Posted on Wednesday, January 8th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by 23cc0968

Company: Dooney & Bourke purse and luggage company - www.dooney.com - trouble redeeming gift certificates

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on January 6, 2003:

From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_19839#

RE: Dooney & Bourke purse and luggage company - www.dooney.com - trouble redeeming gift certificates

Here is a copy of the actual letter sent to the purse and luggage company Dooney and Bourke. Maybe my complaint will help others who experience substandard customer service and trouble redeeming gift certificates. I am writing to inform you of your substandard customer service. I dread ordering and doing business with your company. Each time I call I can expect at least a ten minute hold time during strict and often inconvenient hours. In addition, your website is unreliable. After choosing my items (which took considerable time), the website was experiencing "difficulties". Of course this was on a Saturday, one of the two days of the week when you are closed.

To make matters even worse you have a ridiculous policy concerning gift certificates. I was calling to order two items, a backpack and purse that I had a $175 gift certificate for. I tried to redeem them over the phone as is customary with many companies. I was informed that I would have to send them in. This is absurd. First, have you seen the size and inflexibility of the certificate? Folding it and stuffing it into your envelope would require a magician. Second, it states right on the certificate that it cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. What if it gets lost in the mail?

Now I have to send it certified and/or insured after placing it in a manila envelope. I asked to speak with a manager to see if this was indeed the policy. She informed me that it was. I explained the inconvenience of it and asked if we could do it over the phone. The manager was rude, condescending, and seemed to relish in telling me that there was nothing I could do about it. I pointed out that it would be good business if this very important information was printed somewhere in your catalog.

She told me I should research where I get my gift certificates from and not assume that all companies have policies like LLBean (they gladly accept them over the phone). The only reference I could find concerning how to redeem the certificates is on the note that comes with the certificate after it is purchased. You have to redeem it at one of your stores (the closest is 800 miles away) or by "catalog mail order".

I was truly disappointed and disgusted by the way I was treated. I have purchased only Dooney and Bourke purses and briefcases for 15 years. I love the look and quality. After this treatment, I will never buy or ask for another one of your products. I informed the rude manager that you have me over a barrel because I have to redeem the gift certificate in the manner dictated by your inflexible and ludicrous policy. So, instead of buying two items I will buy only the amount I have gift certificates for. Due to the treatment I received I refuse to give your company any more money.

I am disappointed I will no longer purchase your products, but there are many other high quality purse companies out there, Coach anyone? I would be surprised to hear from you, but I was so incensed by my experience I had to take time out of my busy day to "vent".

Thank you in advance if you choose to give this letter any thought. Please take me off of your mailing list. Oh, by the way please check the website "complaints.com" for my complaint of your company to them. I will take it upon myself to inform other unsuspecting customers and potential customers of yours about your nonsensical policy.

Respectfully submitted,

Cindy

c5bd0366, 2010-12-16, 06:06PM CST

Their custumer service is the worst. They don't even respond to email. I filed a complaint with the BBB of Ct.