwell

e416b3ba, 2008-03-10, 07:23PM CDT

same exact problem for me. I drove my 97 grand marquis home from work about 4 miles away from home, and in the driveway smoke pours out from underneath the hood. I thought it was a hose or something minor. So I reserched it online and found out that many others had the same problem and it wasnt cheap to fix. Come to find out 2 days later its the same problem, and 1100$ later my car runs again... I would love to find out that there is a recall on this product.

ccb4c87c, 2008-03-16, 08:52PM CDT

Just found out that we have the same problem. Cracked intake manifold on 1997 Mercury Gran Marquis. We are disappointed to hear about the reluctance of Ford Motor Company to include this in the mentioned recall. Add us to the list of dissatisfied customers.

dfaa08be, 2008-04-27, 09:44AM CDT

We have suffered the same problem on our 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis with the fractured "Plastic" manifold , if this isn't the stupidest place to try to use plastic. We have been loyal Ford product owners for 50+ years and this is how they repay us??? Maybe one of the Fat Cats could kick back a little of his performance bonus and help a customer out.

7385ea42, 2008-05-05, 03:54PM CDT

same exact problem, however i was told i can remove a plenum(plastic part) from a new manifold and just replace that... bringing the total down to about 400 instead of 1100.

7702520b, 2008-06-02, 04:06PM CDT

I also had a ctatstrophic intake manifold failure on my '97 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, on my back home to Kansas from Texas. The car lost all coolant some where in the middle of Texas, with nothing around. I had the car towed 14 miles to the nearest hotel, a $280 ride. At the hotel, I called Ford Customer Service, and was told they were not interested in the slightest with my problem. I called Performance Ford, in Fairfield, TX, the closest Ford dealer to my location to see about just getting the car repaired and getting back to Kansas. Performance Ford didn't even bother to call back with a quote. After owning two F150's, a Ranger, a Cougar, two Tauruses, and three LTD's, I assured Ford that this will be, the de facto last Ford product I ever own.

It's a real shame, too. It's a nice car, but it is plagued by faulty engineering that Ford will only stand behind if made to. Henry Ford is likely rolling over in his grave.

To any Ford employees reading this.....I have spent a lot of money with Ford products, and stuck up for your cars and trucks to people who hated them. You just made another person who doesn't hate your product, but worse, hates your company, and will never buy anything from Ford again on that basis.

00adc9f4, 2008-06-19, 03:42PM CDT

After I bought this 1997 Marquis I found out about the recall. The car was purchased from an estate and the recall notice went unattended. I contacted Ford/Mercury asking that I be allowed to take advantage of the recall. This was 2 months after the recall had expired. By the way, Ford/Mercury allowed 4 months for owners to notify them and receive the recall service. I received an absolute NO. How unreasonable is that!? Under the circumstances and to allow only 4 months to take advantage of a manufacturers defect is UNREASONABLE. I' now dumping $963 to correct Mercury's problem

c6dd1e92, 2008-07-03, 09:32AM CDT

I own a 99 Grand Marquis, with the same hair line crack. However, I don't have a thousand dollars to get this thing fixed. so I make sure I keep coolant in the car, hopefully not damaging anything else!

000e8bdb, 2008-07-16, 10:57PM CDT

We've had the same problem. My 97 Grand Marquis' plastic intake failed while I was on the interstate. By the time I realized that something was wrong the engine had blown!

They said it was noted in a TSB but not a recall. Not enough engines were ruined to warrant a recall. However, they are cheating on this. This is the same engine used on the Mustang, Victoria, and others. They are failing on those cars as well. I know, because when my engine was replaced the mechanic used a Mustang engine. Guess what - three years later the manifold on that engine failed as well!

That makes Ford 2 for 2 for me. And they wonder why we are no longer buying American made automobiles?

Rich Gant

b9d145b8, 2008-07-22, 02:28PM CDT

I too had the same intake manifold failure. The lucky fact is I was driving. The 1996 Cougar is my 18 year old daugther's car. When the intake split and blew antifreeze over the engine, it caused the belt to slip and I lost power steering on an interstate exit. If she were driving, no telling what could have happened. It was fortunate a service center was just off the exit. I pulled in and turned off the engine before it froze up from excessive heat. Cost -- $930

fa1b49d2, 2008-10-27, 01:02AM CDT

fa61b301, 2009-01-19, 10:18PM CST

I am now finishing up the replacement of the intake. It cracked at thermostat housing like many of the others. The car is 1999 Grand Marquis. It was in my uncles estate and as he was elderly he never responded to the recall notice, itmay have never reached him. At any rate my concern is that Ford is not taking care of any and of these failures. If it were a safety matter it would be no problem. Since it cost in excess of 1000 dollars to correct if you can't do it yourself and there are millions of these engines it looks like a multi billion dollar windfall for producing defective cars. It could not have been a secret to ford and their engineers. Lets assume it wasn't detected, that make their design and engineering team the absolute moron's that their public relations team is currently. Thankfully I can "wrench it" a little and after 10 hours and a real sore back it is getting fixed with an aftermarket part that has aluminum in the trouble spot.

af689d55, 2010-09-02, 02:02PM CDT

I find the below posted comment in-correct and ignorant. Most all of these failures (including mine that occured yesterday) are on Merc Marquis and related models with less than 60,000 miles, no apparent overheating issues (until after the failures), etc. Thus, the plastic manifold is not acceptable, and it is apparent that FORD agrees because the replacement is upgraded.

"The type of "plastic" that is used as the intake manifold on these vehicles is designed and able to handle the amount of pressures and temperatures that are present under normal operating conditions. It is made of material that has been tried and true to work under those contitions or it would not have been used at all. It is only when coolant is not kept up properly under the proper coolant-to-water ratios and/or up to levels that overheat conditions occur and then cracks develop. That is why Ford is not going to do much for you. If you get cavities in your teeth, you can't get restituion from your dentist. By the same token, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of repairs. Take better care of your car and don't complain if things break down due to neglegence."

f97d3597, 2010-11-09, 12:48AM CST

2010 Mercury Grand Marquis is a fine car so large and substantially build that over years ir has formed its reputation as US's favorite large-sized car!No wonder you'll find it a lot on the streets

here..The maintanance costs are low and the car parts if at all at stake can be easily repaired mechanically with ease!