AOL - AOL - trying to cancel account - receiving the run-around - told didn't receive two faxes - given incorrect fax number, twice - terrible service experience

Posted on Wednesday, February 19th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by e5e15e16

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

Mr. Miller, I thought you may be interested in knowing how your company handles its customer service issues. Upon trying to cancel our account with AOL we have received nothing but the run-around. First, I would like to say that I had contact with the customer service via online and they were great. They gave me all the information I needed. Then I sent a fax to cancel my account. I requested written confirmation which I never received so I called the 888-265-8008 customer service number. I was told that they had never received the two faxes I had sent and that another month had already been deducted from my checking account. I was then given an incorrect fax number. I spoke with Sonya, and she gave me the same number I already had as the correct number. It seems customer policy is stall them and give them the run-around and maybe they will give up. It was at this point that I was told of other AOL programs. Why isn't it common practice to give all these different options and prices at the end of a trial period? Why do you just go into a person's account and take them for the highest possible amount? It would be good customer service to give these out BEFORE someone calls to cancel. I would just like you to know that prior to trying to cancel, our experience with AOL had been fine. Not good OR bad. I might have considered going back to AOL at some point in the future. However, the treatment I received from the people at the 888-265-8008 number while trying to cancel my account will keep me from EVER using AOL in the future.

I was given misinformation, told my faxes had not been received, treated rudely by all the people on the phone, spoken to in a condescending manner, and it has soured me to AOL completely. And I tried to send an email to AOLMbrServices, and SURPRISE, they aren't taking email from my account. I will be certain to share this experience with anyone who will listen. Thank you for confirming my decision to make a change.