Virgin Mobile / cell phone service

Posted on Friday, September 23rd, 2005 at 12:00am CDT by 86460846

Company: Virgin Mobile / cell phone service

Virgin Mobile / cell phone service

September 22, 2005

I purchased a Virgin Mobile phone from BestBuy and used the phone without incidence for approximately 8 months. Last May, I received my credit card bill, which had two $50 top-up charges on the same day in May. I did not knowingly top-up two times for $50 each on the same day, as I generally use about $20 a month. So, while I was paying my credit card bill, I wrote a note that the second $50 charge was a duplicate. The credit card company researched the problem with Virgin Mobile, and sent me a letter about a month later that stated that I was double-billed and that the charge for $50 was reversed. About a week after that, I could not use my Virgin Mobile phone. I called in to the Customer No-Service line and was told that my account was suspended. The first supervisor I spoke to, Alex, said that I should not have disputed a charge with my credit card company and instead called Virgin Mobile directly. Alex told me that the letter sent to Virgin Mobile by my credit card company said that the charge was "unauthorized", meaning that someone else had access to my telephone, and so Virgin Mobile suspended my account so that no one could use it. In order to rectify the situation, my credit card company would have to fax a letter stating that the charge was not "unauthorized", but rather "double-billed". I fulfilled the request and so did the credit card company. Virgin Mobile then inactivated my account.

After three emails and a second call to the Virgin Mobile Customer No-Service line, I found that since the account had previously been suspended for 30 days with no resolution, that led to an inactivation. On my third call to the Virgin Mobile Customer No-Service line, I spoke with the supervisor Kevin. Kevin again gave me the line that I should not have disputed a charge with my credit card company and instead called Virgin Mobile directly, and that I would have to have my credit card company would have to fax a letter stating that the charge was not "unauthorized", but rather "double-billed". I stated that this was already completed. Then he told me that they did not have the letter, so I should call the credit card company again. After much arguing, he finally told me that he would re-activate my account, but there would be a $10 fee. I thought paying a $10 fee to clear up their billing mistake was outrageous, so I refused. I stated that I would return the phone since I have not been able to use it for 3 months due to their billing mistake. Of course, he was quick to remind me that the return policy is 30-days and I would not be able to return the phone. On my fourth call to the Virgin Mobile Customer No-Service line, I spoke with Dwayne. Dwayne told me that they would not re-activate my account because I had actually used the $50 in top-up charges that was reversed by my credit company, so I actually owed Virgin Mobile $50. There is no way that I used that money because my phone was inactivated immediately upon receipt of the credit card dispute. I spoke with the credit card company and their research confirmed that the Finance Dept of Virgin Mobile confirmed that the charge was double-billed. When I asked Virgin Mobile to fax me an account history to prove that the $50 was used, I was told by Dwayne that they could do that, for a fee of $50. So the bottom line is, after three months that consisted of four emails and four calls to supervisors at Virgin Mobile, I am stuck without service for the $100 phone that I paid for. The customer service at Virgin Mobile has been worse than horrendous. I am left with just dumping the phone and signing up with a new company. Sharon Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_49039#