Ford Intake Manifold - 1996 Crown Victoria - failure exactly as described in another vehicle recall Please see my letter to Ford regarding a defective intake manifold. Ford dealer told me t - Ford Intake Manifold - 1996 Crown Victoria - failure exactly as described in another vehicle recall

Posted on Thursday, July 11th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by e18aa97b

Company: Ford Intake Manifold - 1996 Crown Victoria - failure exactly as described in another vehicle recall Please see my letter to Ford regarding a defective intake manifold. Ford dealer told me t

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on July 9, 2002:

From: [email protected]

RE: Ford Intake Manifold - 1996 Crown Victoria - failure exactly as described in another vehicle recall Please see my letter to Ford regarding a defective intake manifold. Ford dealer told me they replace 2 or 3 every week. Can't say that I made any progress with Ford on this issue. I would not recommend buying a Ford in the Future. ***********************************

Some time back, the temperature gage on my father-in-law's 1996 Crown Victoria seemed to run a bit more to the hot side. He stopped and checked the engine. A small amount of coolant was found on the engine. First thought was that there may be a leak in one of the radiator hoses. Upon further inspection, the plastic intake manifold was found to be cracked.

I checked the Alldata website and, to my surprise, found a general recall notice for intake manifold replacement on 4.6 liter intake manifolds. I contacted Dale Jarrett Ford in Monroe, NC and was told that this particular automobile was not covered for the recall. This, even though the failure of the intake manifold was exactly as described in the recall bulletin.

I was told that only certain Crown Victoria automobiles are covered (police cars and taxi cabs) but not this particular car. Sir, the failure is due to a defective intake manifold and obviously has nothing to do with the type of automobile.

By pure chance, this intake manifold of defective design ended up on the engine in this car and not on an engine in either a police car or taxi cab. Ford Motor Company knows that this part is defective or a recall would not have been issued! Specifically, my father-in-law has been a loyal Ford customer since 1953, As a matter of fact, he still owns that 1953 Ford Victoria and refuses to sell it even thought many people have offered to buy it. In addition, he has purchased no fewer than three new Ford and two new Mercury automobiles throughout the years.

This, not to mention the many pre-owned Ford automobiles that have been purchased from Ford dealers during this time. I myself recently purchased a new Ford Windstar van, as I was of the belief that Ford products are superior to other brands. Based on his loyalty to the Ford brand, and the fact that the intake was obviously defective in its design, do you not feel you feel that this part should be covered under the recall? I feel that he should be given the benefit of the doubt in this case. At the very least, Ford Motor Company could cover the cost of the parts ($275 for the new intake manifold and gaskets). I look forward to your reply. Best Regards,

Jim Davis