1999 Kia Sportage - frequent visits to dealership for repairs

# 20 for February 16, 2002

Complaints.com received the following e-message on February 15, 2002:

From: Bishop, Sharon [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_21291#]

1999 Kia Sportage - frequent visits to dealership for repairs

I leased a 1999 Kia Sportage in November of 1999 for my daughter. Of course I let her pick her own vehicle and she picked the pretty purple jeep. WHAT A NIGHTMARE By March, 2000 with less than 500 miles on it I started my "frequent" visits to the dealership for repairs. The check engine light came on and has been consistently coming on since March, 2000. I have had the brakes replaced on this car twice and it had less than 15,.000. miles on it. The car drives itself with sudden acceleration at any given time.

On the passenger side of the car when using the air conditioner, raining, car washes the passenger's feet are soaked and continue to be until the water dries up. The radio will not keep stations and sometimes just won't turn on. The CD player should be called a NOT CD player as it will not play half of the time or heats up the compact disc so much it ejects it.

Fuses have blown and trapped my daughter and myself in the car in 115 degree weather in California. This has happened twice. The car while idling on the expressway will just take itself out of gear and you must punch on the gas to get the transmission to engage. I have a lemon law suit against KIA and now because I got someone's attention by refusing to make the payments, they are going to take the car and knowingly sell this piece of crap to some poor person at an auction. As far as the car goes they can have it but from a consumers standpoint I am extremely angered to know that they can ignore legal action and danger to consumers. They have refused to complete any repairs after the car reached 34,000 miles and the dealer stated they were not going to be paid for it per KIA and so they refused to fix it. I am stuck with bad credit and all because these idiots can not own up to a manufacturing nightmare mistake. I would like to donate this car to one of KIA's CEO or CFO's children to see how safe they feel in it. I am sure they are driving BMW's or Mercedes. Sincerely, Sharon Bishop

Out of options