AOL - AOL - charged for 15 months of service never received - did not cancel account when directed to do so

Posted on Monday, July 22nd, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 8379d0f4

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

AOL/ America Online is a wonderful service as long as you don't have to deal with them because they made a mistake.

America Online charged me for 15 months of service that I never had. They were charging me for two accounts when I only had one. It was CompuServe/AOL mistake. They didn't cancel the account when directed by me to do so.

When I finally figured out what was going on I contacted AOL and they told me that they had record of me calling to cancel my account but that for some reason the account had not been canceled. I was informed by the representative at AOL that I would be credited the amount owed and the representative transferred me to another customer service representative that told me what I needed to do to have the amount credited back to my account.

As I was gathering the information I was told I would need I discovered that I was unclear on some of the instructions that I was given. I called back and the information was cleared up and I was for the 3rd time told that I would be credited the over charged amount to my bank account.

One week later I had not heard anything back about the refund and it had not yet been credited to my account so I called back to find out that AOL not only doesn't respond back to customers, the customer must spend forever on hold to call them back, but they will only refund 2 months to any account maximum.

Even though it was admittedly AOL' s mistake. I was then told I would never be able to speak to a supervisor, because there wasn't one. I was told that nothing would be done to rectify the situation at all. I was told to once again fax information to the billing department and once again I would have to call back in 3 days for a response.

I offered the suggestion that since they billed me for an account that I didn't want, didn't use and had requested be canceled that they apply that to the 3 year contract that I have with them under a different screen name. This would fulfill my contract that I had to sign up with to receive the discount when purchasing my new computer. Of course no one even responded to that solution.

I have never dealt with a company who is so unable or unwilling to reach out to satisfy their customers. I work for a much smaller company but if I was so unwilling to satisfy my customers I wouldn't have a job or customers.

Paige