Posted on Monday, February 18th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by e3e35e86

Company: 1998 Volvo S70 Windshields - windshield pitting due to small stones hitting windshield

# 13 for February 18, 2002

Complaints.com received the following e-message on February 17, 2002:

From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_21244#

1998 Volvo S70 Windshields - windshield pitting due to small stones hitting windshield COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_65770# Let me introduce myself. I am an 18-year-old male, born and raised in recently separated family in the suburbs about 30 minutes from Philadelphia. My mother has always been a Volvo driver. I believe the count is now up to four different Volvos she has leased/bought over the years.

Currently she drives a 1998 S70. Thursday my mother had her windshield replaced due to pitting, or small dings due to small stones hitting the windshield at a significant speed. This pitting tends to induce great difficulty in seeing through the windshield due to the excessive light refraction. Many times squinting is the only possible option available in order to keep vision focused on the road.

Recently, my mother convinced me to buy a used 98 S70 T5. I have always driven Fords in the past, and my father has always driven Fords. I took the advice, however, and followed in my mother's steps, buying the S70.

I purchased the T5, and fell in love with it, but noticed one aspect I couldn't put behind me. The pitting in the windshield is horrible. I thought my mother to be a bit impulsive, when I heard she was replacing her windshield due to glare or refraction from pitting. But now I understand. Never in my life have I seen windshields pit like Volvos.

I'll admit, I love my car, but I have driven two Fords, and been in an estimated sixty different cars in my lifetime, many of them with over 100,000 miles on them. It appears strange to me that Volvo windshields pit compared to all the other cars I have seen, which don't pit. I don't know whether it's softer glass or what, but Volvo windshields have a tendency to pit more than other cars.

On my budget, trying to save money for college next year, and also now paying for my Volvo that I love, I have no funds to replace a windshield. I tried to see if the extended warranty I purchased would cover it, but found no luck.

The only option I have left is ask you to replace my windshield. It has been three days since I purchased my car, and this is the only flaw I have found. Since it is not because of anything I, or the previous owner have done, it falls under the category of flaw in workmanship, or a genre along the same lines. Please consider acting upon this. Sincerely,

D.J. Horton