Posted on Wednesday, January 2nd, 2002 at 12:00am CST by d841a528

Company: Helig-Meyer - mattress defective, company bankrupt, still have to pay for mattress

Complaints.com received the following e-message on January 1, 2002:

From: Sandra Griffin [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_19487#]

Helig-Meyer went bankrupt. I have a mattress that cost approximately $1,000.00 and it sinks and leaves lumps in the mattress. I called and reported it to the company before they went bankrupt. After they went

bankrupt I was given several numbers to call and none of them could assist me.

I have called the better business bereau in my city as well as the city where the main office for Helig-Meyer is located. I get pretty much the same answer, the company has gone bankrupt. I still owe money to this company - approximately the amount for the mattress. I feel that I should not have to pay for something that is defective.

I can not seem to get recourse regarding this mattress. I have called all the numbers given me to find a way to handle this problem. My question is how can I get this resolved. If I refuse to pay the remaining balance it will show up on my credit report. Please advise. Sandra

ff6ce711, 2010-01-26, 04:44PM CST

I am in the same boat as you. I made payments until they were returned from the bankruptcy court that was taking payments. They informed me that they were no longer handling this acct. and I was given no forwarding address to send payments. I had not heard anything from this company in many years, but last night a collection agency called me about this 8 or 9 year old debt. It is not on any of my credit reports.

I paid for stain guard for the mattress I bought and I paid about $124.00 as I recall, and when I called about my new $1200.00 mattress having a stain, they sent me a bottle of Woolite, so much for the expensive stain guard I paid for. It was not my fault they went bankrupt, and they gaot payments monthly as long as I had a acct. with them. The store where I was sending my payments suddenly was closed, and then I got a letter from the Bankruptcy Court telling me where to send my payments. After about 6 to 9 months my payments started being returned because this court was no longer the receivor for H-M Furniture. Now this collection place is trying to add late fees and interest because of something that was not my fault. My mattress was also very por quality even though it is a Serta Mattress. I built a new hoime, and I plan on getting a Sleep Number bed soon. My credit has not been affected by this debt. I tried to find out where to send payments but was unable to, and I will not pay some scamming collection agency money I do not know. Good Luck.