Ford Focus ZX3 2001 with 22,3000 miles - vehicle caught fire I just had my 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 with 22,300 miles catch fire thursday! I got it used in December with 14,000 miles on it. - Ford Focus ZX3 2001 with 22,3000 miles - vehicle caught fire

Posted on Wednesday, July 24th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 44dd5352

Company: Ford Focus ZX3 2001 with 22,3000 miles - vehicle caught fire I just had my 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 with 22,300 miles catch fire thursday! I got it used in December with 14,000 miles on it.

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 22, 2002:

From: John Novak [[email protected]]

RE: Ford Focus ZX3 2001 with 22,3000 miles - vehicle caught fire I just had my 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 with 22,300 miles catch fire thursday! I got it used in December with 14,000 miles on it. I was driving home from work, about 10-15 minute driving non stop on the interstate, and had just pulled off and was almost home. about two blocks from my apts the electrical system started to die, followed by the transmission lurching, followed by the engine trying to die.

I saw white clouds coming from under the hood and coming in the vents. I rolled downhill the remaining two blocks to my parking lot and popped the hood cursing that my car had overheated on a 10 minute trip, even if it was 97 out and i had the AC on full blast. but instead of steam I get a a bunch of flames!!! scorched thumb too. got fire extinguisher from apt office and put it out and called it in. i think something electrical burned out/overheated (because the power seemed to die first before the engine sputtered), or the mass airflow sensor blew. The fire seemed centered between the air intake box, the battery, and engine. took out my air intake from the intake to the filter box to the airflow sensor to the engine intake, melted my battery, melted some wires in and around the electronic ignition, scroched and cracked the paint on my hood, singed the headlight, burnt the hood liner, smoke got sucked through the air system into the car, probably in the upholstery too, and since it was the air intake, who knows what got sucked into the engine. called into ford after my dealer I got it from wouldn't tow because "warranty repairs need to be called into ford for tows" and so I had it towed to another, closer dealer. called up ford and they took my description and forwarded it to their legal/customer care dept. Got updated that it might take a week to look at. I'm hoping they pay at least full price for it. Since if was trying to tell Ford that it lurched and hit a car and i wanted them to pay, yeah sure they could say "well we don't really know this isn't you trying to pass off a mistake on us"...but a fire? no way could that happen!

So far the Ford dealer wants to declare the vehicle a total loss and pass it off to my insurance company (they're gonna look at it soon), which could leave me with depreciation, inconvienence, having to take time to car shop, Ford saying it's okay for people to get burned opening their hood.. I'm lucky i didn't lean in while I was opening it!!! Also there is an investigation on this. Check out the NHTSA website for action # PE 02-032. I'm in Omaha, NE. i have pictures at www.geocities.com/archangel_jjn. John