Posted on Thursday, August 1st, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 27727d95

Company: LA Fitness - unknowingly paying for membership since 1993 - never visited any facility

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 30, 2002:

From: studioexpresso [[email protected]]

RE: LA Fitness - unknowingly paying for membership since 1993 - never visited any facility

LA Fitness has been charging me since 93 - $20/month for $2,000 on my bank account. One problem. I have not been to any of their facilities since then!! No statements, bills or communication until I caught the charge on my credit card early April of this year (thought it was some kind of bank charge)! When I complained the manager informed me that I should have submitted a written cancellation.

No one told me this when the eager salesman sighed me up 3 years ago!! I pointed out to the manger, Estephan that in order to help other victims of this billing fraud, it would be helpful for LA Fitness to keep track of who's walking in to their centers (a nice security measure as well, in this day and age) and to send their customers some kind of statement or bill to let them know of the membership charges.

All I got from the customer service mgr, Estephan was 3 month pass to the gym! Too little too late!! Thanks for posting this on your web site. I noticed there's another similar complaint. Funny how patterns forms.

Sincerely,