AOL - AOL - concern about breach of account security - passwords were scrambled by AOL - no explanation given by AOL

Posted on Wednesday, July 24th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 3ac33bbd

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

On 7 / 2002, I went to sign on to AOL only to find that AOL had scrambled my passwords due to what "they" deemed as a "breach of my account security". After NUMEROUS calls....and waiting periods, they refuse to inform me of just what the so called "breach" was.

It is my opinion, that this "breach" IS my business as to why they took it upon themselves to access my account and to not allow me to sign on without "proper identification / verification". I have since spoken with several departments in this matter and they have all informed me that they do not have to inform me as to what exactly has occurred.

When I told them that this informational "leak" may have an effect on either some type of billing to my account, of even to my personal data, they still refused to give an answer.

In short, let the buyer beware! AOL is watching you and your activities and what you may deem as secure and normal activities...they may not. In this day and time when we are all concerned about who"big brother" really is, it sure is a disappointment to see that one of the nation's largest internet service providers may just be one of them too.

And for the record, the closest hint of an answer that could be provided by AOL was to say that I may have had a Trojan Horse Virus. All virus scans (which are current) have turned up nothing. Luckily, I am fortunate enough to be able to send you this warning through another service provider because quite frankly........I am not too sure about the security and especially the privacy of America Online any longer.

Thank you for your time and interest in this matter and I trust that it may help in someone's decision making process when they choose the service that will "put them in touch with the world".

Good Luck and Good Fortune,

A Concerned Consumer

ps: For the record, I have been a member of AOL for many years now and this is NOT the first "adventure" that has been my pleasure to endure!