Posted on Wednesday, January 30th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 40190337

Company: FleetBoston Platinum credit card - wanted Platinum card, but received classic card

# 13 for January 30, 2002

Complaints.com received the following e-message on January 29, 2002:

From: James Winter [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_18862#]

I have received numerous direct mail solicitations from FleetBoston Financial Corporation to receive their Platinum card. Finally I applied for one online, and though all the images and text refers to the Fleet Platinum card with balance transfer and other benefits, I was told I was approved for the basic 'classic' card product.

This product is of no use to me, I never wanted it, and what's more it impacts my credit rating to apply for more credit cards that do not fit my needs. FleetBoston are practicing a clear 'bait and switch' to drive growth in their classic card product. Frustrating and annoying, and deliberate, since their is no clear mention of the inferior classic card product which I would never have requested in the first place. Congratulations to FleetBoston for an effective misleading bait and switch campaign. I shall be writing to their corporate PR, the Boston Globe and MA consumer affairs.