Posted on Friday, February 7th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by f501f77a

Company: 1996 Chevrolet Blazer - very little or no heat several winters in a row - Dexcool turning to slude

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on February 5, 2003:

From: Bill Roberts [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_22078#] RE: 1996 Chevrolet Blazer - very little or no heat several winters in a row - Dexcool turning to slude

I own a 1996 Chevrolet Blazer that I acquired used off of a friend 3 years ago, during the summer. Once winter rolled around, I had very little to no heat. Thermostat and heater core bad. OK, 75 kmi or so, getting old. two years ago, water pump goes. Then winter rolls around again, again no heat.

Thermostat again, and blower. NO problems until this winter. Again no heat!!!! Now I finally find out that it is caused by the dexcool turning to sludge. Finally found a mechanic who is familiar with this problem, stating that there is an eight page bulletin from Chevy about this, but NO RECALL!!!!

Needed to flush and fill, new thermostat, and a new water pump again, and changed the Dexcool over to the regular antifreeze, totalling $370 this time.

I grew up believing that Chevy's were reliable and trustworthy. Thats why two out of three of my vehicles are Chevy products!!!! I can't believe that Chevy would put something in their vehicles as unreliable as this stuff, I would expect that from, say. . . . FORD!!!!