Mercedes - 1998 Mercedes SLK230 - steering getting sloppy over time and got steering box replaced - replaced transmission at 79,000 miles

Posted on Tuesday, February 11th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by 4d9ff929

Product: 1998 Mercedes SLK230

Company: Mercedes

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

Back in 1998 I bought a brand new Mercedes SLK230 (after having waited over 13 months on order with money down). Once I got it, it had constant problems. The most alarming was the steering getting sloppy over time. I had to nudge it through highway corners.

My dealer looked at it, said there was nothing wrong. I had them look at it a second time, but it "drove like a new one". The third time I insisted there was something seriously wrong. The service manager took it for a drive, and declared it too unsafe to drive. They replace the entire steering box. Boy, talk about inconsistency and for something dangerous!!!

Finally, about 2 months ago, the transmission started lurching and they told me a needed an all new transmission (at only 79,000 miles). I said I don't think so. I bought a premium car to avoid problems like this. I pointed out that I had been paying $300 for dealer servicing all along, or basically $300 for an oil change so they could wiggle the belts and inspect etc.. to head off problems like this. But, it was out of warranty, so they had me.

They really wanted me to trade it in on a new Mercedes. How dumb do they think I am? I went back to an Audi A4, what I had before the SLK. Better car, and a lot cheaper. Mercedes is coasting on their reputation. The quality just isn't there, and they don't back their products. Buyer beware!

Geoffrey