Posted on Sunday, July 28th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 682dd391

Company: 2001 Dodge Status RT Coupe - Rusting calipers and rotors after a few months - told this is normal

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 26, 2002:

From:

RE: 2001 Dodge Status RT Coupe - Rusting calipers and rotors after a few months - told this is normal

I just bought a 2001 Dodge Stratus RT Coupe in February 2002. I noticed the calipers and rotors were rusting after a couple of months. I called and they told me that it was normal, but to bring it in and they would look at it.

I knew they would take care of me once they saw how bad it was. I brought it in to Bald Hill Dodge in Warwick Rhode Island (where I purchased the automobile) when it was recalled for 2 different problems. I asked them to fix the rust also (by this time the rotors and calipers were TOTALLY rusted).

They called to tell me the car was ready and that the rust was actually break dust and that they cleaned it off. I went to pick it up and it looked the same. I asked the service associate to look at it and he admitted that the rust was extensive and looked very bad (it has expensive spoke rims, so it is that much more noticeable). He called his service manager.

He tried to tell me that it was normal. He admitted that the rust looked bad, but he said it would take over $1000 to fix and that they would rust again in 3000 miles. I told him he should replace them due to standing behind the product alone, but he disagreed. I called Chrysler and they are standing behind the opinion of the dealers that totally rusted rotors and calipers are "normal".

I have owed numerous cars with spoke rims that never even began to rust after many years.... I just never have owned a Chrysler product before this. My neighbor just purchased the same car just a newer model and the breaking system is not made of cast iron anymore. Obviously they have had quality issues that have been fixed on the newer models. They should take care of me also...one would think... I do not know what is worse...Bald Hill Dodge not taking care of a customer who has a valid complaint or the Chrysler cooperation not putting quality parts on their cars and not taking care of a new Dodge customer. KC I have sent this note to several organizations and will be happy to submit pictures of my cars wheels. Please e-mail back if you wish to receive. COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_32040# I just want to have nice looking safe breaks...who can help me?