Goodwill Industries - Goodwill Industries, San Francisco, Geary / Hyde Street - unpleasant experience

Posted on Monday, June 24th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 7b6c219f

Company: Goodwill Industries

Location: Geary / Hyde Street
SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US

Category: Stores, Shopping

I just had a very disagreeable experience with the Goodwill San Francisco store at Geary near Hyde Streets. Inspired by someone in my building who was having a moving sale, I decided to do some weeding out of things I haven't used in a while and take them to Goodwill. This time when I started to take things out of my cart to put into their indoor bin, some guy came up to me and said he wanted to see what I had. He grabbed two jackets that were on the top and said they were dirty. They were NOT dirty -- they might have had ring-around-the-collar stains on them, but they were not "dirty." I thought Goodwill routinely dry-cleaned donated clothing items! Okay, so for some reason he considered these two very good, warm jackets "dirty." But THEN he just dismissed me totally, saying he didn't want **any** of it, without knowing about ANY of the other stuff I had crammed into this cart -- out of the goodness of my heart --to donate to this very ungrateful charity, who, by the way, I have also bought from many times in the past. Never again will I attempt to do either, and you can bet I am going to tell everyone I possibly can about this experience. This guy did not have any idea what other items (definitely not all clothing, and the other clothing was also clean) I had in the cart, yet he rudely said they didn't want any of it -- without taking the time to look at any of the rest of it. This is the last time these people will ever get anything from me as a donation, nor will I ever buy anything from them again -- even though I used to and used to think this was a good store. With the kind of people that are working in that particular store, and with those negative, dismissive attitudes (as in your junk is not good enough for us), they should be boycotted. I will from now on donate my used items to my local laundromat, in front of a thrift store, or to a certain AIDS Emergency Fund sidewalk sale held annually. I think Goodwill should, if they are going to be so PICKY about the kind of items they accept -- at least tell innocent donators where they CAN take the items, or take said items and give them to another agency THEMSELVES, one who is inclined to try to do something to help the homeless, etc. They should not be dismissively RUDE and just assume that ALL the items a person is trying to donate is automatically JUNK and will not SELL in their oh-so-high-class store, but should politely take the items a person has been so kind as to donate, thank the donator, look over the things later, and decide which they can or cannot use -- without just telling a person, in effect, that they don't want ANY of their donations -- especially when, in my case, this guy had no idea of the other items that were in my cart that I had gone to the trouble to take all the way down to their store, a walk of approximately a half mile. This store should be boycotted and put out of business. No one should donate to someone who is so ungrateful as to turn away free donations without even looking at them. They should take a cue from a certain small thrift store I know about. If the proprietors feel they cannot sell an item, they put a "free box" out in front of their shop and let people walking by help themselves. There are many low-income and homeless in our big cities. If someone goes to the trouble to take usable goods to a thrift store as large as Goodwill, who previously has been known for accepting donations, they should not be routinely dismissed without their items even being looked over. I do not understand this attitude. I certainly did not want to lug all this stuff back home again and throw it in the trash, when there were at least some items of warm, clean clothing in here, in good condition, that could have been used by SOME one.

These people have the wrong attitude -- a very negative attitude -- towards people who are kind enough to go to the trouble to bring in donations!! If the store cannot use the items, they should just pass them on to another organization who CAN possibly sort them out and use them, or just have a "free box" so that needy folks can pick out what they think they might be able to use.