2002 Oldsmobile Alero

Posted on Wednesday, March 29th, 2006 at 12:00am CST by 85bb063f

Company: 2002 Oldsmobile Alero

2002 Oldsmobile Alero

March 28, 2006

Let me start off my saying this....I will never buy another GM probuct as long as I am alive. I will also strongly urge anyone who will listen to NOT buy a GM product, I will also do this till the day I die.

Here's my story:

I purchased a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero, used from a local dealership. I loved my car and was so happy to have it. A couple of months after I bought the car I decided it was time for a roadtrip, I took the car on a 1800+ mile trip, no problems. I loved this car, thought I'd not be buying a car for another 10 years (that's how long I had my toyota - without one problem).

By the summer of 2003 only about 15 months or so into my purchase (and 6 year loan) I began to notice the "Check Engine Soon' and "Security" lights would come on from time to time. They managed to go off when I turned off the car. I called the local dealership and was told by the person the in service deparment that as long as the lights went off it was nothing major. I believed him and continued to drive my car, still without any problems.

And now we come to November 2004, I was out running errands and my car would not start. I continue to try and get the car to start, still nothing. I made noises like it was trying, but no luck. I ended up having the car towed to the dealership. Once it arrived it started just fine. They found that my ignition passlock sensor and ignition switch had failed. All parts were replaced and the car ran fine.

I continued having the "check Engine Soon" and "security" lights come on and off.

Because these lights continued to come on I took the car back to the dealership. At this point they charged me $190 for them to inspect the car. They claim that I had a loose gas cap and that is way I continued to see these lights appear. I paid the $190 against my better judgement and believed that the problem was corrected.

It is now March 2006 and I am still continually back and forth to the dealership for these lights. In the 15 month period (Nov 2004 - Mar 2006), I have been without my car a total of 34 days. All beacause of these 2 lights that continue to appear.

I have contact GM and asked them if buying back the vehicle is an option. The response was "NO". The reason is this; up till this point everything has been covered by my "service agreement" notice it is not a warranty. A warranty would imply that they had to fix it or replace it, an agreement implies that will attempt to fix it. I have not inccurred any out of pocket costs and the only thing I am out is convenience and time.

I tried to explain to the Customer Service person at GM that my time is not the issue I am concernded with. My concern is my general safety and driving this car does not provide that. At this point I am afraid to drive my car at night to run errands, I don't feel comfortable driving more that 15 minutes away from home in case I have to find a ride, I have had to rely on the kindness of strangers to jump start my car in dark parking lots and even had to ask one guy to follow me home (the car would not remain started and I was fearful of being stuck on the freeway). to me this is a bigger issue that continually taking the car in for repairs.

At this point GM and the dealership are not willing to provide any solutions other that to keep looking at my car everytime I have these lights mysteriously come on.

Call me silly but the point in buying a car is to make our lives easier, allow us the safety of getting from point A to point B and back to point A again with confidence.

Up till this point I have been forfunate that I have always been lucky and resourceful enough to get home each time I have had a problem. But what happens the day my luck runs out?

I feel that after 15 months of continually having these 2 lights come on and my car being towed on at least 3 times should warrant the car a "problem". The fact that the car has been in the dealership at least 7 time for the "Check Engine" and "Security" lights, and at least 3 times for faulty motors in my driver and passenger windows (that was a seperate fight to get repaired) that GM should feel some responsibility and at the very least offer some solution other than continuing to look at the car.

They have replaced the ignition lock cylinder twice, the ignition switch and the BCM. All of which are supposed to correct my problem. Still nothing worked. The lastest solution was to install a "co-pilot" which was to record what was happening internally at the time the lights came on. Only problem is that the lights never came one while the "co-pilot" was installed.

So at this point I'm left fighting with GM about the car, and left with no feeling of safety, security or reliabilty when I leave the house each time.

I urge anyone who has had a similar issue to contact me with any solutions or advice that you might have, and please..........DO NOT BUY A GM PRODUCT!!!!!! This includes Oldsmobile, Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Hunner, Saab, Cadillac, Holden, Opel, and Vauxhall.

Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_52962#

519f33b9, 2007-09-21, 10:28AM CDT

i bought a 2004 oldsmobile Alero and it has check engine light on.The mechanic I went to said the same story as your dealer and did the same thing.Closed the gas cap tightly but again the light came on and he replaced the fuel pressure sensor on gas tank (total cost of labor and parts-$200).But now after a week the light came back on today..Don't know what it is..

Anonymous, 2007-09-21, 10:29AM CDT

02439e5f, 2008-01-03, 05:06PM CST

I too have an Oldsmobile Alero that was giving me problems with starting and giving a weird buzzing noise under the dash when the engine would die and only when It was acting up the blinker made it do the same thing. The car was takin to carmax who told me there was nothing wrong they could find so I took it back showed the manager the problem I was having everyday and then they took it to the dealer who said oh its a fuel pump and charged carmax $800 for a Fuel pump. I went to pick it up sat for thirty minutes for them to drive it around to me and they said they could not get it started and heard a buzzing noise under the dash. They trouble shot some more (1 week) and found that it was the ignition switch. I have not had any problems with the engine light coming on or the security light either. The car has had other problems for such low mileage, like they replaced the coils when the car was almost new ( i bought it used and looked up the stuff way later) also somthing about a switch in the dash for the hazards, The problems I have encountered have been an 02 sensor and catalytic converter both of wich cost me some gas mileage and headache trying to get carmax to pay for the O2 sensor and then The car is still covered under the 8year 80000mile exhaust warranty so getting the cat converter replaced was easy. I will probably not buy another GM car either even though my previous two cars were GM, but it seems that the Aleros just had alot of little quirks that caused bigger problems.

1729923f, 2008-05-07, 04:42PM CDT

I have a 2002 Alero that has had similar problems. The ignition passlock sensor and switch has been replaced twice. Every problem I have had has had to do with the ignition system. They have replaced my fuse box because they claimed a leak in the windshield caused corrosion(which I tried to have fixed right after I purchased the car due to wind noise, but that's another story). I have had it towed three times because it wouldn't start, only to arrive at the dealer, have them get in and it crank right up. Most recently (about 6 mos. ago) They replaced the ignition coil and the sensor because they said it failed and couldn't communicate with the key (the car essentially thinks I'm trying to steal it). This cost me about $450 and they even charged me $25 to "re-code" my key to the new box. The ignition coil cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $200. (These were 2 separate incidents about 1 month apart) The car continually has not started on me and the last time I called I was told to "turn the key to the ACC position and let it sit for awhile so it can reset". This is extremely inconvenient when your in a hurry, not to mention embarrassing because people keep coming up to you asking if they can help in public places, but sadly it works. My check engine light has been on since the last time they worked on it and everytime it doesn't start is usually after the security light comes on (and goes off after it cranks again) The car is now paid for and I am about to trade it and will not purchase another Alero, ever.

Try the key thing mentioned above when your stranded. It's only a temporary fix for the problem of course, but at least you don't have to get out of the car. I usually let it sit for about 15 minutes before cranking and it sometimes takes a few tries. I've had it take as long as 45 minutes before so don't give up.

6b586b4e, 2008-05-14, 02:57PM CDT

I have a 2002 oldsmobile alero and I haven't had any problems with it until about a month ago. Two months ago, all the lights were going off on my dash. Service engine soon, abs, air bag light, low trac, security goes on and off, the radio turns on and off every so often. A month ago my car stopped workeing. It wouldn't start. I've had it towed about 4 times to 4 different places. They get it going but only for a day or two. The dealership tells me its my passlock system($450) to fix. The first place got it going for $80. But when all the lights come on, I have to let the car sit in the on position for 20 mintues to try and start it. But that doesn't work, then another $200 later they do the same thing the first place did just to get it going, then 2 days later, again. this time the dealer charges $130 for a $3.00 fuse that apparently was the problem. well that lasted 1 week, to this day, its sitting in front of my house. my only source for an answer now is online. can anyone give me a solution????

2ed071cb, 2008-06-29, 11:27PM CDT

All these reasons are why they no longer make the alero. It was a bad car from the start and will always be until the last one finally breaks. I have had lots of GM products over the last 10 years, and have had very little trouble with them. The problem isnt GM other than they made a junk car, but they stopped making it. Always research a car before you buy it. If you have a Alero i would get rid of it before it breaks. The grand am and grand prix have been awesome cars for GM and continue to be.

d23950a1, 2008-08-31, 11:25AM CDT

If your car wont start, it cranks over, turn off ignition,turn ignition to the on position but dont crank over,and leave in on position for (10)min, turn ignition off and start car. The light are a false signal so ignore.

ca21f5a3, 2009-01-14, 12:03PM CST

I totaly agree 100%. I cant tel you how many times I have gotten stuck at places because my car wont start. I have been stranded, late for work, stuck at work, and have had my car towed multiple times. Every answer you get to try and fix the problem is crap. It may work for a day or a month, but always happens again. All I have to say is NO WONDER THEY DO NOT MAKE ALERO'S-AUTOMOBIL'S ANYMORE. I am at work and have not been able to start my care for a few hours now (gold figure) I should be used to it by now. I am going to trade my car in and thats that.

8c5dce00, 2010-10-26, 12:57PM CDT

I bought my Alero new from a local dealer. It started with the blinkers, not working then working, finally after 5 month of bringing it into the dealer they said there was a problem and replaced the switch. I have had to replace my brakes every 6,000 miles since the car was new. After 2 years of owning the car, the wheel bearings started to go. They have needed to be replaced every year since 2005. So we have the Brakes every other oil change, and the Wheel bearings 1X a year. Then the wiring harness was faulty, The car had 52,000 miles on it. Replaced that, In the last year we have replaced the Breaks, Breaklines, as they corroded, this cost $450.oo, Calipers for the 5th time, wheel bearings for the 6th time, A fuel Pump, the starter, and now the timing chain.The car has 96,000 miles on it and is junk!! It was serviced as the manual said to service, and all is NOT WELL. All I have to say is I have called GM, and of course the car isn't under warranty, anymore, even when it was it was hard to get them to fix the issues. The bottoms of the doors, and the bottom of the front fenders are rusty, and look like crap. When I took it in at 38,000 miles for this problem, they told me it was out of warranty and it would cost me $1600.00 to fix. This did not get fixed, because I was paying to keep the car on the road, with a payment.. I agree, DO NOT BUY A GM PRODUCT.

4cddd10b, 2010-11-11, 04:46PM CST

My fiance has had the same problem with her 3.4liter v6 2002 olds alero. We disabled the security feature, changed the fuel filter, replaced all of the spark plugs and wires and still doesn't like to start after its been running for a while. The actual problem is either a shorted injector or a leaking injector. Gas pours in and it floods that injector and the vehicle if its a v6 will not fire on 3 cylinders. hope this helps anyone with the problem out.

9c707043, 2011-05-25, 07:25PM CDT

My daughter has a 2002 alero with the same not starting problem and I have spent hundreds of dollars in gas just to go get the car started and I found out that if it would not crank the blinkers would not work and made a buzzing noise and I guessed it was the ignition switch,but I am not sure if you think that this could be the problem let me know!

3ebdb010, 2012-01-18, 03:56PM CST

I can't believe that there are other people with the same problem as me! My 2002 Alero ran great for about a year after I bought it (used). Since then its been nothing but a pain in the butt. My mechanic dreads seeing me, he says my car is possessed. I've had the same problem with the security lights, the locks locking and unlocking while driving, constant "clicking" of the signal lights, intermittent inability to control the driver side window, my car stalls without warning while driving (once on a highway @ 110km/hr) and decides when it would like to start.

I have spent thousands of dollars on repairs that have never fixed the problem and were unnecessary in the first place. I never take it outside the city or on the highway.

I have learned that when it wont start its best to turn the key to the on position and wait until you hear the hum of the fuel pump before turning it over. Sometimes I find if I turn off the radio and heat/ac it will start also.

I refuse to pay for anymore repairs and have accepted the alero for what it is. I'm going to drive it until its dead once and for all.

df02c20f, 2012-02-25, 12:54PM CST

The leaving it on for 10mins helped mine. Thank You Poster. I however cannot trust this car anymore and is going to have to go. I got kids and this is Blizzard season after all. For Sale 02 olds Alero with a brand newer 2.4 eco-tech engine 145k on car under 10k on engine. $3000 will do Buy here pay here for $1500 down.

ce7acba9, 2012-03-31, 04:54PM CDT

I own a 2002 Alero and have learned that if you put the parking break up before you turn off the car / when you turn on the car you will be fine. Also, there is a bypass that you can install that will skip over the security light and allow you to turn over the car. Good luck!