TigerDirect.com - Vivastar DVD-R from TigerDirect.com - DVD-R failed within a short time of delivery - out $ 400

Posted on Friday, July 26th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by d4333594

Product: Vivastar DVD-R

Company: TigerDirect.com

Category: Appliances, Equipment, Tools

First, let me state that I have purchased frequently from TigerDirect in the past with no problems. Merchandise always arrived in good condition and in a timely manner. Then in May, 2002 I purchased a DVD-R which failed within a short time of its arrival. I called the customer support number on the packing list (Vivastar, the manufacturer) and was given a run-around for the next 2 weeks.

They first told me my computer didn't meet their standards. That was the first thing I verified before I even ordered the equipment. Then they said I needed to update various drivers on my computer, although they at no time asked me what versions I had installed and I had in fact the most recent versions of all of them. Then they told me that their software had installed the newest Adaptec "aspi layer" and I should probably use the

older one... and then they stopped responding to me.

I called Tiger for help. They refused to give me an RMA and said I had to deal with Vivastar. Vivastar refused to talk to me, return my calls or answer my emails at that point. (The Vivastar technician's name is Art Lomker in the US office) After nearly a month of this, I called my credit card company. Per their instructions, I returned the package to TigerDirect without an authorization, via US mail with a return receipt requested. TigerDirect received and signed for the package.

Now, 2 weeks later, TigerDirect sent the package back to me with "Ha ha ha!!" written across my letter of explanation, along with a smiley face with its tongue sticking out. I'm stuck with over $400 on my credit card at this point, for a piece of equipment that is faulty and no one will replace. Although I used to recommend TigerDirect because of their great prices and prompt shipping, I no longer do that.

They are only "great" as long as there are no problems. We all know this world is not perfect and things go wrong sometimes. If TigerDirect can't or won't deal with these mishaps, then I can hardly recommend them as being a "great" company to deal with. Edna Kelly

Punta Gorda, FL