Posted on Wednesday, July 31st, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by fe98378f

Company: 1998 ford windstar minivan - driver's seatbelt fell apart - not covered under extended warranty

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 29, 2002:

From: [email protected]

RE: 1998 ford windstar minivan - driver's seatbelt fell apart - not covered under extended warranty

In 3/00 I purchased a 1998 Ford Windstar from Fairlane Ford in Dearborn, MI, I also purchased the extended warranty which covered virtually everything up to 100,000 miles. Well before the 100,000 mile mark, the driver's seatbelt fell apart in half in a matter of 1 week.

I took my van to the dealership. I was informed that my seatbelt was not covered under the extended warranty, what happened to my seatbelt was considered "normal wear and tear", reluctantly I paid for the replacement of my seatbelt ($316.00) and it took the dealership 3 days to complete the repair.

I followed up with a letter of complaint to the manager of the dealership, not only because I had to pay for the replacement of a seatbelt but also the treatment I received from members of the service department. I sent a copy of that letter to Ford World Headquarter in Dearborn, MI.

I received a phone call from the "customer service department" at world headquarters, they told me that the dealer told them I ""cut my seatbelt", and further more seatbelts are only covered to 50,000 miles. I drive 2 of my children, my neice, and usually a friend of my teenage daughters to and from school 3 days a week, just why would I cut my seatbelt? I didn't have an extra $316.00 I didn't know what to do with, nor could I spare my van for 3 days.

In my letter to Ford Motor Company I also told them that the passenger side seatbelt for my middle seat is also tearing. Today I got another call from customer service to tell me they have reviewed my claim, and again told me it was "wear and tear", only this time they accused my seatbelt destruction on my dogs.

No I don't let my dogs use my van. Ford Motor Company really doesn't need any bad press right now, I may only be one customer but I will certainly do my part to be bad press.