Kost Tire Ripoff

U.S.A.

Phone Number:

607-723-9471

Fax:

My story can be traced back to early last year when my car won't start. Because its location is close to my place, I called them up and asked whether they will be able to handle the situation. They said they need to run an engine test and should be able to fix the problem. I had my car towed to their place. The service guy (he is gone now) brought up a list of parts that needed to be replaced and said my car needed a major tune-up. I turned down a few things that I think are irrelevant to the problem and let them go. The cost added up to over $400. Given I am still student, I really hoped it will fix the problem. The problem is that the service guy came to me with a little hesitation because the problem remained even lots of parts have been changed. They suggested me to bring my car to Nissan's place and have it checked there. You can imagine how angry I am. Finally, the problem got fixed in Nissan's place. They gave $55 refund for the part I returned because Nissan told me the part wasn't used. I paid about $200 labor for almost nothing and about $150 for parts that didn't cause the problem. I would not have stopped by that store if it were not the case that I suspected some batter problem caused my car won't start again(They replaced battery for me the first time). They found that my alternator is bad. They charged me for $250 for alternator and $ 45 for belt and told me 20% discount applied already. I didn't know the fair price for a alternator by then but I know it is common for these guys to charge 100% more than the retail price. Since they said they already gave me a big discount. I thought the price won't be too unreasonable. I even give them more business by asking them to change my tires so that they have a better reason to give a better deal. Because I don't trust these guys that much, I checked the alternator price in a nearby advanced auto part. They told me that the part will only cost $128 if the core is returned. I returned the store immediately and question them why they still charge over $100 more and asked them if they can install customer-supplied part. They said it is against store policy. I have seen people bring their parts here and have the installed last time. Obviously, they are selectively executing their policy if they have one. They just want to make $$$. When I ask them if they have done anything to the alternator, they said they have taken if off the car. When I insisted on have a look at it, they refused. It is apparent that they were lying to me. They threatened to me that they will charge me $108 labor even if I bring me somewhere else. I kind of gave in because my car won't start it could be more costly. I ended up spending $950 for 4 tires and an alternator and belt replacement. They didn't explain the tires they used. They charged me over $90/each and claimed they gave a big discount and the tire has 70,000 miles. As it turns out, the tire may cost some $60/each. The interesting thing when I was sitting there waiting. Two ladies were arguing the wrong things they

have done to their car. They knew the part is defective but they wanted to cover it up. This place

will soon go out of business and people here are for money. I figured I got ripped off about $300 for the

work they have done. They didn't even return my past service record. I am going to get it back tomorrow. Jun

Binghamton, New York

U.S.A. Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_49189#

a7aa0bbf, 2007-12-04, 08:55AM CST

Sorry to hear about your problem. How shops like this can grow I'll never know. I always call around before giving the OK to have work done, especially to find out how much the parts actually cost if I were to purchase it myself.

Ever take a look at their website? Looks like a 5th grade class had themselves quite a fun project. :)

d5095b57, 2008-04-04, 05:00PM CDT

We at Kost Tire Strive to resolve any customer complaint and have no record of contact with this complaintant. I would love to resolve this to your satisfaction if given the chance.

Please call Dan @ Kost Tire 607-723-1230

Thank You.

15fc7630, 2008-04-04, 12:48PM CDT

Kost Tire strives to rectify all customer complaints. Kost has no record of being notified if this complaint. I urge the complaintant to call Dan at Kost Tire 607-723-1230 and I am sure we can come to an agreement.

Thanks,

15fc7630, 2008-04-04, 05:02PM CDT

Please call Dan @ Kost Tire 607-723-1230

Thank You.

b905c0c9, 2008-10-04, 07:18AM CDT

I also had a problem with that same kost tire center but was directed to dan and was satisfied as to the way he handled the situation, why not give him the chance to try and do the right thing you may be surprised,mistakes get made all the time but when he went out of his way to rectify the problem i have to say yes i do again use kost as my service center and had no further problems

d0cb0e53, 2008-10-22, 09:41AM CDT

THIS COULD BE WHY THEY ARE GOING UNDER!

SCAM ARTISTS ARE SOON DISCOVERED AND IT'S KOST'S TURN.

ALWAYS CHECK TO SEE IF TECHNICIANS ARE PAID ON A COMMISSSION BASIS BEFORE GOING THERE FOR WORK. THEY WILL TO SELL YOU EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN AND NOT FIX YOUR CAR. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IS NOT A FACTOR IN THIS CASE.

a02557dd, 2008-10-30, 02:02AM CDT

I understand right where your coming from. I took my wife's 2004 Chevy to the Kost on Court Street for Tire Rotation and to have it winterized. This guy comes back and tells me the ""BALL JOINTS"" are bad and would not do any work unless I had them replaced. I told him to take the car out of the garage and I would take it to the dealer and have it checked. They charged me $ 45.00 for nothing, but I got the receipt to prove what it needed and what I paid.

Keep in mid this car has only 21,000 mile on it and is driven maybe once or twice a week, and then only locally.

Taking it to Gault in Endicott (place of purchase), it was found there was not one single thing wrong with the ""BALL JOINTS"" like the guy at Kost said.

I called this so called "DAN" and he gave me a hard time over the phone telling me that they stand behind their work and all that crap. Needless to say, I figure I should have listened to a friend who told me never do business at any of the KOST shops. They are noted for ripping the public off.

How TRUE !!!!

Word of mouth is like a fire, good reports on a place to 10 people gets 1 to go there. Bad Reports to 10 people gets them to spread it like wildfire and customer base drops off.

Word Of Mouth Can Make Or Break A Business. Help Spread The Word About This Place and Their Rip Off Policy !!!!

a66215d4, 2008-10-30, 02:03AM CDT

How TRUE !!!!

09d24138, 2008-11-07, 08:37AM CST

I read the complaints on this site when I had a recent issue with Kost Tire. But, seeing as how this guy, Dan suggested calling him if there was a problem I did. I called Dan this morning and in less than 5 minutes, he resolved my problem. No business is perfect, it's how you solve the problems that counts. I will continue to be a Kost Tire customer because of Dan's care and concern today.

abf61d6a, 2009-01-12, 10:46PM CST

well, where do i start. i can understand you being upset about the original problem not being properly repaired. that would be where my sympathy ends though. As far as a over pricing issue with the alternator. a carpenter or a plumber will charge sometimes 2 or 3 times the cost of parts for a job, but noone crys, and why because you the consumer cant fix your plumbing or build a house so you pay what ever the cost because you cant do it....... same thing. And besides that stop for one second and think how much it costs to run a garage. With all the utilities,insurance,labor costs etc.

do you really expect them to sell you parts for what you could payfor it at the lowest quality discount parts house in town. Spoken like a true uneducated consumer. try calling a local napa or carquest for a real quote on a real part.

now as far as you bringing your own parts, why dont you try bringing our own eggs and bread to a diner of your choice and see if they will cook them up for a labor charge.

Most garage insurance policies will not satisfy a claim for a faulty part if the garage can not prove that they owned the part prior to installation.

And if you have a problem or think you have a problem a service writer is more likley to help if the problem is presented to him like a human being !

Who says your tires are only worth 60 bucks, where is that information in your complaint.

i got news for you, there can be

100 of these complaints, about 80% are

B.S and the other 10% can be easily taken care of at the store level if handled properly and if the consumer isnt being completely unreasonable.

my adive to you is , learn how to work on your car yourself, and discount part stores are great , if you know how to fix your car.

If i seem to come off rude about this i am sorry. this is from the point of view from someone that has been around the general public for a long time, and i am obviously wired much different that the adverage consumer

943841a4, 2009-08-21, 09:12AM CDT

I will no longer do busines with Kost Tie, I had 4 new tires purchased within 1 year and only 7,000 miles on the car, the front tires were worn, I had road hazzard, I called the store prior telling them the story having had the road hazzard they stated to bring the car in, brought the car in said they don't cover road hazzard & that tire wear is not coveredar, because of the car being out of aligment, tires were roated at 3,000 miles Kost said they were not, wanted to charge me for 2 new tires and alligment, oh and a complete muffler when I just had a pipe put on 2 weeks ago. I will no longer do buisness with this comapany again, I would also tell anyone planning to use their service to think twice. The tire paying $65 should not wear out within 1 year and 7,000 I can purchase a quality used tire for $25.00 with a guarantee, unbelievable that they would not cover 2 new tires, said they were giving me a discount, how do I know if I'm even getting a discount I don't even know the price prior.

7a95c76f, 2010-04-16, 10:14AM CDT

I personally have never had any issues with Kost Tire. I have utilized the services of the North Syracuse location for the past 7 years. Marty (employee who I work with everytime) is always helpful. Upstate weather is crazy, and I know when I leave there, my vehicles are always running properly. I also understand there are bad apples out there, but walking into a auto garage and saying my car is not working, usually will open you up for the predators. I would not go as far as saying all Kost Tires are Rip Offs because believe it or not, there still are people out there driven by customer service.

cec8a6e3, 2010-05-21, 09:17AM CDT

first,dont take your car to a tire shop for a "no start" or "driveability" issue.

second,ask the shop to diagnose the problem and give them a time limit as far as how much time you will allow them to diagnose the problem and call you with the prognosis and go from there.

find a small local shop that is well equipped and build a relationship with the guys there.you will see the same faces for years to come and get to know them on a first name basis.always bring a couple coffees or send them a pizza,trust me it will go a long way.they will go above and beyond for you.stay out of chain "repair" shops where they change employees like underwear.

803f0a12, 2010-06-26, 08:24AM CDT

It is unfortunate that you had troubles with your vehicle. But I think you are not being realistic about what a repair shop should charge for parts. They have overhead to pay for, so why would you expect them to sell you parts at their cost? Typically a business runs at about 30% overhead. So if they charged you the cost of the part plus 30% they are breaking even. How long do you think they would stay in business operating like that? I fully agree with some of the previous posts about the reason you bring your car, or call the plumber, carpenter etc...is because you can't do the work yourself. I am capable of doing work on my own car, but often I will bring it to Kost because I do not have the time, or the tools, and even more important, the day to day experience to properly get the job done. I also agree that nobody is perfect, but how they handle themselves if an error has been made determines the type of business you are dealing with. In your case you are not comfortable with Kost, so I suggest you find someone that you are comfortable with. But I also think that you will eventually find fault with another shop simply because you don;t seem to have a good understanding of how a business operates. They are in business to make money, which does not constitute stealing. That's called free enterprise which is what this country has been built on. I wish you luck in the future.

6594f72c, 2010-11-14, 08:17AM CST

Do you bring eggs to the dinner and ask how much they will cook them for?

Your comparison from parts store to service store is not a fair one.

As a programmer, I programmed for lots of industries, but the automotive parts business is one that is unique. A service station might have an aggrement to buy X products a month, or they pay a fee to have the right to buy products and have them delivered....Remember, you didnt count your time going to the automotive store. "Parts" is not their business, service is, and therefore they sell much less. There was typically a guy in a little truck that might have made a special trip for your parts. Also, there can be a quality diffrence. You know...I have the option to pay anywhere between 16 and 60 dollars for brake pads for a car.

However....Service places that have a sign for an hourly rate...should install anything you wish...(they are not a dinner....even though...I bashed you a bit)...but dont look for a discount.

Also...when I was in college I took my car to a tire place for carbator problem...then after they fixed it and put a new one one...the car caught fire...I actually blame myself, you should know better then getting real work done at a tire center.

9e89ffa5, 2012-09-19, 12:07PM CDT

I witnessed the worst experience of a business ripping someone off in my life! I was the one who got ripped off and abused by Kost Tire of Milford PA.. I will start off by saying that the decision maker in this issue was the regional manager of Kost Tire. To make a long story very short here is what happened. I took my foreign car in to get an oil change and the manager called me into the garage to show me that his 18 year old looking mechanic stripped my oil pan threads. Here is how this rotten company handled it. They pushed my car out into the parking lot, handed me my key and said "sorry you are going to have to tow your car 80 miles away to your dealer to fix it.". They had a courtesy car sitting in the lot and never offered me that. They did not even offer me a ride anywhere. I had to walk down the highway into the town of Milford, PA, with my ill health. It was one of the most rotten, unproffesional things I have ever witnessed a company do to someone. There is no excuse for what they did or how they handled the situation. I ended up going to small claims court. Of course when it came down to having to walk into court they decided to then start to call me and act so friendly and sincere about it. I would not return their calls. I was going to force them to take their lawyer into court. Well they ended up not even appearing in court. When the Judge read what had happened this is what was said, "I was appalled when I read what Kost Tire has done.". I won the case without any questions asked because they did not have the courtesy of even showing their faces. I have since heard of rotten stories about this company. Just boycott these guys and they will go away!

51718922, 2012-11-30, 06:01PM CST

took my van to this kost tire to expensive to fix asked them to charge the battery to get the van 0.4 miles to car dealership for a trade in guy said it wouldnt work i explained that i put a quick charge on it to drive it to them with no problem my wife and son went to pick it up they charge it then left hazard lights on my wife started the van shut the flashers off got out of thier driveway and it died nobody would help her at kost except to use thier phone book to call a tow truck police had to come and put flares behind because she was allmost hit twice will never use kost tire again dan dont even bother getting back in touch with me also workers said there was no way they put the flashers on calling my wife a liar bullshit to friggen scared to admit they made a mistake

Vernon S., 2013-05-07, 01:57PM CDT

I took my car to Kost for inspection On the lift I noticed a pise of rubber hanging from the gas tank. The machanc said I needed to replce the straps holding the gas tank on he said the were rusted. I think all that had to be done as put the rubber pice back on it cost me $230.00 He said he would not pass the car if I did not replace the straps. So I could not say no I had to pass the car.