Posted on Tuesday, January 1st, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 6a0778d9

Company: AARP Automobile Insurance - The Hartford Insurance Company - unable to insure Corvette

Complaints.com received the following e-message on December 31, 2001:

From: William Pearce [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_19505#]

I am 64 years old and the proud owner of a 1985 Corvette. I have been discriminated against because I am a "Corvette" owner.

Recently I received a mailg from the AARP Automobile insurance program from The Hartford Insurance Company. They promised me a savings of $332.00 per year on my auto insurance. So I called 1-800-675-3447 to signup for savings.

When they were told I have a Corvette (driven only 3000 miles per year) they said they could not insure me!! I have not had accident in over 25 years, no tickets, no nothing. I could own anything else but a Corvette. Now that is discrimination!!!

Bill

8c73a610, 2008-08-29, 02:34PM CDT

Bill,

This is not discrimination. Discrimination would come into play if they advised you that they could not insure you because of your race, religous beliefs, etc. They are legally using statistics that show Corvette's are more dangerous than other vehicles. Insurance premiums are based on the probability of something happening and your vehicle has a higher probability. Also, I doubt they "PROMISED" you a $382.00 savings, they probably said they may be able to save you $382.00...there is a difference.

afd8cf99, 2011-06-28, 02:01PM CDT

It's not descrimination. It's called Company Guidelines - which are filed with the state and approved by the Insurance Comissioner of each state where that is a guideline.

The Hartford was not writing High Performance vehicles at all in 2001. I was a service rep with the company at the time.

afd8cf99, 2011-06-28, 02:06PM CDT

The ignorance is killing me!

No mailer PROMISES any ammount of savings. The mailer is advertizing the average savings of customers who did switch in the area/state where the mailer was sent...

Also you could not have ANY other car except a Corvette... HIG also wouldnt insure Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porshe or Lotis of ANY model. No V8 Mustangs or Camaros. They would also at the time not insure any vehicle with a COST NEW of over 85K... So if you had a USED top of the line mercedes and paid only 35K for it... If it was 5 years old and 5 years prior when the car rolled off of the lot it cost over 85K It would not meet guidelines and not be insured by The Hartford.