1-800-Flowers.com - 1-800-Flowers order outsourced to Garden of Eden Hawley / floral delivery

Posted on Friday, June 30th, 2006 at 12:00am CDT by a2ecfe1e

Company: 1-800-Flowers.com

Category: Online Shopping

My family and I are military stationed overseas. Not being stateside for birthdays and other occasions, we thought it would be nice to send flowers to my mother-in-law for her birthday. So on June 10, 2006 I ordered a dozen mixed-color long-stem roses with vase via 1-800-Flowers.com, and being overseas and (at the time) without Internet capabilities, we placed the order by phone via international direct dial rates. I received confirmation of our debit card payment from the company, in which the company also re-confirmed the delivery date of Monday, June 11, 2006. I felt satisfied that my order would be handled with the utmost care and professionalism...However, I could not have been more wrong!

My husband accidentally spilled the beans about the flower delivery to Mom, so she knew to expect them that Monday. But when the flowers didn't arrive and she hadn't heard from 1-800-Flowers.com, she decided to take it upon herself to call. Having contacted the company, she was told that they outsourced the delivery to Garden of Eden Hawley, a florist in Hawley, Pennsylvania. She called the florist in Hawley and was told that her home in Lake Ariel was too far a distance and that she would have to call 1-800-Flowers.com and have them outsource to a different company. Thus began a week-long phone-tag she pursued between 1-800-Flowers.com and Garden of Eden Hawley! Basically, 1-800-Flowers.com insisted they would NOT outsource to a different florist; meanwhile, Garden of Eden Hawley insisted they would not handle the arrangement and delivery. The florist in Hawley went so far as to say to my mother-in-law, "Well, if no one else will handle your arrangement then I guess we'll HAVE TO."

Sometime during this week-long pursuit of her BIRTHDAY PRESENT, my mother-in-law contacted a representative of 1-800-Flowers.com and indicated that she did not appreciate the hassle of having to chase down her gift of a floral arrangement. She asked for a credit on my behalf.

Now, meanwhile, my husband and I were overseas and had not heard hide nor hair from 1-800-Flowers.com other than that one payment confirmation email sent out on June 10, 2006 shortly after I placed the order. When I gave the representative the billing information, that included my international phone number and email address--and I received no phone call, no email, and not even a letter indicating the company had attempted to contact me. Rather, it is now June 29, 2006 and I only today received a letter from 1-800-Flowers.com dated June 15 stating that they were issuing me a "savings pass." Basically, this "savings pass" is a $36.00 credit toward the purchase of another floral arrangement, and it is good for 1 year from the date on the letter. No explanation, no apology...nothing. Just a lame attempt to squeeze another $70-plus dollars out of me for overpriced flowers that apparently don't get delivered without pulling eye-teeth!

So I contacted 1-800-Flowers.com via telephone, again paying those expensive international direct dial rates, and was put on hold twice for 30 minutes apiece by a representative who was at first, only willing to give me the corporate address and fax number to which I may write a complaint. She did tell me I could send a complaint via the corporate website. I told her I was not satisfied, and that I also had no interest in a "savings pass" that would have to be applied towards another order, thus potentially stressing out another recipient. So she said the company could send me a partial credit to my debit card.

I contacted the company also via email. And I am contacting the Better Business Bureau about both 1-800-Flowers.com AND Garden of Eden Hawley.

My goal in contacting Complaints.com is to warn other potential 1-800-Flowers.com customers of problems of this manner. I feel that a company that would accept money to render a service and then does not do its part to ensure that the service it promises is rendered on the payee's behalf, is not worth my time or money. In most cases, that is a breech of contract...verbal, though it may be...for the service (and in this case goods) was in risk of not being delivered. And may I remind the concerned to which this email is addressed, that my mother-in-law only called because she knew to expect flowers...had she not known, I'd say there would have been a 90%-plus chance that she would not have received them at all!

(I should have used Hallmark.com, as I've never had problems with that company even being international. Next time, I'll know better.)

May I add my thanks in advance for your time and attention to this matter.

Sincerely yours,

B.L.

d812c17a, 2010-05-10, 09:44AM CDT

Unfortunately, these national flower companies rely on local florists for the floral arrangements. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they stink.

I had problems with a local florist used by 1-800-Flowers (see "Bad Floral arrangement" on this site). The company representative was on the phone with my wife and the local florist for at least 15 minutes, to no avail. The florist was surly and rude to both my wife and the company representative.

The problem was resolved by 1-800-Flowers by contacting a different florist and having the correct arrangement sent.

Hopefully, 1-800-flowers will stop using this florist and withhold payment for the bad floral arrangement, since the florist does no seem to care what kind of reputation his business gets.