Dodge - 1999 Dodge Durango - engine failure at three years old and 48,000 miles - out of warranty

Posted on Saturday, June 15th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 54ec4829

Product: 1999 Dodge Durango

Company: Dodge

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

I own a 1999 Dodge Durango with 48,000 miles on it. The vehicle is out of warranty. On May 24, 2002, the engine died while I was driving it. Apparently, the engine is damaged & needs replaced. Chrysler claims that this occurred due to my "neglect" in changing the oil. I have always changed my oil & have never encountered a similar failure with any other vehicle that I have ever owned.

They claim that the failure occurred due to sludge in the engine. I was able to document several oil changes, but Chrysler maintains their position. I am simply unhappy because the engine should not ever fail in a three year old vehicle w/ only 48,000 miles on it.

After extensive research, I have found that several Durango owners have reported similar failures & Dodge refuses to acknowledge that there may be an oil flow problem with these motors. (5.2L, 318 Magnum) As a result, I am forced to purchase a new engine for my vehicle at great expense.