Posted on Sunday, July 14th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 2b8cec42

Company: 1999 Dodge Intrepid from Bob Dance dealership, Longwood, FL - coolant leaked into oil via head gasket - many repairs required

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 12, 2002:

From:

RE: 1999 Dodge Intrepid from Bob Dance dealership, Longwood, FL - coolant leaked into oil via head gasket - many repairs required

I bought my Intrepid new from Bob Dance dealership in Longwood Florida. When I purchased the car they told me that the car had a 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty but the powertrain was 5 year 70,000 miles. My father in law is retired from Ford so we were trying to decide between the intrepid and the taurus. We chose the intrepid because of the warranty. Since that time under warranty each of the door motors have had to been replaced twice and the front ones 3 times. The seat belt mounts have been replaced under recall, the windshield wiper motors have been replaced as well as various other minor things like the air conditioner leaking. I have continually maintained the vehicle under the manufactors recommendations.

The oil has been changed every 3-4000 miles and it has been tuned up twice. I now have 54,000 miles on the car and have had the transmission control module replaced, which by the way, if I had spent the extra 2200$ on the SE model I would not have had to pay although the part was identical. I have also had other sensors replaced which each time was about 250$. I thought that was normal maintanence. No big deal. Now I was driving home less than a mile and the check engine light came on. I pulled over and did exactly what the manual said. It told me I could drive but get the car serviced as soon as possible. The next morning I drove it to a local Firestone for service which was also less than a mile from the house. They told me they replaced a couple of sensors to identify the problem and then did the regularly scheduled oil change. When they let the car down and started the engine it was knocking very badly.

They told me that the oil came out very milky. It was now a major repair so they contacted the local Chrysler dealership who said to get it right over to them and if they were the customer they would be on the phone with customer service right away. He was the parts manager and said that Chrysler has been dropping new engines in the intrepids that have this problem to keep it quite. When they finally did all the repairs it came to almost $3500 and I had to pay for a rental car for 2 weeks. Chrysler refuses to pay for any of it because they say it is out of warranty and not their problem. The 99 was the first year of the new type of engine that is supposed to be sealed. The coolant obviously leaked into the oil through the head gasket because due to the new design there is no other way it could have happened.

The mechanic at Chrysler wrote on the receipt that there was no sign of abuse and he told me there was no way I could have known except if I had the oil changed very close to the time the break in the head gasket occurred. The service manual says that the head gasket is not even something that I should look at for service until 100k miles has passed. Dodge uses in its new slogan that love is a committment. I have to say I am not feeling the love. Craig Hulet