Kenmore Trio Elite Refrigerator

Posted on Wednesday, October 18th, 2006 at 12:00am CDT by 7c2198b4

Company: Kenmore Trio Elite Refrigerator

Kenmore Trio Elite Refrigerator

October 17, 2006

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator in April 2004. This weekend we were hearing loud thumping noises coming from the refridgerator and earlier that afternoon, the top refrigerator portion of the unit died. While the freezer works, the top half of the unit does not. Needless to say, I called 1-800-4my-home to get service as quickly as possible. I mentioned since this unit was only 2.5 years old it should all be under warranty . Although the manual states differently regarding the coolant, compressor parts, are warrantied for 5 years according to the manual that came with the refrigerator. I made the appointment on Saturday for that Tuesday. My husband took off of work waiting for repair because they had confirmed that someone would be there between 8am-12noon. At 11:00am I called my husband to see if they had arrived. They had not. Concerned I called the Sears 1-800-4my-home number to check on it. Lo and behold, there was no appointment in their schedule to service our refrigerator, even after I emphasized the phone attendant to confirm Tuesday morning through noon. When I asked that they come out as soon as possible (it's been 4 days now), they said nothing was available that all they could do it put me on a waiting list for a cancellation but Friday morning (now 1 week later) had been put on the schedule for us. My concern is #1 why would a $2000 refrigerator break down in only 2.5 years?

Concern #2 -- are Kenmore appliances that bad that their service schedule is so jammed packed where you have to wait a week?

Concer #3 -- Why do they not know what the warranty reads in the manual? Loss - 4 hours of work/time out of the office and no food for the refrigerator.... Less than happy with the product and with the service. I'd go elsewhere next time.

7ea6a095, 2007-09-20, 08:55AM CDT

My $2100.00 Kenmore elite refrigerator only lasted nine months (and has been repaired several times already)! Oh by the way, this was my 3rd Kenmore elite trio refrigerator in that nine month time frame. The first two arrived broken!

The lesson here is:

STAY AWAY FROM SEARS!!!! They do NOT stand behind the junk they sell!

b5ffc8a4, 2007-12-06, 02:43PM CST

check website for recalls on the kenmore trio/elite refrigs...they are there and follow instructions to recoupe your money

da62c5d9, 2008-01-13, 12:04AM CST

I had the same experience with the Kenmore Elite Trio Refrigerator, and Customer Service. I had issues with the thermostat, and three times the "new" unit that was installed failed, time and time again. Getting "Customer Service" to get out in a timely manner was almost impossible. I had to make several appointments to get the job done. Which in turn meant taking time off from work... Customer Service was unsatisfactory, Produce was borderline. I would also look elswhere next time.

4bc7c9cc, 2008-03-19, 08:46PM CDT

We purchased the Kenmore Elite in August 2004; it has gone out at least 3 times but by the time the repairman gets here it is working again and he says its not broke can't fix it. either the refrigerator would stop cooling or the freezer. We have had to wait better than 2 weeks for the repairman to come out. Last time I requested a maintenance on the refrigerator. My husband said he came out spent 5 minutes and was gone did not do any maintenance. It has always been the se repairman that came out. I called and compained and advised them not to send that repairman out again. This was last October. Finally it went out completely last Thrusday. Called and repairman could be here on Monday the 17th. He came in listened to it and said it was a replay. Put a replay in did not work. It was the compressor. The compressor was to be shipped on Monday and the repairman said it should be here on Wednesday and he would be here on Friday. Did not receive the compressor on Wednesday. Called spoke to 2 different people trying to get a UPS tracking # so I could check for myself when it was shipped. Was told that the item was at Sears by one person but he could not tell me when UPS would pick it up - I told him that Sears schedules the pickups Told him I wanted it shipped overnite so that it would be here Friday morning by 9:00 AM. Of course he could not do it so I asked to speak with someone who could. Was then told that it had not been ordered. Finallly spoke with a Manager and he told me the item had been backordered. Blew up. I told him that I had been on the Sears parts site and it showed the item in stock. He checked and said it sure does. I told him I wanted it shipped tomorrow with Friday AM delivery. He said he needed to check with the part department to see what the problem was. Of couse it was 8:00 PM and no one was there so I am to call back and speak with sommeone in the Rapid Resolution Team. A few minutes after I hung up a Sears rep. called and wanted to know if we had received the part. I briefly told her about my phone conversaiton with Sears and she said the part had been shipped and to call as soon as it was received to schedule a service call. We have always purchased our appliances from Sears but we will no longer do so. My dryer went out a while back and I did not go to Sears to buy another one due to the problems with the refrigerator.

c179f403, 2008-06-22, 12:18AM CDT

I also have a Kenmore Elite three door

refrigerator. I have had it for three and a half years. I have had it repaired seven times. I have missed so much work over this thing it is unblivable. I have scheduled service over and over again. I have stayed home from work to only have no one show up. When I call again. I am told no one put down a service call for me. I seem to never get service earler then three weeks from the day I call. I feel my food has been in an ice chest more then in this pice of junk. Sears is not keeping their part on the warranty. Why I ever paid for it, I dont know. After seven times of haveing this thing fixed.This is after making about twenty appointments with repair. I now find out is has been on the recall list for three years. Once again it is broken, and once again no sears repair man.Sears also will not call it a limon. Come on give me a break. This refridgerator cost alot of money to be such a pice of junk.

2cfd64d1, 2008-07-09, 06:21PM CDT

I also bought a 2004 Kenmore Elite Refrigerator. In the last 4 months it's been down 3 times. The first time the top part went dead. It was the compressor they cleaned it and in 2 weeks it went dead again and the compressor had to be replaced. Needless to say, every time you call the tech is not available until 7-10 days. Two months after it went all dead. Two weeks after I called, the tech repaired a copper line and filled the gas. That was on June21. Today it went dead again and the tech is avaliable next week.

Sears service contract doesn't solve any problems. They won't replace the unit, won't pay for a rental until the tech comes and they won't give an appointment before next week!!!!

When you call the response is like a script. It is not a conversation, it doesn't matter what you say, the response is the same as if the person was reading the text.

Lesson- I WILL NEVER BUY FORM SEARS AGAIN.

8a0c5c98, 2008-07-16, 03:44PM CDT

I purchased a 2100.00 Kenmore Elite Three Door, in August of 2007. I May of 2008 it began with one of my daughters saying the Popsicles were soft, my first thought was someone left the freezer door open,, that night it began making noise like something was in the fan. I felt around and found that the fan that blows cold air from the freezer to the ice maker was making the noise.

I called Sears, it took seven days for someone to come out. I put up with this noise on and on for a week and the top was getting warmer and the freezer was still freezing. The service man came out and said I needed a freezer fan and a control module (the brain of the fridge). When they arrive I was to call and they would schedule someone to come out.

I did this, the parts arrived in four days and it took another two weeks for the repairman. He came out, looked at it said there was nothing wrong with the box, just ice build up in the fan, He said to save the parts and it would be fine and left.

A week and a half later it started again, I called 10 days later a repairman came out. He said it was a problem at the factory, the sensors for the fridge and freezer are installed but are left in the insulation, on the top of both boxes, inside on the ceiling of the boxes, is a vent like part if you remove them, reach up in the insulation you can pull the sensors into the box where they should be. Otherwise the brain calls for more cold and it runs too long and creates ice in the fans where there is moisture, so he did this.

Two week later it did it again,he was here today and replaced both fans and the Control Module (The Brain). It stills seems like it is taking forever for it to come down to temperature.

It still reads "Error FF" in the window, he said it will till the Fresh Food Box (Refrigerator) is cool enough.

So far I have lost 5 days of work, not to mention the food that has gone bad.

Well its been two days and the fridge is only down to 50 degrees, the freezer is freezing and the Ice Maker is working. I just called Sears for the sixth time.

b5ffc8a4, 2008-08-18, 09:33PM CDT

Greetings:

Sorry to hear "WE" are all having trouble with our refrigerators! I too had trouble with my frig and I only had it for 2 years. The top portions did not work but the freezer worked fine. It was a Friday and of course I had to wait out the w/e to get it fixed or so I thought.

When I called Sears to complain they said they would not be able to send someone out for another week. Minimum $200 charge not to include any parts. I told them to take a hike and that is putting it politely.

I did a Google search and found a "manufacture recall" on some of the Elite models. Look to see if your model applies to the recall. I am certain there will be a class-action law suit concerning the Elite models. Of course mine was not included in the recall. You can find your model number on the inside door panel or inside wall of the frig.

I did a basic crash course on how the frig works. Did another Google search and contacted someone who had the same problem as mine. The woman was kind enough to describe what part they replaced. I thumbed through the phone book for a local frig repair service, called them and asked where did they buy their parts from. I then downloaded a parts diagram from the Kenmore (Sears/KEN-NO-MORE) website. You will need it later if you need to replace any parts.

Here's where it gets fun...I was so ticked off, I saved what food I could and threw the rest in the trash. I had nothing to loose, everything to gain. If I couldn't fix it myself, I could always call a service company but I REFUSE to call SEARS!

I then looked in the top part of the frig (not freezer) since this is where my problem was. BOTTOM FREEZER WORKED FINE BUT THE TOP FRIG DID NOT. First, I checked to see if the dampers (louvers) opened and closed as I adjusted the thermostat (the keypad where you adjust the numbers). The damper is at eye level in the back of the frig, it did open and close, so they worked. If yours doesn't open and close then that could be one of your problems.

Then I opened the freezer and pulled off a plastic panel located at the back of the freezer, (it's ok if it breaks, can buy one for less than $10 bucks) low-and-behold the motor fan was not turning, I taped it with a wooded spoon and sure enough it started to turn. This was the problem.

When the fan is turning, it is suppose to blow cold freezer air into the top part of the frig to keep it cool. The damper in the top part of the frig opens and closes, depending on your thermostat setting to let the cold freezer air into the top part of the frig. Since only the top part of the frig didn't cool I knew this had to be the problem.

Yes, girl/boy-friend, I unplugged the frig. I removed the plastic cover, then I unscrewed the motor screws, unplugged the motor connector (taking note on how it was connected) and called the local frig parts store with the "make", "model" and the "part" numbers I needed (got the part-number from the diagram I downloaded from KEN-NO-MORE's website). It cost me less than $50 bucks! Of course I didn't include my time...! But I sure as hell learned a lot!

Saturday evening my frig was up and running and has been running since.

So if I can be of any help please feel free to contact me! You can do anything, all you have to do is try.

Hope it's not too late!

"I am determined" so should you! Let's get her done!

Doris

5cf984d3, 2009-01-14, 08:53AM CST

Consider yourself lucky. 28 days after my purchase of one. A wire shorted out near the compressor, caught the unit on fire, burned down my house and killed my dogs. Found out that Kenmore doesn't even make anything anymore. The unit is actualy a rebranded LG.

04a5967c, 2009-02-12, 01:32AM CST

I too bought a trio at sears and the refrigerator stopped cooling. I read the comment about the fan in the rear of the freezer compartment stopping and with two 1/4 inch screwdrivers poked next to the retainer clips on either side and one smaller clip on bottom was able to remove the fan cover without breakage! Low and behold the fan was indeed not turning! I turn the fan with my finger and it started to move. Hurrah! I'm going to cancel my appt with the sears repairman who couldn't make it for 5 days, THANKS FOR small wonders and order a new fan. 5 minutes is all it took for all this. Thanks fo the person bold enough to figure this out!!!

3bdeff19, 2009-02-20, 04:19PM CST

I had a completely different experience in large part because of this (and similar) posting. But before I get into that, I've got to say that I'm completely satisfied with Trio which I bought in 2003 and have no problem with until last night.

It was a Thursday night. I reached for my after work reward and I noticed that my beer wasn't as cold as it should be. The fridge was cool, but not cold, getting warmer. On Friday morning I went on-line to Sears support and was able to get a repair scheduled for later in the afternoon. But at the appointed hour I got a call saying the repairman was stuck on another job. I was able to reschedule for Monday morning.

But a weekend without a cold one can lead to desperate action. Seeing that others had a similar symptom I followed the easy instructions to check the upwardly mobile fan and sure enough it was motionless. A gentle nudge and it's back in service!

The internet is a wonderful thing!

But just to be safe (with only a hint of revenge) I won't cancel my Monday appointment until sometime between 8am-12noon.

21978d97, 2009-07-23, 09:18AM CDT

I am in the exact same shoes now and feel 100% on this response. I also will never buy from Sears!!!!!!!!!!!!

04de9c8d, 2009-09-01, 06:28PM CDT

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator almost 3years ago. It is model # 795.77563600 and cost approximately $2300. It worked fine until about one year ago. It stopped running and gave the error message ER FF. The manual was no help but after researching on the internet I found that the FF was for freezer fan. The problem was that ise build up had caused the freezer fan to stop turning. This had happened to a number of people and the fix was to use a hair dryer to defrost the back of the fridge. I have had to do this a total of three times since May of this year...this is annoying and obviously a design error on LG's part (this model is made for Sears by LG). Although this has been annoying and inconvenient I have lived with it.

Then a few weeks ago I received a letter witha check for $3.55 from LG explaining that the energy usage of the fridge had been misrepresented and that thia was a check to cover the average cost of the difference between the reported energy use and what it actually uses. They will schedule a modification to correct the energy usage and will send yearly checks as well. I have yet to receive anyhting about when the modification will take place. I am a reasonable person and so I accepted this problem also. I have not cashed th check yet as I am a little wary of doing so because when you do you are releasing LG and Sears from any other claims to which the payment relates. I was thinking about it but then todaysomehitng else happens.

I opened my fridge and could smell a burning plastic smell. After a little investigation I discovered that the lights are now remaining on in the interior of the fridge. they had gottne so hot that the plastic surrounding the light casing had begun to melt, not to mention that my fridge was running at full capacity continually to combat the extra heat that was being produced inside the fridge. I once again turned to the internet and have discovered that this is an ongoing problem with many LG and Kenmore Elite fridges. I am not alone, in fact many unhappy and angry consumers such as myself have posted about this. This also seems to have been a problem for LG as they actually had a recall for fridges withe the same problem back in 2005.

So I call Sears...they of course are very sorry and will be happy to send someone out to my home to repair it for $75 plus the cost of parts and labor or if I buy a one year warranty for $261....neither of which are acceptable for an obvious manufacturer defect. I then call LG since the modrators on these boards have pointed out that Sears may sell th item but LG makes it so they should be the ones who provide the resolution to the problem. Well big surprise LG says it should be covered by Sears. In the letter with the above mentioned check from LG they state that the expected useful life of their product (ie. the fridge they produced) should be about 14 years. Hmmm...this is far from the 3 years I am getting.

03e07ee8, 2009-09-22, 11:00PM CDT

First and foremost I would like to thank you for finding the issure with the always nagging ERR FF! I took my back panel off and a huge chunk of ice came out of the fan with a piece of the insulation tape stuck to it(where was that ice when my milk was so warm!) im pretty sure fan is toast from trying the old unplug plug in method....every ince turns into a mile. How dare these online service people benefit from an obvious manufac error!!!

4722c790, 2009-09-28, 08:06PM CDT

Only by grace of God did we avoid a fire because of this refrigerator. It is the light refusing to turn off and overheating. It took a few days to get rid of the burning smell. The cover from the light melted and is useless. It finally had begun heating the freezer area.

86ed40da, 2009-10-09, 10:34AM CDT

My story is similar to everyone who has written in. My Elite Trio was bought in August 2003. The first problem began in 2005, not cooling well and freezing over. Ok I did what the tech said, not over pack, and keep temps at level 4 in both areas. Same problem occurred in 2006. Then in 2008 the compressor broke. In 2009 the evaporator and ice maker broke. From this I lost thousands of dollars with no compensation given.

All this time I have had AHS Warranty on my home. 03-04 Sept my fridge stopped working altogether, losing food. Technical appts have been delayed weeks apart, forcing me to buy a mini fridge for basic foods. Today (O9 Oct) over 4 weeks Sears says it can't fix it. I am waiting adjudication from AHS, and I doubt food loss compensation will be covered by either company. I would like to have a Class Action suit be brought againt both companies for emotional distress (I have medical conditions), recover service call costs, and food loss. In the middle of all this, we have had a FEMA flood disaster. Thinking the fridge had been fixed, I would go and buy food, only for it to be lost. news! AHS is offering me a Whirlpool, french door equivalent. I would rather have a "cash out" to research the brand and style I want, and it won't be a bottom freezer, because according to the techs. they are hard to repair

18ae33ea, 2009-10-10, 11:31AM CDT

Respected sir/madam,

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator almost 3years ago. It is model # 795.77563600 and cost approximately $2300. It worked fine until about now. It stopped running and gave the error message ER FF. The manual was no help but after researching on the internet I found that the FF was for freezer fan. The problem was that ise build up had caused the freezer fan to stop turning. This had happened to a number of people and the fix was to use a hair dryer to defrost the back of the fridge. I opened my fridge and could smell a burning plastic smell. After a little investigation I discovered that the lights are now remaining on in the interior of the fridge. they had gottne so hot that the plastic surrounding the light casing had begun to melt, not to mention that my fridge was running at full capacity continually to combat the extra heat that was being produced inside the fridge. So I called Sears...they of course are very sorry and will be happy to send someone out to my home to repair it for $75 plus the cost of parts and labor or if I buy a one year warranty for $261...neither of which are acceptable for an obvious manufacturer defect. I saw talk on one or two websites about a possible class action lawsuit of which I would be happy to join at this point. These fridges are obviously covered in design flaws and even downright dangerous as some have cause small fires due to the light problem. What does Sears and LG intend to do about this??? I look forward to an answer as I continue to search the internet, make calls and write e-mails about this issue until I get some resolution.

78ecf735, 2009-11-12, 02:08PM CST

I had the same light problem. I had Sears repairman look at it yesterday. Parts are on order and repairman will return next week to install - ALL AT NO CHARGE!!!!

Call Sears Product Safety department at 800-995-2139. They were very cordial and got me the help I needed. This was the only department that helped me after numerous calls to everyone I could imagine. The problems are two-fold. First problem is in the circuit board with not recognizing that the doors are closed and turning off the lights. The second problem is that the thermostat was not installed in the light housing - which should turn the lights off before everything is hot and melted. Both parts are being replaced and I was told they will cover refrigerators up to 3 years from date of purchase. Good luck!

2606c54a, 2010-01-05, 01:59PM CST

I just got my new Kenmore Elite trio yesterday, 1/2010. There has been an upgrade so the problem with the lights staying on all night won't happen. Two improvements: if the door stays open for more than 7 minutes the lights turn off. Also, there is a heat sensor by the lights, if they get too hot they turn off, and won't turn on again until the door has been closed for about 10 minutes. I learned all this while loading the fridge with groceries. Also, I think the icemaker has been improved as well, the box is larger and I think the ice won't miss the box. I hope this new fridge will have a long happy life!

1447971c, 2010-09-20, 10:25PM CDT

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Trio (model: 795.77573600) January 2008. In September 2009 I rec'd the letter from LG about the Energy Rating and the modification. I registered for the modification and have had the work done. On July 24 2010, we woke to a loud thumping noise coming from the Ice Maker. In addition, all of the lights on the control panel were flashing. We called Sears and a Technician arrived on July 27th. The Technician pulled the refrigerator out and said "Oh, you've had the modification done. All of my service calls for the Trios have had the modification done to them." He proceeded to remove the cover to the "Mother Board" and found that I had had a small electrical fire. He got on the phone and placed an emergency order for replacement parts. My replacement parts arrived on August 30th (fortunatly, the refrigerator continues to work). A service tech came to install the new parts and found that the wrong ones were shipped. Another emergency order was placed. On September 18, 2010 the service tech installed the new parts and we had another small electrical fire. My refrigerator that cost $2,900 has been deamed un-repairable and Sears wants to give me a $500 credit towards a new refrigerator... I will update when I have a final resolution.

74ace7dd, 2010-10-20, 02:58PM CDT

In August 2006, I purchased a Kenmore Trio model 795.77319600. After only four years, it stopped cooling. The Sears service tech said there was a coolant leak inside the case and the repair cost was more than a new refrigerator. The cause, according to him, was the use of cheap materials during manufacture, steel coils instead of copper, and that Sears knew about this common problem. I have written to Sears corporate office and received no response. I will never buy another Sears appliance.

9844ad92, 2010-10-21, 08:28AM CDT

I bought the Kenmore elite Fridge in Oct 2006. In 2009 (out of warranty), we experienced the Lights burning the sockets to a crispy brown along with the plastic cover and even the inside top of the Fridge. This happened again twice in the last month (Sept 2010). I called Sears support several times and was bounced around thru several departments. I let each of the reps have an earful but they refused to take responsibility and send a tech to perform a courtesy check for this serious problem. I finally set up and service appointment which I was going to dispute with the tech and thru my credit card if they had refused to charge me. When the tech came he said that this is a common problem and it will be fixed for free. They are sending the parts to my home and I will have a follow up install visit. So the techs know this is a serious product defect but customer service refuses to acknowledge it.

ba4855eb, 2010-11-25, 05:58PM CST

HA! I bought my $2000 Kenmore Elite side by side last Oct 2009...Icecream started freezing so hard (o degrees)I couldn't even cut it with a huge knife.

Next, frost on everything in freezer.

Now upper refrig. is warm,54 degrees I've had to store everything in the 2 bottom drawers which is 33 degrees.

I can't call them because I don't have money for a service call much less a NEW part. My warranty ran out Oct. 19 - a month ago. Happy Thanksgiving

6e661fae, 2012-09-18, 09:11PM CDT

I purchased all kenmore elite appliancing totally in excess of $7000. initially in 2004. So far, my dishwasher's main board burt out within the 3 year extended wanranty so thank goodness it was covered. The most recent problems include a broken valve in my kenmore elite trio which would cost in excess of three hundred dollars for parts and labor, the exhaust fan in my elite microwave now has a horrible noise along with faulty hood lights which i have yet to learn the cost of repair because the repair man never showed within the scheduled time frame.

I am appauled at the lack of quality control and longevity of these appliances! I had the opportunity to look at all the repair requests for my refrigerator and they are extensive. These problems are reported to the repair service associates and they are inidated with repair request. The trio I understand is manufactured by LG so the problems should follow this manufacturere as well. I would highly reccommend purchasing your appliances through another manufacturere.