Posted on Wednesday, January 29th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by 3315d9fb

Company: 1997 GMC Jimmy - Dexcool put in car by Marina Motors, Santa Cruz, CA - 18 months later found out Dexcool ruined cooling system

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on January 27, 2003:

From: J goethe [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_19602#] RE: 1997 GMC Jimmy - Dexcool put in car by Marina Motors, Santa Cruz, CA - 18 months later found out Dexcool ruined cooling system

I have a "97 GMC Jimmy with 41,171 miles on it. On Jan. 20th '01, with 32,633 miles on it, I took it in for an oil change at econolube, they informed me that I needed a coolant change and that I would have to take it to a dealer. The dealer, Marina Motors in Santa Cruz Ca., performed bulletin 99-06-62-01B and it checked OK (according to them, of course).

A year and a half later and about 8,000 miles later I took it to Santa Cruz Auto for a tune-up and was informed by the owner that my engine, radiator and hoses were full of what looked like dry mud and that the whole system was ruined by the dexcool.

He had seen it many times. I talked to GMC this morning and told them of this, guess what? Both GMC AND my local dealer ( the service rep.) had never heard of this. UNBELIEVEABLE! There used to be a word in the American langauge that that has certainly been lost by AMERICAN AUTO COs. its called INTEGRETY. Where did it go?