Posted on Wednesday, July 24th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by a8ba488e

Company: 1996 Tacoma pickup - Toyota wouldn't honor warranty to cover repair of 2 oil leaks

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 22, 2002:

From: Chris Ness [[email protected]]

RE: 1996 Tacoma pickup - Toyota wouldn't honor warranty to cover repair of 2 oil leaks

Toyota would not honor their warranty two years ago to cover the repair to stop 2 oil leaks on my 96 Tacoma pickup. The Toyota Customer Service Center in California agreed to pay the $324 to cover the repairs and two weeks later renegged and said they would not.

They gave some very weak excuses. One leak was an obvious factory error and the other I believe was too, but not as clear cut. I took the case to their arbitrator, at their suggestion, and after 4 months they told me that they could not handle the case as my repairs were done by a non-Toyota facility. I believe they knew this and set me up as a delay tactic.

Beware if you are not the original owner of your Toyota pickup, especially if it had been involved in an accident previously--even a minor one. My experience is that Toyota will use every weak excuse in the book to avoid paying for warranty work. Previously I thought Toyota was a company with integrity. Not anymore!

Chris Ness,