AOL - AOL - child signed up for two billable accounts, which weren't approved by adult

Posted on Tuesday, February 4th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by a100dfe5

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

my daughter 11, yrs. old, saw aol's pop-up "create your own account today" with your screen name. She thought it would be fun to have an account and own screen name - NOT KNOWING IT WAS GOING TO BE AN ADDITIONAL BILL - SHE DID THIS TWICE. I received a notice from Sprint, thru whom I am billed - and they said AOL is billing you for 3 accounts.

It has been stopped, but I still have a balance of over $200.00. I wasn't even due a single bill (free time for upgrading) until March, 2003. I cannot understand how a child can open an account without giving personal date, i.e., a portion or my social security numer. I cannot even talk to them on the phone about ANYTHING unless I divulge the last four digits.

I am a single mom with an 11 year old and we both enjoy the internet. Unfortunately, on our limited income, I can only afford to be billed thru Sprint. Because I have only been able to talk to one Jerk in billing, claiming he was as high as it get (supervisory wise).

He said TOO BAD. Now I am going to lose my phone service as well. Any ideas out there. I do not have a major credit card or I would have gone with another provider in the first place. Thanks - I would love a response.