AOL - AOL - account cancelled due to non-payment, but account fees continued to be charged

Posted on Saturday, July 27th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 51cef5bc

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

My AOL was cancelled because of a returned check, back in March. This I can understand, as it could happen to anyone. I found this out because I got the notice from my bank and was charged a $25 fee. I went to go online and my password was no longer accepted. I figured 'ok, I'll pay it when I can and get it back on'.

Due to extenuating circumstances I didn't have the means to turn it on right away. We had 2 deaths in the family in a 3 month period and AOL wasn't our top priority. By missing work, our financial picture got worse. When things straightened out a little and I had time to go over my bank statements for the past 5 months, I found that AOL took their monthly payment from the account, even though I had no service.

I got on the phone, got a human, eventually, and asked the reason they kept deducting their payment when I had no AOL service........the bonehead on the other end said, "there was a number for you to call when we didn't accept your password, and you didn't call it.

We were within our rights to collect the fees." I was very upset, and asked to speak with a supervisor. He refused to let me, then I mentioned a lawyer, and as soon as he heard the word 'lawyer', he said, "Ma'm, this conversation is ended!" Then he hung up on me.

I can't believe they took money from my account for 5 months, and would have kept doing it if I hadn't caught it.

Lisa