Overstock.com sucks

Posted on Thursday, March 9th, 2006 at 12:00am CST by 7848fb69

Company: Overstock.com sucks

Overstock.com sucks

March 8, 2006

I have been a long time customer of overstock, spent quite a lot of money with them and up until now I've never had any serious problems with them. First off, never, ever, ever, buy into their "club O". This is a scam. You pay them in order to get reduced prices but once you get access, you will find that many of the "reduced" prices are minimal. Oh and hey, you get $1.00 shipping all the time. Oh big deal. 9 times out of 10 you get free shipping not being an O member or at worst it is $2.95 but even club O seems to exclude those "hard to ship" items and you get whammed anyway. Here is the stinker about Club O: Example: You find item ABC that is priced wonderfully for Club O members only at $150.00. If you are not a club O member, it will cost you $155.00 so hey you save an additional $5.00 and you think wow great. Then you do an internet search on "overstock coupon codes" just checking to see if there are any good coupons I could apply. Hey, I see one! $15.00 of $150.00 or more and you think, wow great, that's a great deal. I won't get my $5.00 club O reduction but instead I'll get $15.00 off the original $150.00 and come out better in the long run. Wrong. How is this for a scam:

You go to the site, you put ITEM ABC into your cart. The cart shows $150.00 plus shipping, then you apply the coupon code. Wow, it applies and saves you $15.00 more dollars, now your cart is $135.00 plus shipping! Yippee! Right? Wrong. You enter your credit card info, with each passing page the final price of the item does not change from $135.00, the discount is continually shown. Now, they have your credit card info. You mouse to that complete order button and wham, this is where it all goes straight to hell. The confirmation order page shows that you were NOT charged $135.00 plus shipping but you were actually charged $150.00 plus shipping. They wait until they have your credit card info and then once the order is placed, they increase the amount. Personally, I don't see how this is legal but I'm not an attorney cuz if I was I would be too busy suing these bunch of thieves to write this! Then, you get mad and call their "customer service", that's what they call it, I call it, Overstock-how-to-take-you-to-the-cleaners service. The "friendly" person on the other end of the phone argues with you over and over and over again about the applied coupon and that you can't do that if you are a club O member. And I try to explain to the little girl or boy that it doesn't make sense to join a club in which you pay to get better prices than the general public when in fact the general public can avoid paying the club fee and get better prices simply by using a coupon. The little rep doesn't understand this concept. I explain to the little rep that it is listed in their policies for Club O members on THEIR site that the club O member is to always get the better price, either the coupon is to be applied or the club O discount, whichever results in the greater discount. Are you with me here? It's a simple concept. This little rep asks me where I found that information on what page because she doesn't believe this is their policy. I ask for a supervisor who upon my long and detailed explanation agrees with me and acknowledges the overstock policy but does NOT credit my card the difference. Instead I am given a credit for a future purchase. And the whole thing starts all over again next time you order something. Do I hear Class Action lawsuit????? Next problem is with their returns. If you are reading this and you need to return something, let me inform you, that you are totally screwed. You have been had. Here's the deal. My husband ordered a Nordicware fry pan set, really nice and cost alittle over $150.00. I anxiously await the arrival of this set because my current set is SHOT and I need a new one asap. Normally, in the past I had received my items within a couple of days, day 6 (very disappointing on the ship time), a box shows up on my porch. I exclaim with much glee, "Yippee!!!!" as I excitedly open the box like a kid at Xmas. I could almost taste how bad I wanted this set. Do my eyes deceive me? Can this really be? It is not my long awaited Nordicware fry pan and griddle set. It is some strange looking black non stick very large pan and a metal stock pot with a couple of cooking tools thrown in the bottom of the box. Packing material, oh you silly fool, they did not put any in the box so the items in the VERY large box floated around and beat the tar out of each other before my very disappointed eyes got to see that I had been shipped the incorrect piece of junk. Now, these items have never seen nor can they comprehend the word quality. Total crap not to mention the totally wrong item. Personally, if it had been the right item, I would have been pretty mad at the inferior quality. Anyway, I get on the phone, little miss hopeful not worried in the least feeling confident that Overstock would take the items back and quickly resolve my issues and get me the correct merchandise. I must have been temporarily insane. Not only did they refuse to talk to me because my husbands name was on the order, they informed me that although this is their fault, this is now basically my problem and my expense to resolve. Oh and BTW, the box did not include a shipping invoice or anything on paper for that matter. Well when we were finally able to talk to a CS rep, we were informed that if we wanted the correct set, this junk they sent would have to be returned first by me DRIVING it to one of their preferred locations (list would be mailed to me)and then after they are done processing, they would see about sending me the correct items provided they still had them. Here is the timeline they gave me to complete this process: Snail mail return label to me: 1 week

I must drive to preferred location

to drop off: 1-2 days

They receive wrong item: 1 week

They process wrong item: 1+ week

They generate correct item to me

if they still have it: God only knows how long

It comes via mail: 6 days minimum So to get the correct item, it will take me an additional almost 5 weeks from today PROVIDED they don't screw me over like they have some of the others out here that have posted complaints. I tell CS rep this is unacceptable, what are they trying to hold on to my $150.00 as long as possible so they can make some $$$ in interest? C'mon!!!! CS rep tells me, you want refund? So I decide, I'm done with Overstock, I'll get a refund and shop elsewhere from now on. Guess what, the refund is going to take just about as long provided I "qualify". QUALIFY!!!! What the hell does that mean? I order and pay for items, the brainless twits send me $50.00 worth of other junk instead, and I have to "qualify" to get a refund????? So here's the deal, Overstock has my $150.00, I have their $50.00 worth of trash and am awaiting my snail mail return form so I can go drive around to their "preferred locations" to drop off their piece of crap stuff and use my GAS to do it along with my time which I will never get reimbursed for so they can decide if I "qualify" for a refund while they now have both the original merchandise, the junk I send back and my $150.00. So this is how they can afford all those commercials. Damn good scam boys! I bet their mommas are proud of them! Hmmmmm, think I will just call the bank in the morning, cancel the charge (thank God for cancels) and return their crap to them. Then we are about even, I'm out a little time and gas. My face, fingers and mouse will never dawn their webdoor again. I'll stick with the companies that I know are trustworthy. Would love to see a criminal history on these guys...can only imagine. Lilli

Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_52405#

bef814aa, 2007-11-26, 08:58AM CST

I also hate overstock.com. I ordered a blackberry with one day shipping (which I was assured I would receive on the 21st and it didn't). Now that I finally do have it the USB cord for the computer connection is broken, the charger is missing a piece and the battery is completely dead.

8e6c1db6, 2008-03-07, 11:57AM CST

They are a ripoff!! Copy and paste almost everything they sell in google and you will find it almost everywhere for much cheaper. They are a total scam!

a8f0e3c8, 2008-03-10, 12:07PM CDT

Consumers need to know the truth about Overstock.com and it's return policy. Overstock deducted $46 from my refund for a $100 dress that didn't fit. Overstock's reason for the deduction was that the warehouse workers found a hair on the dress. A hair?!! I suppose a piece of my hair might have fallen on the dress during the 5 minutes between when I opened the package, tried on the dress, and put the dress back in the package to be returned. This is the broadest possible interpretation of the word "used." If Overstock is going to split hairs like this(no pun intended), then they need to give their consumers notice.

27b78573, 2008-04-25, 04:36PM CDT

I know what you mean. they sent me a swimming suit in the wrong size. i ordered a large and they sent a medium. they refused to exchange or give me money back. this is the biggest bull shit site i've ever seen. I'd love to get a lawyer and take them to small claims court.

fd1b9459, 2008-06-01, 07:19PM CDT

Agree! Overstock sucks. There is no deal there. Even there is deal, they will cancel your order at will. Never deal with such company without credit!

c90616e2, 2008-07-04, 02:50PM CDT

I ordered a projector to use in my classroom. I should have known that even at a refurbushed price $298 was too little to pay. Sure enough, it was a pice of crap--the lumens on the bulb weren't enough to light a keyhole-- totally unacceptable. Twice I filled out the return request with the fact that the projector was not appropriate for classroom use. Needless to say, on a teacher's salery I can't afford to pay for ineffective equipment. The promised shipping label never showed up in my email; I used the on-line customer rep to try and resolve the issue. Much to my surprise, the rep said that he could not find my email address (so of course they hadn't sent the promised label and instructions); HAH! they can find my email when they want to offer stuff! After a long, involved set of questions which I kept typing--WHY is this so DIFFICULT; I finally got the rep's statement that the return label would be sent. I don't have much hope that this will be resolved to my satisfaction based on the experiences of other posters on this site. Learned my lesson!

b3ca4bcb, 2008-09-16, 03:29PM CDT

I ordered two identical products, each priced at $149, reduced from "regular" price of $249, if i recall correctly (can't find out for sure as the item has been pulled from site).

Order date was 8/17, and delivery was given "12-22 days" as it is oversized item. Understandable. On 9/12, I realize it's almost a month, so put in a call to Overstock customer service. Mind you, I have already checked the UPS tracking number, which has informed me "billing info rec'd," which, according to the customer service rep means it has been "sent to the dock" (which I take to mean THE ITEM HAS BEEN SENT TO THE DOCK!!)...the rep gives me no info of any worth, except to say that "it looks like we are out of stock on that item"..."But you've already fulfilled the order according to the email you sent me," I protest. (free advice: anytime you reply to a CS rep with a sentence beginning with "But...", YOU ARE SCREWED!)

The rep says he will "initiate a trace" which will take 4-5 days. He will call me next week to let me know if the shipment has been found,(or, he says he can "just issue a refund right now,") and after he says that, I reply, "can you please send an email with the info--you have my email address, right?" He replies, "anything else I can help you with today?" So I repeat, "just that I prefer to get notification by email, rather than trying to be available for a phone call, if you can do that?" His response: "ok then you have a nice day, and thank you for shopping with Overstock.com." I just hang up. Where do they get these people? I'd rather speak to someone in India, honestly, as they can READ in India, and are much more polite, and CARE whether they do their job right, and whether they will have a job next week.

OK here's the punchline for my tale of woe: I found the EXACT item on their website, with a stock number that was one digit different. "Out of stock," my eye. The item description and photo are identical. Oh, except for one thing, the PRICE! Fifty dollars more!! So, my $149 items (regular $249) are now $199 (regular $399)! Which I also now realize their MSRP is really just B.S. they pulled out of thin air. I bought my original ones of these at Costco for $75 bucks, and I would go back and buy them there again, except they are seasonal outdoor items, and not available so late in the season.

It really hurts to make the decision, but I won't be shopping at Overstock.com ever again, UNLESS i can find satisfaction with the call I am about to make to Customer Service (yes, as a matter of fact, I AM crazy!)

Oh, yeah, when I went back to "check my order" a moment ago, it had been cancelled without a word to me about it! No email, no phone call.

My new rule for living: before ordering anything online, always Google: "[store name] sucks!" which is how I found this forum.

Keep Calm, Carry On...

ebc825a4, 2008-12-01, 04:32PM CST

I live in the Pacific North West and heard an Overstock.com advert on the radio so I checked out the site. What a bunch of over priced junk! Reading all these posts, it is apparent no one actually compared prices on this rubbish. Folding sports chairs given away for free by Sports Illustrated are $75 per! Helmet clocks worth $8.99 at dollar stores go for $40 per. So much crap at such a high price.

31d9661b, 2008-12-02, 11:25AM CST

I had the EXACT SAME THING happen to me! I bought a $160 coat and received a partial refund for $76 because of some alleged hair that made the coat unsellable. B.S. I went round and round with customer service, the most I got was $35 more and the offer of a $15 in store credit. I told them I'd take the partial refund, but to keep the credit. I'll never shop there again and I will tell everyone I know about my crappy experience with Overstock, a truly terrible company.

39e757ea, 2008-12-03, 09:32PM CST

Happened to me too! I ordered a pet carrier. When i opened the box i immediately knew it would not fit my pet, i taped it up and sent it back.

Here is the letter i got from Overstock.

Hello Judith,

We received your return for the PetGear I-GO2 Weekender Pet Carrier (Up to 8 Pounds). A credit in the amount of $36.37 was issued on 12/03/2008. This credit will post to your account according to the time frame established by your financial institution.

A breakdown of your refund is shown below:

Item price: $89.99

Refund Deductions:

Return Label Cost: -$8.62

Not Restockable: Other Damage: -$45.00

Total Refund Issued: $36.37

Since you used a pre-paid return shipping label to return the item, the cost of the label has been withheld from your refund.

A Not Restockable: Other Damage has been deducted from your refund because Not Restockable: Other Damage.

For questions regarding our return policy or for additional assistance, please click here to visit our online Help Center.

Thank you for shopping with Overstock.com.

Sincerely,

Customer Care Returns

Overstock.com

Sincerely?????? They kept $45.00 for what? i called and they said the item was damaged in mail. How could a soft sided bag get damaged when it was in a box, and should insurance on the box not have covered it? They agreed to give me back a store credit for the $45.00. BUT i am edgy that the nightmare is not over, because i ordered a second carrier that was too small also. i just returned it yesterday. Bet they find a hair on it!

Terrible!

fba4a7db, 2008-12-19, 08:01PM CST

Overstock.com's "price match" is a joke I saw an item listed on newegg.com for less I've had issues with newegg in the past so I thought I'd see if overstock's pricematch really worked. The answer is NO.

Unless you buy something at their listed price they will not match prices. Even if you bought something an then asked for a match they will only give you store credit. Here's what the live chat person had to say.

Chat InformationWelcome to Overstock.com Live Chat, you will be joined with a chat representative as quickly as possible.

Chat InformationWelcome to Overstock.com Customer Service, you are now chatting with Jackson.

Jackson: Thanks for visiting Overstock.com, this is Jackson, how can I help you?

you: I submitted a price match request last friday and I have not gotten a responce in a weeks time

Jackson: I'll be glad to check and help you with that.

Jackson: Can I've the order number please?

you: I have not ordered the item yet

Jackson: Okay, thank you for the information.

Jackson: Let me tell you that we do have Online Best Price Match on our site.

Jackson: With the Overstock.com Online Best Price Match youll know that you are receiving the best online deals available on thousands of quality products.

Jackson: If you happen to find a better online price out there, and meet the qualifications listed below, we will issue you the difference in price with up to $500 in-store credit toward future purchases at Overstock.com.

Jackson: To Satisfy the Online Best Price Match:

Jackson: The product must be the exact same make, model, color and size as the item listed at Overstock.com

Jackson: The online merchant offering the lower price must have the item currently available for purchase

Jackson: The base price of the items must be a difference of at least $5.00.

Jackson: Also, to qualify for Online Best Price Match first we request you to place order with us.

Jackson: Once you place order with us I request you to submit Online Best Price Match form so that you will be contacted within 2-4 business days via email.

Jackson: Click here to know more about Online Best Price Match:

Jackson: Did you get the link?

you: yes I got the link and no where does it say that I have to place the order to qualify. so you don't actually match the price of a competitor? You will only sell the product at your listed price and then give me a store credit for the difference

Jackson: Please note that once you submit the Online Best Price Match request form, our specialized representative will check the form.

Jackson: If your request qualifies for Online Best Price Match than only the difference amount will be issued in the form of in-store credit.

Jackson: Shall I help you in placing an order today?

you: so you do will not match a competitors price unless I buy it from you at a higher price first

Jackson: You may submit the request before placing order, however subject to approval.

Jackson: If approved you must place order to the get difference amount and the difference amount will be issued in the form of in-store credit.

you: ok I think I understand. You don't really match lower prices. I'll spend my money else where. If I can buy a product for $25 on c competitors site why would I spend $40 on overstock so I can get a $15 credit. I'd rather keep my $15

Jackson: I'm really sorry to hear that.

Jackson: I do understand your concern you concern, however, upon approval of Online Best Price Match request than only the difference amount will be issued in the fom of in-store credit.

So they don't really match prices. They just want you to spend more on their site and then stick you with a store credit

deea5cb5, 2008-12-19, 08:02PM CST

Jackson: I'll be glad to check and help you with that.

Jackson: Can I've the order number please?

you: I have not ordered the item yet

Jackson: Okay, thank you for the information.

Jackson: Let me tell you that we do have Online Best Price Match on our site.

Jackson: With the Overstock.com Online Best Price Match you??ll know that you are receiving the best online deals available on thousands of quality products.

Jackson: To Satisfy the Online Best Price Match:

Jackson: The base price of the items must be a difference of at least $5.00.

Jackson: Click here to know more about Online Best Price Match:

Jackson: Did you get the link?

Jackson: Shall I help you in placing an order today?

Jackson: I'm really sorry to hear that.

011f1e58, 2009-01-25, 09:43AM CST

I bought an alarm clock for a Christmas gift and the alarm was so quiet that it could not wake anyone. I sent it back and they charged me $7 for postage and handling and another $15 because they said it is defective and cannot be resold. They are correct about it being defective, but that's the way it was when I bought it and I got ripped off. This company will not be selling me anything in the future and I will tell everyone I know, and then some, not to deal with them.

5cbdf841, 2009-09-24, 11:10PM CDT

twice now, with shoes only, I put in my size and assume that clicking on the size and it's in the queue it should transfer to your cart? No, what goes over is the size that's in the box when you get to the page in the first place. I got burned twice by this, the first time I assumed it was my error. But, after a second time when I checked my order confirmation, it showed a 10 instead of a 7.5. I went back in, clicked the same shoe and sure enough when you get to the page to pay, it's changed the size to what ever was in the box when you pull up the original page. It's like they have too much of a size so they only want to send you what they have an abundance of. I will NEVER use this site again for anything, hooray Zappos!

9ba18d26, 2009-12-24, 07:24PM CST

I agree. I got shipped the WRONG order TWICE as i ordered for Chraistmas. I placed an order for a Kodak camera that was NEW and paid full price for a NEW item but was sent a FACTORY RECONDITIONED at full price. They told me to return it after I received return label, then they would resend the NEW one that they made the mistake on. I told them this was for a christmas paresent and it HAD to get here by Christmas, so they sent out another one that DID get here on CHristmas EVE. Opened it and AGAIN THEY SENT OUT A FACTORY RECONDITIONED item!!!!! I am sending both back and NEVER doing business with them again.

76b26444, 2010-01-06, 04:46PM CST

I've been an overstock.com customer for a very long time. Any company you shop with can have mistakes happen. We're all human. Especially when shopping on a liquidation site. If you don't like it then go pay full price elsewhere. Club O is a great deal if you actually have money and can afford to shop often. You save 5% off every order. And get free shipping. Last year I saved over $7,000 simply because of club o. And Overstocks return policy is very simple as long as you know how to read. Overstock.com isn't #2 best customer service by being scam artists I know that for a fact. Have a nice day. :-)

7c09b4fe, 2010-03-09, 01:52PM CST

That is exactly what just happened to me as well!! I just received this email from them;

Hello,

We received your return for the Jumbo 200 Thread Count Overfilled Feather Pillows (Pack of 4). A credit in the amount of $2.84 was issued on 03/09/2010. This credit will post to your account according to the time frame established by your financial institution.

A breakdown of your refund is shown below:

Item price: $24.99

Refund Deductions:

Original Discount: -$2.50

Return Label Cost: -$8.40

Not Restockable: Hair: -$11.25

Total Refund Issued: $2.84

Thank you for shopping with Overstock.com.

Sincerely,

Customer Care Returns

Overstock.com

I was like, wow...I don't know what to say. This is totally a BS!! All I did was just take the pillows out from the plastic bag then smell it, they were really smelly so I gave them one day hoping that the odor will be gone, then the next day they smelled really bad still so I just put them back in the plastic bag, packed in the box then returned them!! OK, maybe the pillows collected a "hair" while they were outside the plastic bag, but so what!? I wouldn't have wasted my time to re-pack and return the pillows if I knew I would get only a $2.84 refund for it! I would've just thrown them away in the bin!! This is just ridiculous.

Also, after I received the pillows, I actually asked about the manufacturer of the pillows as I couldn't find the information anywhere (even on the tags. The tags said "made in China" but that's it. I wanted to know who made them as they smelled like dirty, unwashed duck feathers), they replied to me saying basically "we don't know". Wow, how responsible are they for the products they are selling. They can find a stupid "hair" on the pillows but they can't find the manufacturer of them... BAD BUSINESS!! I used to like shopping at Overstock.com but I wouldn't bother anymore. I just shop at Costco when I want a true bargain.

40ea982a, 2010-04-06, 10:09PM CDT

I cannot BELIEVE how shitty overstock has become. I will never order for those shysters, again! Restocking fee on clothing items that you cannot tell if they will fit or not. Mind you, not all the article of clothing in sealed in a plastic bag, as was the coat i purchased that looked like total crap on - the docked me 7.50 for restocking fee? MORONS - the economy is tight and I suggest that consumers go elsewhere online, like BLUEFLY and the such that do not charge the ridiculous fees for returns!!!