Posted on Thursday, February 28th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 3dbd7129

Company: Experian Credit Reporting Agency, Allen, Texas - a consumer opinion, based on his experience

# 11 for February 27, 2002

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on February 26, 2002:

From: Tony Badillo [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_21070#]

Experian's purpose is not to provide honest credit reports about anybody but to enrich itself by supplying such reports, no matter what errors they may contain. As far as I know, I have good credit and have not been turned down by credit card companies, for instance, or a line of credit by my own bank. A short time ago I applied for a automobile loan through another bank, Peoplefirst.

At first I was told I had been accepted, then I the approval was withdrawn because of a negative credit report furnished by Experian. This came as a surprise to me because I have good credit, no problems. I then requested what was supposed to be my free credit report from Experian and they rejected the request unless I provided them the following, and I quote from their form letter to me (emphatic underscoring below is their's): "...we must require all of the following information in order to process your request:

full name, including middle name and generation (such as JR, SR, I II); current address and

two proofs of address (such as copies of your utility bill, driver's license, bank statement,

etc.); Social Security number ... date of birth; complete addresses for the past five years (including apartment numbers and ZIP codes, and spouses's first name ..." I then asked Peoplefirst, "How did you identify me to Experian in order to get my credit report?" and I was told by telephone and by email "We use the name and social security you provided us ...". In other words, the bank can get my credit report by furnishing Experian only two items about me: my name and SS number, but to get that same information I have to furnish Experian a all of the things listed above. By requiring so much unnecessary personal information from the consumer Experian hopes to discourage providing free credit reports. But if the consumer provides the information, then Experian uses it to update their old information, which makes their product more saleable.

In either case it serves their greed. It is clearly a false that so much personal information is required to identify the consumer since the bank is required to furnish only two items, the loan applicant's name and his Social Security Number. Santos (Tony) Badillo, Dallas Texas

4ea12042, 2008-08-15, 09:07AM CDT

It is some years since this person voiced his complaint...apparently it, nor, I am sure, the thousands there must be like it, made no difference whatsoever.

I am fresh out of a divorce and sought a simple thing, to have the credit freeze my former husband had installed, lifted so that I might do such simple things as get a cell phone.

I wrote to Experian providing that same list that Mr. Badillo was required to submit. I provided everything that was required to have the freeze lifted and included my change of address. I did not include the $5 it takes to remove the freeze as I had not received that information.

The first thing that happened, despite the very full explanation in my letter, was that they refused to do anything until they made sure that I had, in fact, moved. But because I had moved, I now needed to send them utility bills I did not have, being in a new location. It took over three weeks to iron that out as it can only be done via the US Mail because there is no way - no way! - to speak with a living human being at the customer service number that is provided.

I sent in the check that was requested immediately but they would not do anything until I sent in the new bills, despite actually having sent me mail at the address, having my SS info and all the rest of it. I got the same darn form letter back saying that they needed this other information. But the form letter is so vague that you're never entirely sure what piece is missing - it doesn't say - so you have to either guess or re-send everything.

It has been two months now since I requested that the freeze be lifted. In the last letter I did, in fact, re-send everything except for the check which is in their possession. Yesterday I got the same form letter all over again.

And, of course, my only recourse is to re-send everything all over again and perhaps even send them another $5 check which, at this point, almost seems worth it.

My experience with the other two companies was almost as bad but in both cases I found ways to speak with a human being and, after over a month, one of those is resolved and I'm just crossing my fingers about the other one.

This ruse, clearly designed to hold us all exactly where the credit companies want us, at their whim, is one of the most despicable programs being foisted on Americans today. That we have to pay to have access to information that is, in fact, ours is ludicrous. That we have to pay to be protected from people who can steal this information, (could it be the credit companies themselves???) and ruin our credit when we have to pay to get it would be laughable if it were not so hideous.