Flavor Wave Oven

Posted on Thursday, January 26th, 2006 at 12:00am CST by 822d0e40

Company: Flavor Wave Oven

Flavor Wave Oven

January 25, 2006

In Sept 2005 I ordered a "Flavor Wave" oven after watching an infomercial on tv. The company that manufactures this item is "Thane International". I received my order in about 6 weeks and put it away to give to my wife for Christmas. On Christmas day she opened it and we were excited to try this new product out so we brought in a frozen chicken from the freezer to cook.

Well it is now January 25, 2006 and we are still waiting for our chicken to cook.

As soon as we turned on the oven the fan started up and the cooking light came on and within 2 seconds it burned out. After Christmas I called the company to complain and was told they would send a replacement but I would have to pay for for the part. After complaining that it did not work "out of the box" I was told that I would not have to pay but that it would have to be backordered.

On January 12th I still had not received the replacement part so I sent an email to Thane Intl at www.thane.com. I felt that if they could not ship my replacement part immediately that I should receive a refund. They refused stating that the 30 day guarantee had expired. Naturally it expired since I bought it as a gift and put it away "unopened" until Christmas Day.

I have no doubt that they could ship me an entire new oven if they cared anything about customer service. But they would rather hassle me.

In addition to the oven I also received "free of charge" except for shipping and handling charges (ha) a food chopper. One of the features of the food chopper was an apple corer. Well we cored exactly one apple on the 2nd apple it too broke.

Sadly there are no controls these days over the junk that is being shipped out of China, if there were these things would not happen.

Bottom line is I want my money back or my replacement shipped now.

I am currently putting together a web page which will go up on my server shortly telling the world about this product. Hopefully it will help and hopefully this email will help but I rather doubt it.

Robert

Johnston City IL 62951

Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_52018#

f1598c42, 2007-10-29, 11:02AM CDT

I wish I had read your complaint before I bought one. I sent one back to repair it, during the first 30 days I owned it. It cost $13.50for shipping. Five months later it needed to be sent back again. It wasn't working. To send it back would cost me $13.50 to ship it, and #13.50 for the return, or $27.00. Forget it! It's a bum deal and not worth it. I could pay out this $27.00 and perhaps need to send it back again for another $27.00. I don't recommend it's purchase.

5a2ffead, 2008-03-12, 10:19PM CDT

I too bought this oven. Mine lasted I think about a year. I didn't keep any paperwork on it. It now is a fire hazard. As soon as I plug it in the element turns on without the fan. I cannot shut it off unless I unplug it.So it just sits there getting very hot and smokes. Good thing I was in the room the first time it happened or I may have burnt my house down.Lucky me I bought two . One for my mother. She never used it so I will see how long it last me. It was a nice oven while it lasted.

7e174393, 2008-03-22, 03:55PM CDT

I bought mine through another online company, the company that advertises and makes Flavorwave and I paid in US dollars, because I wanted one now. I've had my flavorwave for about 4 yrs and I'm still making great meals using it. That's really to bad that you people have had nothing but problems with Thane, I wonder if you can report them to the BBB?

8693cb85, 2008-05-10, 07:07AM CDT

Thanks Robert, you just saved me nearly $100.

3ed9649d, 2008-07-13, 12:52PM CDT

The problem is this is not the Original Flavor Wave Oven. I've had mine for eight years and I swear by it. Somewhere along the line they switched technology and probably owners. Mine is truly an infrared cooker. There is no heat emanating, no light,no halogen lamp, no noise nor any odors even when cooking bacon or fish. I bought another one for myself and another for a gift. As soon as I opened mine and tried it , it was totally different. They lie first of all. There is no infrared element to the cooking. It's a stupid halogen lamp with a fan. It was so noisy, bright and it emanated outside heat. It's simply not the same product and I sent it back and apologized to the person I bragged about the gift. I don't know how they get away with calling it an infrared cooker.

77f4d136, 2008-08-18, 02:41AM CDT

Hearthware Home, the company who made the original Flavor Wave oven, now sells the NuWave Oven Pro. The FAQ on the official NuWave Oven website (nuwaveoven.com) explicitly warns against the imitation "Flavor Wave Deluxe" and "Total Chef." The NuWave Oven Pro should be equivalent to the genuine original Flavor Wave product that other posters said worked successfully and without fire hazards. (Ironically, purchasing the NuWave Oven on the official website entitles the buyer to two free imitation Magic Bullet appliances. Still, Hearthware seems to have actual customer service and respectable products.)

be8afcf1, 2008-09-02, 04:41PM CDT

Early Sunday morning (2:30am ish), I saw the infomercial for the Flavor Wave Turbo and, because my girlfriend and I do lots of cooking, purchased one. About half an hour later she arrived at my house after work and I told her about the neat cooker I had just bought. Surprise, the day before the day before one of her friends bought one for her as a shower gift, so we didn't need a second one.

Note here, I was told that it would take four to six weeks for the Flavor Wave to ship, but for another $10 I could buy "expedited" shipping. I declined the offer.

Okay, we didn't need two, so I immediately tried to cancel the order. I called the 800 number where I had made the purchase and the telemarketing company (WEST in Tempe, Arizona and not too far from my house) who said they could only take orders and NOT cancel or change them. I was given the Flavor Wave customer service number and instructed to call there. I immediately called the customer service number, but because it was late and over the Labor Day weekend, all I got was a recorded announcement that they we closed for the weekend/holiday.

Today is Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008 (the first business day after the three-day holiday weekend) and the first thing I did was call Flavor Wave's customer service department to cancel the order before it could possibly ship. I was told the unit was already on the truck and they couldn't take it off. So they couldn't cancel the order and I'd be stuck paying for the original and return shipping. WRONG!!!

They also informed me that, because the entire transaction took place over the phone, the FTC did not require them to offer a 72 hour "cooling off period".

A few minutes ago I called the FTC, who confirmed that the FTC does not offer protection to people who buy things over the phone from infomercials. THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE. Call, write the FTC or use their website to DEMAND that consumers who's orders are entirely in writing or by telephone be given the same protections as a those who order products after a face-to-face meeting with a salesman.

I will also file a written complaint with the Arizona Attorney General's office. And, after posting this comment will file complaints with the Arizona and Phoenix Better Business Bureau.

Oh... and I called the credit card company and had them cancel any and all charges from the Flavor Wave company.

006795cb, 2008-10-31, 02:23PM CDT

I'm so glad I read your complaint, I saw it on tv and I'm was about to order it but I forgot to write down the phone number so I came online to get the number, I'm very happy I read your complaint because I would have been very angry if I paid over $100 for some garbage and they started giving me the run around.......i just want to say thank you.............

b6a87e60, 2008-11-03, 02:02AM CST

Thank you for the info. I was thinking of buying it. Your complaint just saved me alot of money.

8d478227, 2008-11-15, 01:49PM CST

I just finished watching the infomercial on TV and was thinking of getting this for my kids...but after reading what I'm reading I think I'll look for something else to get them for Christmas.

9268bb80, 2008-11-30, 04:32PM CST

Its too bad the technology has change I have had mine for about 3-4 years and I love it I was i need replacement parts but I was going to buy a new one just to have another one around in case this one broke down, but it has not so far. maybe I will just get replacement parts and keep my old one!!!

1df736e7, 2008-12-09, 06:57PM CST

The original flaver wave was made by HEARTHWARE It is now called nu-wave oven. Iv'e hade mine for 6 years still works great

accbf11a, 2009-01-25, 12:17AM CST

Thanks, You just saved me a hundred bucks and the hassle of dealing with substandard product.

53df4c02, 2009-08-01, 09:43PM CDT

I am a retired electrical engineer, and love idea of a high air flow convection oven. I started with the American Harvest Jet Stream Oven. It was great, got it from Sears. But the acrylic dome cracked after just a few months of use,and I made Sears replace it twice, until the third time they wouldn't. The Flavor Wave Deluxe has the same problem, mine cracked, but it took much longer for the Flavor Wave Deluxe to crack.

But that's not the worst problem with the Flavor Wave Deluxe. It has an under-rated relay inside, that failed for me, and also from a post here, that resulted in the heating element staying on with no fan, and if not noticed, could quite likely catch on fire. I am surprised that there have not been any house fires as a result. So I replace the relay with a robust solid state relay, and the crack in the acrylic was not causing it to fall apart, so I was good to go.

But the halogen heating element just burned out, and I can't yet find a place to get a replacement.

That's my story. At least the newest version of this oven has a dome made of glass, so that part is solved, but I don't know about the electrical issues.

63c7b2a4, 2009-09-03, 12:03PM CDT

I wish I would have read all of these suggestions/complaints before I bought one. I opened mine on the first day I received it, put it together, and tried to cook pork chops. They were disgusting! I cleaned it afterward, like they do in the informercial.... I would rather clean the oven. It was not an easy task. I wanted to return mine prior to the 30 day trial, but noticed that no information regarding the company was inside the box or packaging. I ordered this from the tv and did not remember what the name of the company was. I searched online, found the number, called and every time I call it rings busy. I have emailed customer service and have not received a reply. The customer service for this company is awful! I guess I am stuck with it.

d294cdc9, 2009-11-21, 06:30PM CST

my wife purchased this oven it worked for about 2seconds and never worked again does anyone have a number to the service dept the one that i have is out of service.

efb3bffa, 2009-12-05, 09:58AM CST

where do i get parts for my original flavor wave? approximatly 8 years old!

02f09cbc, 2009-12-09, 06:35PM CST

Hi funny you talk about the heating part blew. We bought it in 2007 and after a couple of months it also blew. The heating lamp died. So they told me to ship it to them and they sent me a new heating part. A few months after the done cracked and i had to buy another one, it lasted 1 year and i am back to the same thing. The (plastic dome) cracked again. I just emailed them today and they told me that unfortunately this oven no longer exists and neither do the parts so i would have to buy the replacement oven which is the Turbo Flavor Wave Oven. They built it with a glass dome instead of plastic. So my question is why do i have to re-buy a new oven and pay $150 for it when it was their mistake in the first place for making it plastic? I sent a complaint email and no one has answered. I'm never buying anything from Thane again! T

c6f5ed62, 2009-12-15, 09:11AM CST

I just bought one too at a Canadian Tire store... Had to return the first one after 4 days because the fan stopped working, now have to return the SECOND one because of again, a faulty fan. My mom has one and it has worked for YEARS... just upset i cant get one that seems to want to last more than a month...

b112a2da, 2009-12-15, 09:12AM CST

4deece47, 2010-04-13, 09:08PM CDT

I received one for Christmas. The 5th time I used it the heating element burned out. The place I purchased it only gives refunds for 30 days. Mine was glass so the top did not crack but that was the most expensive pieces of chicken I ever cooked. From the comments I might as well through the thing away. Definately an expensive piece of junk.

13ddc832, 2010-04-21, 06:18AM CDT

I too have had the same problem after only 12 weeks of using a J&M flavorwave bought off e-bay. My light blew and the seller has not replied to any of my emails nor has e-bay done anything about it saying there is no warranty stipulated on this ad. So I am stuck with a worthless piece of junk. Don't buy a J&M anyone as no help from anyone about warranties or replacement parts. There are so many still being sold. Just wish more would be done about this seller who is making a killing from everyone, but if they take a good look at the ad and comment to the seller about warranty first before buying. No guarantees for them otherwise. I have had no support from anyone.

eb8d362f, 2010-06-17, 02:01AM CDT

I also have the original and after about 8 years it is still going strong! I love it! Only problem is that I have lost my book with instructions and recipes... is there anyoe out there that could maybe help me with some recipes etc?

e32fb7f3, 2010-12-13, 06:39PM CST

WHERE CAN WE BUY PARTS FOR OUR tURBO FLAVOR WAVE OVEN? FAN WORKS BUT WILL NOT HEAT.

1c2662a6, 2011-01-02, 03:30PM CST

i also bought a flavorwave oven platinum and to had the same problem.i was cooking a ham and the heating bulb blewout and i still have payments but they told me they would send me a replacement and nothing yet and i had it for two weeks before it went out no me.it's now the new year and this is my second flavorwave oven no more next the nuwave oven. paul

54cbf242, 2012-02-11, 10:47PM CST

I also purchaced this oven.after 6 days of moderate cooking the timer mechanism failed and the machine is now wothless.(made in China).I would run away from anyone endorsing this product and avoid the Thane company product line, as there is little reliability and loyalty to their customers....If everyone would buy American,maybe we could remove this consumer junk,and product reliability to a safer more regulated and reliable level.Sgt R. Rivera USMC

3618ed4a, 2013-06-15, 03:13PM CDT

Purchased two Flavor Wave Deluxe Ovens several years ago and I like them except for two problems.

UNIT 1..... The more serious problems is the heating element coming on without the benefit of the fan causing the top of the unit to start melting. The disturbing part of this MALFUNCTION is that the unit was off when this event occurred. Was able to reset the unit to normal after things cooled down but this same event reoccurred several weeks later. Lesson learned ...unplug this fire hazard when not in use.

Second problem...........the plastic dome has cracked.

UNIT #2..... Yesterday 6/14/13 for the first time I decided to use my second Flavor Wave Deluxe Oven.

Plugged it in and left the kitchen.

Two hours later I hear a noise emanating from the kitchen. The units fan was running for no apparent reason. I could not turn the fan off manually. Unplugged the unit and eventually was able to reset the unit. Verified the unit was absolutely positively off. Several hours later I returned to the kitchen and the fan was running again.

Lesson learned........Unplug this unit when not in use as this thing has a mind of its own.