Posted on Saturday, June 29th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 48b0311b

Company: RCN Chicago - bronze resi-link package for DSL & local phone - unexpected charges - poor service

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on June 27, 2002:

From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_29760#

RE: RCN Chicago - bronze resi-link package for DSL & local phone - unexpected charges - poor service

My complaint is on RCN. CHICAGO

IN JAN, 2002, I SIGNED UP FOR THE BRONZE RESI-LINK PCKG WITH RCN CHICAGO. FOR $75/MO (AND FOR THE 1ST 4 MOS IT WOULD BE $62.50/MO) FOR DSL INTERNET & MY LOCAL PHONE. I HAVE ATTACHED A LETTER I WROTE TO THE CEO (AT LEAST THAT'S WHO RCN TOLD ME WAS THEIR CEO) WHO NEVER REPLIED.

THE FIRST THING THAT HAPPENED AFTER I SIGNED UP AND THEY INSTALLED MY DSL INTERNET MODEM IS THEY TOLD ME THERE WOULD BE "A LA CARTE" CHARGES UNTIL MY PHONE COULD BE SWITCHED OVER. NO-ONE EVER MENTIONED SUCH CHARGES, ALL I WAS TOLD IS THAT IT WOULD BE $62.50/ MO.

IT IS NOW ALMOST 5 MOS LATER, I HAVE NEVER BEEN BILLED ONLY $62.50/MONTH AND I HAVE BEEN REQUESTING DISCONNECTION SINCE MAY 5TH ON MY PHONE AND I CAN'T GET RID OF THEM. FINALLY I DISCOVERED THAT I WOULD HAVE TO RETURN TO AMERITECH BEFORE I COULD SUBSCRIBE TO MCI - THE PHONE SERVICE I'D CHOSEN.

ONE MONTH I PAID 62.50 BY CHECK IN THE MAIL AND THEY CLAIMED THEY NEVER RECEIVED IT FOR OVER A MONTH, WHEN I SENT IN ANOTHER CHECK, THEY CASHED THE NEW ONE AND THE OLD ONE THEY HAD HELD FOR OVER A MONTH.

ON JUNE 13TH I MADE A CREDIT CARD PAYMENT BY PHONE WHICH THEY HAVE NOT RECORDED AND THEY SENT ME A DISCONNECTION NOTICE FOR JUNE 28TH. I AM AFRAID TO REPAY BECUASE THEY MAY SUDDENLY FIND MY FIRST PAYMENT AND CHARGE ME FOR BOTH. FINANCIAL SERVICES TAKES MY NUMBER FOR CALL BACK BUT NEVER CALLS BACK.

I THINK THIS COMPANY MAY BE GUILTY OF BAIT AND SWITCH. I KNOW THEY ARE EXTREMELY DISORGANIZED AND CUSTOMER UNFRIENDLY.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW.

J.D. WURZELBACHER