AOL - CompuServe - charged $ 250.00 by AOL for cancellation of CompuServe account

Posted on Tuesday, July 9th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 733ff4c9

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0943 To Whom It May Concern: I have called Discover and disputed a $250 charge that AOL put on my Discover Card for cancelling a CompuServe account. 34 months ago I bought a computer with a $400 rebate if I signed on to CompuServe for 36 months. I signed on, and for 33 1/2 months CompuServe was an ok ISP, not great, but okay. Even though I got kicked off frequently and there are cheaper ISP's out there, I stayed with it. About one month ago, I started getting busy signals with every access number I tried.

After several days of not being able to access the internet, I called CS. I was given several ways to try and see if the problem was with my computer. I tried them all, to no avail. I e-mailed CompuServe again telling them that I had tried all of the ways and none worked and that the problem was with CS' access numbers. I was again told to try to fix my computer. I then called and spoke with a service technician who told me he was sorry, but I would just have to keep trying the access numbers as there was nothing they could do. In one last attemp at honoring my contract, I tried to sign on to AOL and switch over to them, as CompuServe had give its members that option with the agreement to keep the contract. Guess what? None of AOL's access numbers worked either, they were the same ones as CompuServe. On June 18, I called both AOL and CompuServe to cancel their services. The lady at CompuServe was extemely rude. She told me that even though I couldn't use the service, I still had to keep CompuServe to the end of my contract. I told her that the contract was no longer any good because CompuServe wasn't providing access to its members.

She tried to get me to talk to a Service Rep--ha ha. I told her I had already tried that. I told her I didn't want to see any more bills on my credit card. She said okay, but you will be billed by AOL for $250 for terminating the contract early. She said billed, not charged on my credit card. She gave me a confirmation number of 0399779282 confirming that I did not want any more charges on my credit card. I have enclosed copies of all my attempts at corresponding with CompuServe as well as all letters I have written regarding this matter. I do not intend to drop this matter, because these two companies have put myself and many others through all sorts of grief. I feel that they need to be made to pay for all of the contracts that they themselves have breached. Although I do not intend to drop this fight, I would appreciate, you Discover sticking up for a long time, well-paying customer and not allowing AOL to fraudulently charge my credit card for a contract they breached. Sincerely Susan cc: CompuServe AOL