Rockaway Bedding, New Windsor, NY (King Koil Spine Support)

Posted on Wednesday, September 20th, 2006 at 12:00am CDT by 34249e3e

Company: Rockaway Bedding, New Windsor, NY (King Koil Spine Support)

Rockaway Bedding, New Windsor, NY (King Koil Spine Support)

September 19, 2006

In May, 2006, I purchased a King Koil, Spine Support mattress and box spring in the store in New Windsor, New York. It was delivered on May 26th. I immediately went online to the King Koil website and printed off the rotation instructions in order to keep in compliance with the Manufacturer’s Warranty as well as to obtain and, sustain the maximum comfort level. I listed the dates (two week intervals) on that copy that I printed of every date in which I rotated the mattress.

1. After sleeping on it for about one month and a half, I noticed I was waking up in the morning in a hole. After having my last pillow top Bassett mattress for almost 15 years, I felt that something was not right. This bed had developed a considerable sag in the middle after only two months. It was so unsettling to me that I had to go back to the store to discuss this with the salesperson.

Please find listed below all dates and scenario of events:

08/05/06 - Returned to the New Windsor and spoke with the only salesperson there.

I spoke with Ken, and I asked him, is it possible for a mattress to be defective? He said I guess anything could be defective and asked me what I was referring to. I told him the problem I was having and when I started to point out the model on the floor I noticed it wasn’t there. He proceeded to tell me that he was instructed by management to remove that King Koil set from the floor and not to sell it because there had been complaints and evidently there was a problem with it. I told him, I was glad that I had came in and found that out. He gave me the yellow sheet with the customer service number circled to call.

08/07/06 - I called customer service and left a message.

08/10/06 - Message received on my answering machine at home to call back to set up an appointment for inspection.

08/11/06 - I called customer service back and again no person answered and I left a message with my work number so that we could actually connect and talk.

08/12/06 - Message received on my answering machine at home stating that an appointment was set for 08/14/06 between 3-6PM and to call back to confirm.

08/12/06 - I called customer service back and left a message to confirmed I would be home on that date and time in order to have the inspection.

08/14/06 - The inspector from Furniture Doctor came and proceeded to test in the most bizzare way. He laid string across the bed and took pictures. He knelt with one knee on all four corners of the bed which are of course the firmest sections and never once pushed on or fully inspected the middle of the bed. I could immediately see where this was going.

08/17/06 - I returned to the store in New Windsor and again spoke with the salesperson, Ken.

He said he would call me at work the next day and give me an update as to when I might receive the report in the mail.

08/18/06 - No call received from salesperson as stated.

08/28/06 - I returned back to the store in New Windsor again and this time spoke with another salesperson, Steve. He said he could do nothing and I would have to call customer service again.

08/28/06 - I called customer service and actually got a person. They referred me to the person handling this problem. Her name was Geannie. She told me that she was just typing up the inspection report at that time and the results were that there were no defects and she could give me a credit after deducting for depreciation and a fee to remove the bed. Basically, this was going to be a $200 charge and I would get a credit for around $600 to go back to their store and pick out something new. I said with no disrespect to you, but that is total "bullcrap". You cannot be serious and believe that as a consumer I am going to accept that. I told her to go ahead and fax that report to the store where I made my purchase as well as mail a copy to my address. I went back to the store and again spoke with salesperson, Steve to express just how dissatisfied I was. At that time he still had not yet received the fax. He himself called Geannie at customer service and she said she was still working on completing it.

09/02/06 - I returned to the store yet again to find a different salesperson. She said her name was Alicia and she was the stores manager. I had to then again tell her the entire story and I showed her pictures that I had taken. I asked her to check for the fax which was suppose to be there but of course, no fax. She said she could do nothing and to call customer service and couldn’t understand why I had not yet received my copy of the report. She tried calling Geannie at customer service to find out but, because of the Labor Day Holiday, Geannie was out of the office. Alicia said she would follow up on Tuesday and call me back with an update. I told her upon leaving the store, that I wanted the bedding removed and a full credit of $810.93 made to my credit card.

09/05/06 - Alecia left me a message on my answering machine that the report was sent out and I should be receiving it shortly.

09/06/06 - I received the standard documents which contained a cover letter, warranty claim information, King Koil Care Guide and Limited Warranty information containing the rotation information which I had retrieved immediately as stated above, the inspectors report, and the credit memo in the amount of $606.57.

09/07/06. I called customer service and left a message for Geannie stating I had received the package and that to me it was unacceptable and I wanted the bedding removed and I wanted a full refund made to my credit card. I also told her that I would be generating a "formal grievance" letter and mailing it out to her in hopes that she could speak to her management to meet my demands.

09/08/06 - I received a call at my home from Geannie at customer service. She proceeded to go on about how she had said I was suppose to receive a replacement on 9/6 and because of this and that and bla bla bla... I stopped her and said I think you have the wrong person. She proceeded on with more of bla bla bla bla bla which I had no idea of what she was talking about. I stopped her again and I said, I think you have the wrong person. You and I have never discussed any of this that you are talking about. She said wait a minute and then said, "I apologize, you’re are right, I have the wrong customer number".. Again, just another example of the poor customer service that this company provides and proof of the volume of customer complaints that they must receive. However, I do have to give Geannie credit. She was prepared for fight and didn’t miss a beat in her presentation. She just had the wrong person. I truly believe she would not have called me, she just happen to dial the wrong number. She offered to send out another inspector and I explained I do not care to drag this out any longer and all I want is for this bedding to be removed from my home at no charge to me and, a full credit made to my credit card. She said she didn’t have the authority to do that and to send the letter so that it could be reviewed by management. I stated in that letter that I truly hope that this can be settled in a timely fashion and that I receive what I have requested. If not, I am prepared to send this letter and all supporting documentation and photographs to the following:

NYS Attorney General

The Capital

Albany, New York 12224

The Better Business Bureau (Online)

WWW.Complaints.com (Online)

Orange County Department of Consumer Affairs

99 Main Street

Goshen, New York 10924

Christine Young - Times Herald Record News Reporter for Consumer Affairs

09/10/06 - I put the letter in the mail to them on 09/09/06.

09/19/06 - As of this date I still have not heard back from them. This mattress continues to sag in the middle more and more each day. I am now waking up with shoulder and low back pain. I believe that they are purposely dragging this out hoping to perpetrate their scam that they have going on to sell inferior merchandise and then pocket a third of the money and offer the customer this bogus credit amount in their store. I do not want store credit, I want this bedding removed from my home immediately and I want a full refund credited to my credit card.

Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_2774#

e0e5c0a2, 2008-07-19, 11:31PM CDT

hi,

i am absolutely agree on your statement, i got same problem with my KING KOIL mattress. Mattress doctor visit too. you know what he gave the report that I sit on the adages of the mattress for an hours. when i found that bull shit from customer services that made me crazy. i told them this bed had developed a considerable sag in the middle after 3 months the day when i bought. who has such freak time to sit on the edges on the mattress for an hour . Every morning i am waking up with BACK PAIN.

i call every 2 weeks to customer services to remove this mattress but result is 0 NILL.

e0e5c0a2, 2008-07-19, 11:32PM CDT

hi,

3bd0393b, 2010-08-06, 02:01PM CDT

TO be honest you sound very pedantic. Did you check the base of your bed? As it seems that what you descibe is a base support problem. Also why did you not insist on the inspector taking more notice of where the actual problem was?

As to yuor fanciful scam notion 2 people do not make the "volume" of complaint you allude to. As to a total refund made to your credit card, really, if you are pedantic enough to "immediatley" go online to download the turning schedule then surely you also read your warranty? Repair or replace is usually the stipulated cluase, no-one will get a refund transfered directly onto their credit card for any product, if a refund is agreed it will be by cheque. Finally if you were suffering so badly from sleeping on the mattress why were you sleeping on it? I feel you are a crank who would look for the complaints desk in Utopia.