1997 Dodge Caravan - transmission died at 37,000 miles

Company: 1997 Dodge Caravan - transmission died at 37,000 miles

# 19 for January 25, 2002

Complaints.com received the following e-message on January 24, 2002:

From: Clay & Laura Beatty [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_18973#]

1997 Dodge Caravan - transmission died at 37,000 miles We purchased our 1997 Dodge Caravan June/July 1997. Last year, at 37,000 miles our transmission died. Of course, it was after the 36,000 warranty/3 year (it was about 3 years and 5 months old) warranty expired.

After arguing with the dealer and getting upset, they made us pay for labor and they paid for the transmission. I thought that was a good compromise at the time but not now. Now our A/C has died. We just got that fixed yesterday for $825 at 42,920 miles.

He said it was the A/C compressor and that it definitely could be related to the A/C evaporator being broken which has an extended "goodwill" warranty on "certain" models from 1993 thru 1997 and that I could get that part fixed through my Chrysler dealer under this extended warranty.

Well, I found a website with the exact wording of this extended warranty: "1993-97 Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer, Concorde, Intrepid, LHS, New Yorker, and Vision.

Problem: AC evaporator failure. Warranty coverage: Chrysler has extended the warranty to up to 7 years/70,000 miles. Owners will be reimbursed for previous AC repairs." Unfortunately, because my Chrysler minivan isn't one of the models mentioned, I don't get a new evaporator.

Chrysler is free to limit this program to the evaporator and to the vehicles listed above, after all, they are simply modifying their expressed warranty.

But I feel we are just as free to plead the implied warranty, and argue that this extension sets a benchmark for the warranty repairs on the entire AC as to what Chrysler considers reasonable durability under consumer protection statutes and also that Chrysler is unfairly excluding other models using the same system with the same AC failures (come on, what's applicable to a Concorde should be applicable to a Caravan, in my opinion).

Anyway, they said no. The dealer hung up on me, and their Customer Relations office said that my car wasn't one of the cars with the extended warranty. So I guess it's now time for small claims court.

Back to the transmission. While researching over the Internet my current A/C problems and looking to see if there were any lemon laws for older cars, I stumbled across many websites with complaints about the minivan's transmission problems.

Many people getting not one but 2 or 3 new transmissions starting at about 40,000 miles. Clearly, they have defective transmissions in their cars. Yet I didn't know this when I had my transmission problems last year or I would have fought having to pay anything for the repairs. Lesson, don't buy Chrysler minivans or be SURE to purchased a good extended warranty!