Nextel - R.M.S. Collection Service, Nextel Communications Inc.

Posted on Tuesday, March 28th, 2006 at 12:00am CST by c8910570

Company: Nextel

Category: Telecommunications

R.M.S. Collection Service, Nextel Communications Inc.

March 27, 2006

R.M.S. Dunsdemand 340 Interstate N. Pkwy PO Box 723001 Atlanta, GA 31139

RE: Nextel Communications, Inc. Account I had service with Nextel for over 8 years and was happy throughout. When they merged with SPRINT, I opted to change over to the Sprint Service which required the purchase of new equipment. Unfortunatley I had just purchased a new phone weeks earlier. When making the switch, I was told by the sales rep. that Nextel would accept the return of the NEXTEL equipment I just purchased as long as I went with a new contract with SPRINT, which I did. I returned the Motorola i870 phone in the original package as if it were new. I then purchased new SPRINT hardware and was happy with the service (and still am). Now, I receive letters almost every other day from R.M.S. collections saying I owe Nextel over $300.00 for the equipment I never returned !! I have contacted Nextel and RMS and explained the situation and they said it would be taken care of. I still continued to receive the letters, this time saying that I chose to ignore previous notices, FRUSTRATING. So, I sent a certified, return receipt, letter to RMS, explaining the situation all over again. They rec’d my letter, signed for it and low and behold, one week later, another DEMAND letter saying that since I choose to ignore their attempts to collect this debt, they can go after my credit rating… What does it take or what do I have to do to get this nonsense to stop… I have superb credit and feel this is now borderline harassment. Can anyone help with this mess?? Thanks in advance, Chris

James D., 2012-09-11, 10:25PM CDT

I googled fine print and came across an article written in the Washington Post by Elizabeth Warren (she teaches contract law). In it, she states that "contract law is based on the idea that two people can come together and strike a deal, knowing that the courts will wnforce their agreement if something goes wrong." She firmly believes that contract law is the foundation of our free-market economy and critical to personal liberty.

She further states that "Over the past generation, the proliferation of fine print, in everything from car loans to credit card applications to television commercials, has shaken what we value about contracts. Fine print means that one party (think: a big corporation) can lay down the terms of the deal in a way that the other party (think: a customer) is unlikely to figure out. Long after the contract has been signed, the party that inserted all the fine print can do almost anything -- raise prices, cut service, extend the contract-- all because the fine print says so."

She goes on to say that "our current financial crisis began one lousy mortgage at a time--one lousy, incomprehensible, complex mortgage loaded with trip wires and legalese at a time. Many borrowers knew they were engaging in a high-risk game, but millions of others were unaware of what they had agreed to until the foreclosure notices started coming."

She concluded by stating that "Fine print costs everyone else money, too, because it makes products impossible to compare (Just look at four credit card agreements and try identifying the cheapest one.) By decreasing competition, fine print increases prices"

From my experiences with Sprint, AT+T, and credit card companies, they all use the fine print to extract as much cash as they can from the customer. Their lawyers work tirelessly to make that possible. So it is no surprise that they always come out on top. If you make enough noise, and spend hours on the phone wrangling with them, the may grease the squeaky wheel. The old caveat, consumer beware, is truly our best defense.