Posted on Monday, July 29th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 2e9184ab

Company: 2000 Ford Focus - SE sedan 16 valve Zetec engine - brake problem, sliding seat, replaced clutch, other problems

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 27, 2002:

From:

RE: 2000 Ford Focus - SE sedan 16 valve Zetec engine - brake problem, sliding seat, replaced clutch, other problems

It was marketed as the "Car of the Year". The interior was the best on the market in 2000. Unfortunately, they spent all the money on the interior and have cheaped out on the essential parts. I own a 2000 SE Sedan (Standard) 16 valve Zetec upgrade motor. I have read through many on-line forums and I too have experienced the same problems as others. I have a folder of repair bills to prove it! € Brakes

€ Unknown ccelleration

€ Sliding seat

€ replaced clutch (3 weeks from purchase, which took a 1 month to get parts. €mutilple recalls; and just this week the throttle cable boke while in high speed traffic and the gas peddle went to the floor). I am 1,500 km out of warrenty and because my husband (a licenced-mechanic) installed the cable and towed it home (we own a dolly), FORD will not reimburse me for the $55.38 (Ford part).

I have been informed (by the local ford dealership & FORD) the car should have been towed to a FORD dealership and let them do the work. This occured approximately around 3:00pm on a Saturday afternoon. This latest breakdown...could have resulted in a very bad accident. I lost all ability to accelerate my car in traffic. I have never owned a car in my life (40 years) where this has occurred. I have alway bought FORD cars and trucks. But not anymore... I am so disappointed in FORD. Do not let them fool you with their marketing! Please let others know of my experiences. The last breakdown could have been my life or others! With all my similar experiences as other Focus owners, I am sure others will encounter this too!

Laura Benben