1996 Chev S-10 Coolant -- DEX COOL may be cause to coolant system problems

Posted on Friday, January 25th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 39244ad2

Company: 1996 Chev S-10 Coolant -- DEX COOL may be cause to coolant system problems

# 22 for January 25, 2002

Complaints.com received the following e-message on January 24, 2002:

From: Joe Erbs [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_18976#]

1996 Chev S-10 Coolant -- DEX COOL may be cause to coolant system problems

It appears that I'm not alone with this problem! My 1996 S-10 with 4.3L engine and DEX COOL coolant has displayed no leakage and the overflow tank has never been dry but it does change level from hot to cold as it should. Some water has probably been added over the years due to evaporation.

Recently,(5 years vehicle age), I began to hear gurgleing sounds, mostly when cold, from where the heater core would be. I removed the radiator cap and saw heavy sludge at the inlet.

Also, the temp. gage has become erratic in that the indicated temp. now goes beyond 210 and then quickly backs off to something less than 200 as it would normally run in the past. Also heater outlet temp varies considerably.

I believe I have a partially plugged coolant system and a gas bubble trapped in the system. Dealer service has advised a pressure back flush and a new (and different ) radiator cap. My other GM vehicles pre 1996 had never experienced this problem. I believe the Dex Cool is the root cause.

COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_18976#