VW - 2001 Jetta 1.8T - all four windows would roll down when car turned off - rattle from the dashbord - water leaking from driver side door

Posted on Friday, February 21st, 2003 at 12:00am CST by 5759ee89

Product: 2001 Jetta 1.8T

Company: VW

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

Here goes an attempt by an angry and upset customer to describe my story about my 2001 Jetta 1.8T within a reasonable length. The car was bought brand new in November 2000. By January 2001 it was into the dealership to get fixed. This first problem was that all four windows would roll down at the same time when the car was turned off. That's right…in the middle of winter here in Ottawa, Canada, I'd pull into a parking spot, turn the key to kill the engine and 2 seconds later all 4 window would just roll down. Nice, eh? VW covered this, free of charge, stating the environmental control computer had to be reset. Also being looked at during this visit was a constant rattle that came from the middle of dashboard…only during cold weather. They claimed to have fixed it by tightening a bolt that held the vent cover on, but this sound never went away. It still happens to this day, even after having them look into it twice more during other scheduled maintenance visits. The next problem arose a several months later (December 2001 to be precise). I would be driving down the road during a rainy/wet day and all of a sudden something would catch my eye just to my left…something that looked like it was falling into the car. It happened a few times until I finally I had a chance to look down and saw a small puddle of water developing on the window controls (driver side door). Water was leaking into the car from the driver door. I brought this into the dealership (which happened to be about 1000kms before the next scheduled maintenance interval) so they could fix it for me. Now keep in mind that, at least in Canada, the 2001 Jetta has a 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty. My car was returned to me with a $15 charge for a door latch adjustment to fix the leaking water, and a $50 charge for an oil & filter change! I argued that I shouldn't be charged for either!!! The oil change is supposed to be covered during all regular scheduled maintenance intervals for the first 2 years, and the car was leaking water inside!! Nope, I couldn't take the car until I paid. Having no choice I did so and then contact VW customer care. VW customer care… It was explained to me that because it was an adjustment that was required to fix the leaking water, that adjustments are only covered for the first year. Nice 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty that is!!!

As for the oil change, I was told it was in early for the scheduled interval and so was not covered. I argued with the like mad for the next 2 days until finally I got to someone that agreed I should not have been charged, and I got my money back for it. But the door leaking water issue, although not expensive, out of principal is absolutely absurd. This brings us to today. The door latch adjustment never did fix the problem...in fact it got worse over time. Above and beyond water leaking into the car, a significant amount of wind noise was now present. Take your hand and squeeze the top part of the door to the frame and the noise disappears…let go and it comes back. I'd just about given up on this car and on VW. In fact, I let this problem go for about 4 months before bringing it in last week. I figured I'd just live with it, but it finally got to me. For once I experienced a glimmer of good customer service. The car is beyond it's 2 year warranty, but they replaced the rubber seal around the door free of charge. And the wind noise is gone…I'll have to wait until the summer to see if the water leaks stop. Just when I thought things were looking up, more problems…costly problems! The car is back in today because of an intense grinding sound coming from the back when I brake. Ice build up…maybe? Nope, I'm told I have metal on metal at the back…that the brake pads and rotors need to be replaced…a cost of $420 total! How can it possibly be that the car was in on Monday getting the rubber seal replaced (ordered in from last week), and that two days later the rear brakes are completely shot!! The tech took the car for a spin before and after replacing the rubber seal…you're telling me that a day and half later this problem shows up and requires $420 worth of work and parts! …that's the last straw. There is no other way to say it. The cars (at least the Jetta) are poor, in my experience, and the customer service is even worse. I'll never buy a VW again. BTW, I'm selling the car in the spring... anybody wanna buy a car?

Cheers, Chris

082c1035, 2008-05-02, 12:45AM CDT

Are you kidding me??? First of all these cars don't have an environmental control computer. Your brakes will not last more than 2 years shut up and pay for them. This must have been your first car.

3d97910d, 2008-06-09, 04:10PM CDT

Your crazy, apparantly you've never had any actual costly problems... Brake Pads and Rotors are maintance... Wow...