Posted on Friday, January 31st, 2003 at 12:00am CST by 5afd8506

Company: 1998 Pontiac Transport Montana - intake gasket failed due to Dex-Cool antifreeze - $ 600 replacement cost

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on January 29, 2003:

From: William Barry [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_19572#] RE: 1998 Pontiac Transport Montana - intake gasket failed due to Dex-Cool antifreeze - $ 600 replacement cost

I am the unfortunate owner of a 1998 Pontiac Transport Montana. Just this past weekend I was traveling out of town when my intake gasket gave out. Apparently this is a problem with allot of GM vans. My In-laws just had theirs replaced last week on their 2001 Chevy Venture. Theirs was covered under the warranty. I on the other hand have to dish out $600.

The reason for the gasket going bad is the Dex-Cool antifreeze. The wonderful 10 year 100,000 mile selling feature is not what it is supposed to be. And the worst part is GM knows about it. An additive in the Dex-Cool reacts with oxygen and actually starts to corrode the gaskets and the radiator.

I have been told by the garage (Too late now) that the 100,000 mile antifreeze must be changed every 30,000 miles. GM Has replaced enough of these gaskets to know that this is a problem and should at least make good on some of the money to repair these, or at least offer a free repair.

The fact that GM knows this problem exists and does nothing to fix it amazes me!! I will never buy another GM product again. I hate to say this, since I am a soldier in the US Army, but GM can't even come close to matching the workmanship or reliability of foreign car manufacturers!

William Barry