Posted on Wednesday, July 17th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by f192d1c5

Company: RCN dial-up service - cancelled service withn a week of signup - received $ 19.99 bill 5 months later

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 15, 2002:

From:

RE: RCN dial-up service - cancelled service withn a week of signup - received $ 19.99 bill 5 months later

RCN dial-up service. After cancelling RCN within a week of signing up - in January 2002. RCN charged my credit card $19.99 in June, 2002 when they had provided NO service in over 5 months.

I first contacted RCN June 12 to rectify the unauthorized charge. The RCN representative acknowledged the error and submitted a request for credit saying the credit could take 30-60 days! When I pressed her for a more accurate timeframe for how long RCN takes to complete its part - she said two weeks.

Today, a month later, I called RCN again. The customer representative noted the credit had been noted on the billing system but was 'just sitting' there and that she had got someone in billing to agree to 'put it to the top of the pile'.

When I refused to accept her '2 weeks' estimate for RCN to release the credit to my credit card company - I got a supervisor who was not at all credible and gave me three different answers for when RCN would commit to getting this out to the credit card (again using the 'we moved it to the top of the pile') brush off.

My consumer complaint: RCN is an extremely unprofessional company with questionable billing practices, poorly trained staff, and clearly insufficient customer support and billing systems in place to support the growing number of customers they sign up every day.

This complaint is one example. I cancelled their cable/phone service several months ago after the appalling customer service and routine billing errors (in their favor!). Another friend just got a bill in the mail last week for over $1,000 for RCN cable service; apparently the result of a double data entry error!