Posted on Friday, July 12th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 5982fd03

Company: Liberty Mutual Insurance - auto insurance policy cancelled due to non-payment -didn't know policy was cancelled until received refund check

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 10, 2002:

From:

RE: Liberty Mutual Insurance - auto insurance policy cancelled due to non-payment -didn't know policy was cancelled until received refund check

Unfortunately, Liberty Mutual has cancelled my auto insurance company due to late payment. Since the fall of last year (2001), money has been tight, then in April, my husband was laid off from his job, which made things worse. I have been struggling to keep up with bill paying, and I was seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.

I remember seeing a cancellation notice in the mail, and I thought I had made the payment in time, on June 18, Liberty Mutual posted my cancellation, and on the 28, payment was received. At this time, Liberty Mutual will not reinstate my policy, but they will charge me another $1100 per year (this does not

include the third vehicle on the policy) and want payment in full to re-write a policy. I have been a loyal customer of Liberty Mutual for 7 years! Only recently have I had problems paying my insurance and bills on time. I am dismayed that nothing can be done regarding this matter.

I have always spoken highly of your company and even directed people to you, now due to an error on my part, and Liberty Mutual not taking measures to make sure I received notice (certified mail, as other companies do), I no longer exist in your system. I would be able to understand your lack of concern and ability to help if I was a policy holder who for the last 7 years always paid late. Should it not be a practice that when you cancel an insurance policy you notify the person via certified mail to ensure delivery? I also understand that after formal notice of cancellation, the policy holder has 10 days to

make payment. I have not received any formal notice of cancellation, in fact I did not know it was cancelled until I received a refund check! I am sorry to say that I am greatly disappointed in Liberty Mutual! The local office told me to come back in 6 months and the new quoted rate will go down. At this point, why would I want to come back?

Tammy Clancy

Bethel, VT 05032

COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_32915#

7d7a2e6b, 2007-12-10, 07:18PM CST

Their rates don't ever go down. We have been with them for past few years and they can't even explain why the rates keep going up for someone who has a perfect driving record. They come up with stupid excuses every time. Do not go back because they gave us perfect quote but once we signed up they premium kept going up and never down. Their customer service is nice when you need to add a car and to give you a quote, basically when they are making money off of you but when you as a long term customer need something you are basically on your own.