Jeep - 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 - fuel pump and filter replaced at 38,886 miles

Posted on Tuesday, January 7th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by ed013168

Product: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4

Company: Jeep

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

This letter I sent to Chrysler regarding my Jeep-it’s not the only fix I have had to do but defiantly the most costly! Other failed Items were (and covered by warranty at the time) were Rotors for Front Disc brakes (known defect)/ and bad battery cable-and at the time of this writing my windshield washer pump is now gone out!(still only have less than 39000 miles on this vehicle-my tracker with 89000 has given me much less grief!) December 20, 2002 To Whom It May Concern: I am a owner of a 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo, bought from Caruso Jeep of Jacksonville in Nov of 1999. Currently it has 38,8876 miles. On the morning of Dec 9, 2002 my wife went out to start the car to go to work, it failed to start. After coming home that evening I tried starting the vehicle and was unsuccessful. That night I had it towed to the local GoodYear center and the next day had a diagnostic ran, the fuel pump had failed. Now this was not so discerning but after having the pump replaced the mechanic called and said that the fuel filter also needed to be changed.

He recommended after talking to him that evening that it be replaced every 15, 000 miles so I had already skipped two possible service intervals for it. Now I am a big proponent of regular service and I could not recall once while looking through both the owners manual and a Haynes manual on the Jeep of seeing anything saying I needed to replace a fuel filter at some periodic interval- I even re-read each manual to verify that I had not missed this but it is not mentioned at all in your owners manual to change this and (not your concern) but not mentioned in the Haynes manual either (not for the 1999’s). Now after talking to the mechanic at GoodYear I also find out that the fuel pump is a special part that Chrysler is tracking, he had to give out the model, make, VIN and mileage of the vehicle, and that the part couldn’t be obtained directly from the dealership it had to be ordered and shipped to get it. So after a little investigation I found out that this is a high failure part for the Jeep Cherokee, up to a 50+% failure rate! Now I do not understand why there is no general recall on the vehicle for such a thing! I have gotten recalls on seatbelts and a debris shield on the intake manifold, but nothing on a part that is known to fail in at least half of all vehicles. Frankly though I am not an extended warranty holder I feel you should have recalled this vehicle and had this part replaced, and coupled with the fact that you don’t even mention replacing the fuel filter in your owners manual this could have been a contributing cause to its failure. I am forwarding you a copy of my bill for the Fuel Pump/fuel filter repair – I honestly feel you should have recalled this part , and really would like compensation for it though I have no real legal standing on this and know you can just blow me off, but for at least the benefit of others who may experience the same problem shortly on their Jeeps I am lodging my complaint and request for reimbursement for the amount of $451.00( that’s parts and labor for replacement of the fuel pump and fuel filter). Adding one more official complaint about the product so perhaps the numbers will get high enough for you to do something about it. Respectively Mr. Delton R. Granger

3c34f92a, 2008-11-28, 10:16PM CST

Sounds like you need to get a new mechanic to me. You automatically change the fuel filter when you replace the fuel pump. The Haynes manual has nothing to do with telling you when you should service your vehicle. What difference does it make where the part comes from? Sometimes parts go out, get over it. I have 91,000 mile on my Jeep and no problems what so ever. But of course I do servicing on it also. Why would you go over 30,000 miles and no service? I am guessing you think you can do it yourself.

f8df1e9c, 2009-09-02, 12:27AM CDT

Chrysler made certain that both the fuel pump and filter were located IN the fuel tank which drives up the labor costs significantly in a not so veiled attempt to allow dealers to further profit from this unreliable vehicle. My mechanic quoted labor for replacing the fuel pump and filter at $40 if it were located outside the fuel tank, $210 if located inside. That's just labor.

My mechanic also recommended the fuel filter be replaced every 15,000 miles at a cost of $300 each time, not including fuel pump which invariably stops working on the majority of 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokees over short intervals of time.

Considering this topic only concerns fuel filter/pumps for the JGC I will try to omit the problems I've experienced with the transfer case, front and rear differential leaks, window regulators, turn signal flashers, door lock actuators and alarm system malfunctions. I'll also try not to dwell on the speakers going out after five years and the 10 disc CD player abruptly stop reading CD's at 70,000 miles.

Jeep used to make dependable, long lasting SUV's. Then Chrysler bought them out.

6902e0e3, 2010-12-21, 11:17PM CST

The fuel filter is actually located outside the fuel tank. It is near the rear axle closest to the driver side. The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank.