Posted on Tuesday, July 23rd, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 6e6b913a

Company: 1999 KIA SPORTAGE 2WD 4DR - window off track - performance problems - multiple problems

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 21, 2002:

From:

RE: 1999 KIA SPORTAGE 2WD 4DR - window off track - performance problems - multiple problems

1999 KIA SPORTAGE 2WD 4DR

I bought my Sportage on New Years Eve 1999. I had planned to buy another car and wanted to use a Kia quote to get the dealer down another $1000, but my wife ended up liking the car and the Kia guys went down $7500. Now I know why.

About a month later, the driver's side window came off track. We took it to the dealer and had it fixed before I had a chance to finish explaining the problem. So far so good.

As soon as the warm weather hit, a peculiar problem appeared. The Kia lost what little pick-up it had to begin with. The car seemed to be perpetually in 4th gear and started from a dead stop accordingly. So after an hour or so of 0-60 in 12 minutes, I took it to the dealer.

They kept the car and looked at it for several hours, finally returning it, saying they couldn't find anything specific, but cleaned up alot of dust that had collected in the system. I drove away and the car was fine. A few weeks later, it happened again.

I took it in again and the dealer said there was nothing wrong with it. I suggested that the problem might be electrical, the computer, or transmission. I explained that I stopped running the air conditioner after the first problem ( I have never run it since). They claimed they looked at each of those systems, and they were sound. I drove away, and the car was fine.

A few weeks later, while driving down the highway, the car downshifted suddenly, then stalled. After pulling over, I started the car, and everything was fine. I took it to the dealer who again found nothing but cleaned some stuff, and claimed that the engine light was on (the engine light accompanies each occurrence) because the gas cap was not tight. The car was fine and cooler weather was upon us, so the problem went away.

The following spring it all happened again, and again every warm month since. The problem has been marked mainly by the incredibly slow starting (as in a high gear), but also includes sudden downshifting, sudden accelleration, stalling, failure to shift into the higher gear, and total loss of power as if the battery were dead.

I took the car to a dealer seven times while it was in warranty. Each time I told them to keep it until they found something. Each time they told me there was nothing wrong. Each time I offered countless possibilities, and asked specifically for new parts in an attempt to fix the problem. They ignored me, and insisted there was nothing wrong with the car.

This year as the warm weather approached, I dreaded the moment when my Kia Added Feature would re-occur, as it it now out of warranty. So, it happened. I called Kia, and they explained that they would do NOTHING for me. I explained to them the history, and had them look up the paper trail. They told me good luck.

THIS TIME, when it happened it was accompanied by loud exhaust sounds, as if the muffler were going out, or a hole had developed in my tailpipe. Additionally, the driver's side window stopped working. I took it to the dealer and in a shocking twist of fate, they found the problem--an electrical connection is worn and full of condensation. Additionally, they state that I need a new intake manifold and warm-up cat--and my window regulator is bad. This will cost me $1200 plus labor. I am 700 miles out of warranty.

This is really three complaints--one is directed at myself for being an idiot and buying the thing in the first place.

The second one is that the company and associated dealers seem to have a system they work by. They ignore problems when the solution would be free, then "discover" them when the warranty is gone. They charge ridiculous, bordering on unreal, prices for parts, and ignore any and all complaints. They do shoddy work, and do not stand behind it. And they do not seem particularly interested in your business.

Finally, there is almost no possibility of solving the problem without the dealer. There are no parts, no manuals, and few mechanics who know anything about Kias. Beyond this, very few of the Kia parts are standard, so trying to bolt on something is most oftem impossible, as nothing fits except Kia parts. And Kia does everythig short of hanging up on you when you attempt to get some help--and they refuse to accept complaints.

Kia builds cars like I make chili. They throw a bunch of ingredients together and hope. When a problem arises, they add a little this or that to fix it. They have no recipe, and never make the same car twice. Instead of replacing a faulty system or part, they add new, bizarre parts to solve the problem. Instead of engineering a better car, they create Frankenstein's Monster.

The 100000 mile warranty is a grand scheme, like the previous shorter warranties w/ restrictions on who can work on the car. They keep you locked into the dealer for an extended period of time, thus noone outside the dealer sees the car, and noone discovers what a piece of crap it is. By the time you take it to someone else, the damage is done, and you own the hunk of crap--and thousands of others have bought one just like you, without knowing how big a piece of crap it is. "No mauals, No parts, no mechanics" tells me that Kia is actively trying to keep the world from seeing the guts of their vehicles.

Thus they can continue to sell them and not deal with the problems until thos massive warranties start running out. By then they will have made (and hidden) their money and moved on to other things. In the next five years Kia will go bankrupt and dissappear or start over with new ownership.

f815d56f, 2008-03-07, 07:39AM CST

Would like to know what electrical connection was needing to be replaced and what had condensation on it..I am experiencing similar problems..and am very frustrated along with my mechanic!!! You help is appreciated!!!

f815d56f, 2008-03-07, 07:41AM CST