ACER - Acer - computer trouble - Third Follow up on Consumer Problem with Acer America

Posted on Wednesday, June 19th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 722e0172

Company: ACER

Complaints.com received the following consumer message update on July 6, 2002:

RE: ACER

I got the promised battery from ACER this past Thursday. Thank you. Henry J. Murphy

Complaints.com received the following consumer message update on July 27, 2002:

RE: ACER - didn't receive complimentary battery, as promised

This is a follow up to the complaint I posted previously about my treatment by ACER Amercica. The representative from ACER said she was going to send me a complimentary battery for my notebook computer for all the trouble I had.

Well its now the end of August and that was May. NO BATTERY. I am no longer surprised by the personnel at ACER and their highhanded treatment of their customers.

Henry J. Murphy Murphy Collette Murphy Barristers & Solicitors Suite 300, 777 Main Street Moncton, New Brunswick Canada, E1C8N6 Tel 506-856-8565 Fax 506-856-8579 Email COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67140# And COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_30069#

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on June 17, 2002:

From: Henry J. Murphy [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_30069#]

RE: Acer - computer trouble - Third Follow up on Consumer Problem with Acer America

The following 2 letters were sent to Acer by fax (with attachments) with my concerns and complaints and although I eventually got my computer back it was without so much as an acknowledgement of these complaint letters from anyone at Acer. When my distributor contacted the Canadian general manager he was told it was not his problem and I should contact Acer America again.

Well I give up on that as I have been put on hold enough and have talked up a blue storm without any success in my dealings with them. As best I can determine these are the email addresses of your public relations directors, chairman and president. I am sending this to them as a courtesy by email prior to posting this complaint on the various consumer complaint web sites next week. Henry J. Murphy

To: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67141#

Acer America

2641 Orchard Parkway

San Jose, California 95134 Attention: Vice-President Marketing

Dear Sir/Madam: Re: Customer: Henry J. Murphy

Veriton 7200D-N1701C Date of Purchase: March 18, 2002 Serial Number: 310726.00420892010AK00 I am writing to you as a last resort concerning some very serious problems that I have had not only with the above mentioned computer, but also with your technical support, all of which started on Saturday, May 11, 2002. On May 11, 2002 I started getting Microsoft XP errors on the screen of my new computer. I called technical support and spoke with the technician at that time concerning this issue and asked him if there was any way that I could run the set up program from XP Personal in order to try to fix the errors. I was told at that time that all that could be done would be to run the Recovery CD. That was certainly something that I did not want to have to do to see if the problem could be fixed. Unfortunately, the only thing that came with my computer was the Recovery disk rather than the full program which I understood I had paid for when it was purchased. When I was unable to find any program on any of the CD’s that were shipped with the computer or in any subdirectories that may have unzipped files that were part of the operating system, I had no other alternative but to again call technical support at Acer on Sunday, May 12, 2002. After speaking with the technician from Acer it was decided that since every time I tried to run the “Restore” program that comes with Windows I was getting an error that prevented it from running, that (since I didn’t have a Microsoft XP CD) I would have to run the Recovery disk.

I did run the Recovery disk that came with my Veriton 7200 as instructed by the Acer technician and once we ran that the technician told me that it clearly wasn’t simply a software problem but it was a hardware problem. I am sure you can appreciate my frustration to be told this when I could have determined this without having to erase my entire hard disk which will result now in my having to reload all of the programs that were on it previously. Although I have been able to save the data on CD’s, I still have to reload all of these programs which will necessitate about five or six hours of work on my part. On Sunday the technician indicated that he would write up a ticket, which he did, being number 1-18FMHX and that as soon as I faxed in a copy of my invoice he would ship the parts to a technician in the Moncton, New Brunswick area so that the mother board and video card could be replaced. On May 13, 2002 the invoice was faxed to Acer at the fax number that he gave at 6:29 a.m. as I certainly did not want to be the reason for any delay in getting my computer up and running again. I was told that even though I had previously faxed in the invoice to get the $100 rebate, that that was a different department and therefore I still was not registered with Acer America for warranty purposes. When I did not hear anything from the local technician on the morning of May 14, 2002 I called Acer at noon hour and spoke to a technician by the name of Renee and explained the situation. She told me that her computer showed that only one part had been shipped by Acer out of the two parts that were required and that I should call back at 5 p.m. my local time if I did not hear from a technician in the Moncton area by that time. Of course by 5 p.m. if I had heard nothing, that would mean it would be impossible for my computer to be fixed that day.

Also, as part of that phone call I spoke to a team leader by the name of Ayona, who basically gave me the run around and did everything that she could to aleniate a long standing customer of Acer America. When I explained to her how frustrated I had become because of the fact that I did not have a real XP disk in order to try to fix the problem on the weekend and that I have been a customer of your company since 1994, her response was essentially that since I was a long standing customer of Acer I should know that all that you ship is the Recovery disk with your computers and therefore I should know better than to complain. On the evening of May 14, 2002 since I had not heard anything from a local technician and my computer was still sitting there totally useless, I called Acer America again. This time I spoke to Charles of your technical support staff and although he was very pleasant and tried to assist, all that I was able to learn from him was that someone in your technical support group had messed up and failed to order the second part that was required when the original ticket was drawn up.

Therefore, he indicated to me on the evening of May 14, 2002 that the two parts were being shipped out within twenty minutes of my conversation with him at approximately 6:30 p.m. on May 14, 2002. This means that not only did the technician I spoke to in the afternoon not ship out any parts and misinformed me when she told me that only one part had been shipped, but also that nothing really had been done on May 13, 2002 towards fixing my computer by Acer. On May 15, 2002 a technician by the name of Kevin Violet of GETronics in Dieppe, New Brunswick attended at my house and installed a new mother board. He was supposed to install the video card as well but he left it back at his company and did not see the box when he left there to install the mother board first thing in the morning on May 15, 2002. Since the Veriton 7200 is an intrical part of my office network and I use it to access my network from home to do work on legal briefs and legal research, when I returned home at 4 p.m. on May 15, 2002 with the intention of getting the computer up and running so that I could use it I found that it had the same problems that it had on the weekend. When I looked at the work order that had been left behind it was clear on its face that only a mother board had been installed and no video card installed. I immediately contacted Charles at Acer America to find out what happened since there was no number to contact the local technician on the work order.

Charles followed up while I was on hold and at 4:45 p.m. I was told that the technician had forgotten to bring the video card to install it on that day. Since I told him it was very important to me to get my computer working, I asked if he would follow up with the technician immediately by phone to see if he could come over and install it since the distance between Dieppe, New Brunswick and my home would only be 7 to 10 minutes at most and this was, after all, only a video card that had to be installed. I was told that the technician could not do this when my call was returned by Charles after he spoke with the technician at approximately 5 p.m. The next day, on May 16, 2002, we managed to track down the phone number for GETronics and my wife called them to find out when the technician would be coming over as obviously we expected it would be first thing in the morning in order for them to correct their mistake. She was told that he would not come over until after 2 p.m. that day. Because of the necessity of getting it up and running so that I would be able to do work from my home on the long weekend, I went home at 2 p.m. on Thursday, May 16, 2002 expecting the service technician to arrive shortly thereafter. When he did not come by 3 p.m. we called them and were told that he was on break but would be leaving shortly.

He arrived at approximately 3:30 p.m. and installed the video card and had to run the Recovery disk again. Keep in mind that this is probably at this point in time in the week about the sixteenth time that that Recovery disk had been run on the computer trying to fix this problem. After sitting there until sometime between 4:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. and several phone calls with Charles at Acer, the technician indicated that it could not be fixed. Although the technician had indicated that Charles told him that if it could not be fixed they would replace it, I was asked to speak to Charles and at that time I was told that what Acer would do would be to pick up my computer on Friday, May 17, 2002 and have it shipped to Mississauga, Ontario where it would be put on your bench and be looked at.

I would have my computer back by Wednesday, May 22, 2002 and hopefully it would be fixed at this point. That would mean that I would be without a computer for nearly two weeks, especially when you add on that once I get it back I would have to spend five or six hours loading the programs back on it in order for it to be of any use to me. Needless to say, I was not happy and expressed that to Charles on the phone who indicated he would have a team leader contact me. During the supper hour I was contacted by John Choats, who I presume is a team leader from what he told me. I was kept on the phone by John and asked to run the Recovery disk again, which I did over the course of the next one and a half hours with him on the line the entire time. At the end of an hour and a half the computer still didn’t work and I was told that the only thing that could be done was that he would arrange to have it picked up by Purolator Courier on Friday at my office. Needless to say, I am not very pleased with how I have been treated by Acer. As I expressed to John Choats in an email on May 17, 2002 it will be two weeks from the time that the problem arose until the time I get this computer back and have it up and running. I have bought a lot of computers and accessories from Acer, both personally as well as through my law firm, over the years.

Personally, and just over the last 2 years, I have bought an Acer 17” flat screen to go with the computer, which was purchased fully loaded when I bought it two months ago. Last year I bought a Veriton 7100, loaded, for use at my desk in my office and, as well, bought an Altos server for my network at the office. The year before that I bought an Acer 512 DX Notebook (1999) which was also loaded. I have encouraged my partners to buy Acer products and they have. The only thing that I have yet to buy from Acer is one of your S10 handheld computers. I have been a long standing good customer of Acer and I feel that I have not been treated very fairly recently and am looking to you as Vice-President of Marketing to do something to make up for the hours and hours that I have wasted with your local technician and phone technicians over the last week. I look forward to hearing from you. Yours very truly, Henry J. Murphy HJM/pdr Enclosure May 27, 2002 FAX 905-608-7591

Acer America Corporation Canada 3375 Laird Road, Unit 2 Mississauga, Ontario L5L 5R7

Attention: President and/or General Manager

Dear Sir/Madam: Re: Customer: Henry J. Murphy

Veriton 7200D-N1701C Date of Purchase: March 18, 2002 Serial Number: 310726.00420892010AK00 I am writing to you, as thus far I have received no assistance of any value from Acer concerning a problem that I have been having in connection with the Veriton 7200D-N1701C which I purchased from your company through EMJ Canada. Rather than reiterating the problem that I have been having, I am attaching a copy of the letter which I wrote last week to Acer America on May 17, 2002 and which has gone unanswered. I still do not have my computer back from repairs and what has gone on since I wrote on the 17th gives me great concern. To take up where I left off in my previous letter the computer was shipped out on May 17, 2002 by Purolator by arrangements that were made by John Choats, the team leader at Acer, whom I had spoken to on Thursday evening (16th). When I did not hear anything by Wednesday, May 22, 2002 I called Acer support and spoke to Penny at approximately 1:55 p.m. Moncton time who advised me that the computer had just been received in Mississauga, Ontario. This is the day it was supposed to have been back on my desk according to what I had been told by John Choats, the team leader. I emailed John Choats at that time and asked him what was going on, however, I received no reply from him to that email nor to one that I had sent earlier that day at 9:17 a.m. at which time I had requested that he confirm to me that the computer had been shipped the day before, as promised, so that it would arrive on Wednesday as had been represented. I received an automated email from Acer at 4:02 p.m. advising that the computer had been received at your repair facility on May 22, 2002. Needless to say, this was quite disconcerting, however, what was I to do. I again called Acer support when the computer was still not at my office on May 24, 2002 and I spoke again to Penny. This would be at 12:49 p.m. I was told by Penny that according to the activity report for the repair of my computer on her computer screen, my computer had not even been started yet. She told me that her computer indicated that it was put on a status of critical according to her notes on computer. The problem according to her was that she could not get ahold of them in Canada by phone (I was on hold for five to ten minutes) and there are only two technicians in the Canadian depot. Although Penny was very sympathetic and understood the problem, I advised her that John Choats had not returned my call where she had indicated the other day that she would have him call me and I asked once again that she contact her team leader, John Choats, to see what would be done. After all, it was a Friday afternoon at the end of the second full week of not having my computer working at this point in time. John Choats called my home at 5:30 p.m. on Friday night. I was not in and my sixteen year old daughter told him that I would be back in a half hour and he indicated that he did not have time to call back then but would call back at 8 o’clock in the evening of Friday, May 24, 2002. When I did not hear from him, I called Acer at 9:15 p.m. and spoke with John Choats myself. Now I realize that it was a long weekend in the U.S. and maybe he didn’t want to be working that night, however, I found that his attitude was very much less than professional. He made no apologies whatsoever for what had developed and simply said that it was on the bench in Canada and that they had gone home for the weekend. According to him it probably would not be repaired until Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. When I inquired of him about his initial offer which he had made to me when I first spoke with him on the evening of May 23, 2002, i.e. an offer of giving me additional memory and a CD Writer, but noting that I already had a CD Writer in my computer and also had purchased 512 k of memory, he said that he planned on shipping me a 128 mg chip and extending the warranty for two weeks while it was in the shop being repaired in Ontario. When I spoke to him the week that the computer was shipped, he was going to increase the warranty by one month and now it was even dropped down to two weeks. I told him that it would be of little value to me to have a 128 mg chip as I had 512 in it already. As you are probably aware, a 128 mg chip won’t even fit in that computer alongside two 256 chips. He commented that he was not about to increase the memory to 1 gigabyte even though I had not even asked for such a thing and do not care to have 1 gigabyte of memory in the computer. If I had wanted to have 1 gigabyte of memory in the computer, I would have paid for it when I bought it. It is extremely apparent that your technical support people make promises which they later go back on, not only to your client, but also to their own service technicians. The technician who had come to my house initially on two occasions on May 15 and 16, 2002 indicated that he had spoken to Charles of your technical support staff who indicated that if it could not be fixed by the technician at my house, that they would ship a completely new unit. On the second day when it couldn’t be fixed, they backed off of that and that is how we got into this situation where we sent my computer to Mississauga, Ontario so it could sit around there for a week or so. Quite frankly, I am very fed up with this situation and the general deception of your Acer support technicians which seems to heighten when taken to the supervisory level. Yours very truly, Henry J. Murphy HJM/pdr Enclosures faxcc: Acer America Attn: Vice-President Marketing 408-922-2933

Henry J. Murphy Murphy Collette Murphy Suite 300, 777 Main Street Moncton, New Brunswick Canada, E1C8N6 Tel 506-856-8565 Fax 506-856-8579 Email COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67140# And COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_30069#

-----Original Message-----

From: Henry J. Murphy [mailto:COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_30069#]

Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 9:07 PM

To: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67142#

Subject: FW: Third Follow up on Consumer Problem with Acer America

Right after I sent my last email I had another mini crash, a daily event I forgot about as they are small by comparison. Here is a screen shot of the error that showed up on reboot. I get this once a day on average.

-----Original Message-----

From: Henry J. Murphy [mailto:COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_30069#]

Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 8:48 PM

To: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67141#; COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67142#; COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67143#; COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67144#; COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67145#; COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67146#; COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67147#

Subject: Follow up on Consumer Problem with Acer America

Attached are the notes of my follow up with your company 6/10/2002 3:58 PM Note Spoke to Ayana Batchand (254-298-4427) of Acer who said she was told to call me by Stan Shih. She wanted to know what I wanted. I said an Acer S10 would be acceptable but she said it is from a sister company and not them and because of that she could not give me one. I asked what she had in mind and she was vague and therefore so was I. She said Acer America's products were to be found at www.acersupport.com. She said to look and get back to her with what I wanted. She also asked how the Veriton 7200D was working and I told her it seemed to be working alright now although after I got it back from Acer I had to run the recovery disks again the next day as it did the same thing again. “It is working ok now, knock wood”. 6/10/2002 4:57 PM Note Called Acer back and spoke to Ayana and said that given all the time I have lost and the treatment how about a discontinued notebook to replace my 510. She said she would not ship a new product and when I managed to get her to stop talking in code that turns out that “new product” means "nothing". In the end she is extending the warranty for 6 months on my computer so it will be warranted for long after I get rid of it and she may be sending me a new battery for my notebook, depending if they have any. Nothing changed. Same old same old. The higher you go the more promises that are made which go unfilled. Henry J. Murphy Murphy Collette Murphy

Barristers & Solicitors