Posted on Monday, July 8th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 129c3e91

Company: 1996 GE Profile washer and Dryer - 4 visits for repair - GE microwave lasted two years - upset with GE quality

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 6, 2002:

From:

RE: 1996 GE Profile washer and Dryer - 4 visits for repair - GE microwave lasted two years - upset with GE quality

Wondering why GE Appliances are not the product they use to be in the past. I purchased the GE Profile washer and Dryer in 1996. As of today I have had 4 visits for repairing both washer & dryer. Why is this?

Will I buy GE again? I dont think so. There was my GE microwave that we spent a lot of money on.Lasted 2 years plus was corroded inside & rusty.

Bought a Panasonic for half the price and ver sastisfied. Let people know GE is not interested in their products being something to brag about.

a694561f, 2007-11-22, 06:24PM CST

I was almost ready to replace my over-the-range spacemaker microwave that had been labelled as toast by GE technicians and MaBe (who took over Camco). It looked like a lot of work and moolah to me so I - what did I have to loose - took the thing apart and checked the motherboard. My trusted magnifying glass revealed a suspicious connection on the printed circuit that looked like a bad joint. I cleaned the connection, dropped some solder on it put the thing back together, plugged it in and voila, quickest 600 bucks I ever made. Irony: I have no electrical background whatsoever. In hindsight I could have saved myself another 100 bucks for that useless service call. A dilettante who only had fuses with him and did not give me the time of the day. Bah! Lesson learned: It appears that an authorized service guy will want you to purchase a new unit, try somebody independent!

Wonder how many other persons had the same problem and discarded their microwave

Paul W M